No Chill Method

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Chill Method

Hey guys. Has anyone given the no chill method a go? If so, how did it go? I'm tempted to give it a bash on my next brew day as I don't have a chiller.

Gave it a try the other day...beer came out amazing. If you're careful enough to prevent contaminants from getting into your process you'll be fine.
    Using Tapatalk

Comment

I've always done no-chill, no problems. Straight from kettle to cube ... seal ... let sit till next day or 2.

You obviously just have to do some research, as you'll have to either adjust the hop times (usually move them on by ±20min) OR skip the late additions & then the next day use about 3Lts of the "no-chilled" wort to do a quick boil for the late additions (like a hop-tea) which then gets added with the rest of the wort into the fermenter.

I've done both & a mixture of the two depending on the recipe and the amount of hops involved
      The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
        I've always done no-chill, no problems. Straight from kettle to cube ... seal ... let sit till next day or 2
        Great thanks Jigsaw. What do you use as your cube?

Comment

No 8 in this picture.
          "25Lt food grade HDPE2 Jerry Can" from Plastics for Africa

Attached Files

Comment

No 8 in this picture.
            i've never used those. aren't they difficult to clean?

Comment

I don't ferment in there, so there really isn't any nasty cleaning.
              The wort cools in there for a day or two & then gets transferred to a proper FV.
              I then rinse the cube with some hot water followed by a 2Lt Oxydet mix & bathroom scrunchie & I shake the crap out of it.
              The scrunchie helps to scrub the inside walls

Pic of said scrunchie >
              Attached Files

Comment

I don't ferment in there, so there really isn't any nasty cleaning.
                The wort cools in there for a day or two & then gets transferred to a proper FV.
                I then rinse the cube with some hot water followed by a 2Lt Oxydet mix & bathroom scrunchie & I shake the crap out of it.
                The scrunchie helps to scrub the inside walls

Comment

No 8 in this picture.
                  "25Lt food grade HDPE2 Jerry Can" from Plastics for Africa
                  I managed to get a 20 litre HDPE one from plasticland today. Pretty excited to give this no chill thing a go!

Comment

I bought 2 cubes for R20 each from a butchery (they bought vinegar in the drums) They have thick walls and a 2 inside a triangle on the bottom of the cube/drum. Think they will work for no chill.

Cleaned them with detergent and a hand full of marbles in those orange bags that you buy oranges in.

I just put the marbles in the bag and put a rubber band around the bag, then pull the bag over the marbles again, again fastening it with a rubber bands. I did this a few times until I have a loose bag that feels like the bathroom crunchy but is much heavier than the crunchy and scrubs the cube without the marbles being able to touch the plastic of the cube. Make sure the bags are loose otherwise you will struggle to get them out again.

Sanitized and stored the drums.

Now to scale the recipe to increase the boil volume to fill the cube with hot wort and to adjust the hop schedules. Will be going for a simple recipe without super late additions as a 1st attempt, syphon to ferment after cube have chilled overnight, hydrate, pitch and hope for the best.

What did I forget?
                    2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

Have never tried this but would it be possible to add hops in the cube as a late addition? Might get something interesting
                      Primary: APA
                      Bottled: Quad, tripel, K@K red ale
                      Keg 1: Weiss. 2: Weiss. Keg 3: Air. Keg 4: Air
                      Next up: world domination

Comment

Might be worth a go. Thanks for info on cubes.
                        Do you want to be good or be praised - Epicurus
                        Do what you do to the best of your ability, and blessings will follow you

Comment

Originally posted by DieBaas View Post
                          Have never tried this but would it be possible to add hops in the cube as a late addition? Might get something interesting
                          that'd probably work quite well. personally though, i'd just chuck em in after fermentation for some serious hop flavor!

Comment

I've always done no-chill, no problems. Straight from kettle to cube ... seal ... let sit till next day or 2.

You obviously just have to do some research, as you'll have to either adjust the hop times (usually move them on by ±20min) OR skip the late additions & then the next day use about 3Lts of the "no-chilled" wort to do a quick boil for the late additions (like a hop-tea) which then gets added with the rest of the wort into the fermenter.

I've done both & a mixture of the two depending on the recipe and the amount of hops involved

Would you mind sharing you hop shedule for no-chill?
                            Do you want to be good or be praised - Epicurus
                            Do what you do to the best of your ability, and blessings will follow you

Comment

Originally posted by DieBaas View Post
                              I do this a lot

Comment

Working...
                              X