No announcement yet.

No Chill Method

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah now that you put it that way, it does make sense. I'm actually looking forward to it. I was super stressed about my previous no-chill batch, which I tried to chill anyway, and even lost a night's sleep over. With this one, I'm just going to relax.

Got 25l of tap water tapped off into the cube that was sanitiser. Added some k-meta to make sure all the wild things in it is dead, and that there's no residual chlorine in the water come tomorrow. Tomorrow is brew day. I can't wait!

Comment

• Allow me to chip in without reading the entire thread:My last brew day was also approached by doing the no chill method for the first time. If it was not for my boil urn to giving me so much issues, I could have wrapped up my brew day much earlier. The wort was left overnight in the urn to cool down and was pitched the next morning onto a fresh yeast cake in the fermemter. I might just do this again in future.

Comment

cool3.jpg
        The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Heh I guess that's also an option. Just leave it in the boiler, cover with a towel perhaps to avoid goggas getting in (has a vent at the top) and pour from there into fermenter. Same principle, I guess, and gives more time for the stuff in there to coagulate properly so I'll get less trub in the fermenter?

Comment

• Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
            Heh I guess that's also an option. Just leave it in the boiler, cover with a towel perhaps to avoid goggas getting in (has a vent at the top) and pour from there into fermenter. Same principle, I guess, and gives more time for the stuff in there to coagulate properly so I'll get less trub in the fermenter?
            I kinda use the no chill method. With normal sized batches I will put the lid on the kettle, tie it on with a strap and put it in the kids seashell pool. With 4 liter batches (which is what I brew most often) I pour the boiling wort into a 5 liter sanitised cube and place the cube in the freezer. Either seems to work well, the only infections I've had is when one of the kids throws a toy into a fermenter.
            Do you want to be good or be praised - Epicurus
            Do what you do to the best of your ability, and blessings will follow you

Comment

• Whahahaha, love it! Kids eh? I ban mine from the kitchen during transfer.

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Comment

• Wort is in the cube. Cube isn't warping as much, but definitely soft with the heat. HUGE other issue though. Will post in my thread.

Comment

• OK gents so the no-chill has me converted. It's officially my "new method". I love it. I do have a question though. As I moved the cube outside on Saturday, during the nice cold weather we were having, I placed it on the stoep where it didn't catch rain, but was nicely positioned in a draft to cool down naturally. Perfect, right?

Well, then I stepped inside, looked around and saw the problem. This cube is completely white plastic. It's pretty translucent, and definitely not UV-resistant. So I unlocked the gate again and moved it to the spare bedroom where it gets little light (and the bedroom is pretty cold with the windows open).

Has anyone ever thought about this, or had issues with skunked beers because of the light cubes and the fact that they offer literally no protection, or is this another one of those "I'm overthinking it" things?

Comment

• Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
                    OK gents so the no-chill has me converted. It's officially my "new method". I love it. I do have a question though. As I moved the cube outside on Saturday, during the nice cold weather we were having, I placed it on the stoep where it didn't catch rain, but was nicely positioned in a draft to cool down naturally. Perfect, right?

Well, then I stepped inside, looked around and saw the problem. This cube is completely white plastic. It's pretty translucent, and definitely not UV-resistant. So I unlocked the gate again and moved it to the spare bedroom where it gets little light (and the bedroom is pretty cold with the windows open).

Has anyone ever thought about this, or had issues with skunked beers because of the light cubes and the fact that they offer literally no protection, or is this another one of those "I'm overthinking it" things?
                    This !!!

Like I said, The Aussies sells these things in their LHBS and some of those cubes stand on the shelves way longer than the couple of hours you have yours cooling (which is mostly during the night)

Placing it in direct sunlight would be a different story yes, but RDWHAHB

Comment

• Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                      but RDWHAHB
                      Will definitely do!

Comment

• Looks like the Aussies have moved from no-chill cubes to no-chill bladders.

Screenshot_1.jpg

Available from Kegland.com.au

Comment

• Jirre, can these guys not just stick to tradition!

Could be interesting though. Seems difficult enough handling a hot semi rigid container let alone a flaccid (yes I went there) bag.
                          Cheers,
                          Lang
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

• Looks like a mission.. nee dankie.

Comment

• Yes, these bladder seems perfect to store plenty liters of cooled wort for long periods, but to handle them with hot liquids, might be a bit tricky

They're also perfect for fruit(grape) juices for the making of wine

Comment

• I want to see the video how they clean that. Mmm

Then I may assume it's once-off .. like a condom

Comment

Working...
                                X