Creamy stout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creamy stout

I'm trying to make a creamy stout with some sweetness.

This will be my 3rd brew. My previous one, I think I added too much sugar.
    I was aiming for 6% AVB. But I think the brown sugar might have added a different tast.

My new idea looks like this, please feel free to comment.

1. 1x Coopers Stout
    2. 1.5 Kg DME
    3. 1Kg Dextrose
    4. 500g Lactose
    5. 250g Maltodextrine
    6. Coopers yeast
    (I can maybe do 2Kg DME and only 500g Dextrose)

Not sure how the colour will be affected.

As I said above, I'm looking for a creamy stout at about 6%.

Cost is also a factor as well as trying to stay with extract only brewing.

If you want to do extract only brewing, stop using the plain sugars like dextrose. Where lactose will increase mouthfeel and that "rich, creamy feel", dextrose will drastically reduce it. I would much rather recommend you use a brew enhancer instead. It uses DME instead of plain sugars, meaning you don't lose that mouthfeel.

Anyway, you can use a stout tin, but then use two bags of DME if you really want to push the ABV a bit. Use a sweet stout DME and a dry stout DME bag together, and then boost the sweetness with lactose AFTER the fermentation is complete and you're almost at bottling. That way you can control how much lactose you add so that it's not too sweet from the start.

What shop are you buying from so that I can recommend ingredients for you? Either way, getting a good yeast and not a generic one will help your stout along a lot as well.

Comment

I'm using Beerlab. As I'm on the West coast I have to courier everything, but with Beerlab I can use friends that frequently goes to CT.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacques View Post
        I'm using Beerlab. As I'm on the West coast I have to courier everything, but with Beerlab I can use friends that frequently goes to CT.
        Alrighty then... Beerlab doesn't seem to have a selection of brew enhancers, so I wouldn't recommend them. Their yeast selection is also a bit on the low side. Let me recommend this:

Base (includes a good yeast): http://www.brewcraft.co.za/mangrove-...html?cat=29558
        Enhancer: http://www.brewcraft.co.za/mangrove-...html?cat=24236

The base includes a good yeast in the bag - just make sure you open it CAREFULLY. The Enhancer should give you a proper ABV boost in a 23l batch without watering it down too much. Add to that some lactose and cocoa/coffee to adjust the stout to your taste and you're good to go!

Comment

Sorry I can't give much input on extract brewing but I would recommend that you consider using alternative yeast to the coopers yeast. A packet or two of US-04 should do the job at a fair price. If you are getting it (coopers yeast) free with the extract and you really want to use it, I'd still consider purchasing a packet of US-04 and even using the two strains together to ensure you have sufficient cell count. With stronger beers, 6% and upwards, yeast cell count and viability becomes significantly bigger problem than with lower abv beers.

Rather not use US-05 on this as it might give you a too high attenuation.
          The Flying Brew
          Last edited by The Flying Brew; 3 May 2019, 11:04. Reason: Clarity

Comment

I'll try and find out if someone in CT stocks it.
            Looks good, I'll give it a try if I can find it around here.

Comment

Originally posted by The Flying Brew View Post
              Sorry I can't give much input on extract brewing but I would recommend that you consider using alternative yeast to the coopers yeast. A packet or two of US-04 should do the job at a fair price. If you are getting it (coopers yeast) free with the extract and you really want to use it, I'd still consider purchasing a packet of US-04 and even using the two strains together to ensure you have sufficient cell count. With stronger beers, 6% and upwards, yeast cell count and viability becomes significantly bigger problem than with lower abv beers.

Rather not use US-05 on this as it might give you a too high attenuation.
              Thanks. I don't know much about yeast. Still learning.

Comment

Some good advice above, just a 2 cent side note- The simple sugars will dry out your beer and also give it a thinner mouth feel.

In addition carbonate your beer a bit lower if you want a softer smoother mouth feel, too much co2 can have a biting sharp effect - Poor a Castle Milk stout and let it stand in the fridge for about 10 min, open another and taste them side by side

+1 on using SO-4 yeast
                2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

I'm currently priming at about 3g brown sugar per 750ml.

Is that about right?

Comment

give the guys at beerlab a call or email, they don't list everything online - pretty much an s.african thing to only use your online presence "a bit" i digress, check out beerguavara, i haven't seen kits, but they do stock other stuff
                    http://beerguevara.com/product-categ...ves-chemicals/
                    can't help much with kits, but would echo the "use proper yeast" my dry yeast preference is fermentis. i despise mangrove jack, but only as i had a couple of bad runs with it. could be better for someone else, who knows? i wont be using it again

Comment

I'm currently priming at about 3g brown sugar per 750ml.

Is that about right?
                      Brown sugar gives taste. I would prime with dextrose rather, or even dark DME. 3g per 750ml is a bit on the low side, but it can work. I would push that to 4g per 750ml when using DME.

Comment

Thanks. I don't know much about yeast. Still learning.
                        Very well understood. There's an age old saying. Brewers make wort, yeast makes beer. With a good fermentation, you can end up with a pleasurable beer even if the recipe wasn't spot on. It doesn't quite work the other way around.

Do you have any temperature control at the moment? It's a fairly good time of the year to be brewing ales if you don't but there are some simple hacks that will assist.

Comment

My "buitekamer" is fairly constant. In the last month and a half it has been running at 18-20°C.

I'll give them a call.

Thanks for all the information, I appreciate it.

Comment

It's only your 3rd brew, so i'd say run with what you've got (can get)... drop the Dextrose like you said and up the DME ....

Once you know what this recipe gives you as a beer, you can tweak it with the second version

Keep it simple
                            The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

My "buitekamer" is fairly constant. In the last month and a half it has been running at 18-20°C.
                              Die "buitekamer" behoort te werk. Try to pitch a bit lower than what you want to ferment at. I'd try and get it down to 16 degrees C for pitching. Some brewers might want it a bit warmer but without fermentation fridge, it's probably safer to go for the lower end. If you don't get a heat wave, you will be ok.

Comment

Working...
                              X