Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've just joined Wort Hogs in my area - I figured it'll be a good way to really learn more. Yea, and I'm active in the tasting/ writing scene - but as an enthusiast, not really as an expert.

Great idea on joining! I've just downloaded the study material and exam guides. I'm going to rope a couple of folks in to learn with me. What a blast!
    - I take it you're certified already?
    “Beer! It was only water, really, with stuff in it. Wasn’t it? And most of what was in it was yeast, which was practically a medicine and definitely a food. In fact, when you thought about it, beer was only a kind of runny bread.” Sir Terry Pratchett

Untappd: https://untappd.com/user/thandiguilherme

Comment

Originally posted by Thandi Guilherme View Post
      I take it you're certified already?
      Yes, I am "Recognised" (level 1). I need 3 more judging points when I am "Certified". I need to redo the tasting exam if I want to go higher than Certified.

Comment

It's quite a thing hey. Understandably, but it is definitely an effort. Would be great to get to Master level someday
        “Beer! It was only water, really, with stuff in it. Wasn’t it? And most of what was in it was yeast, which was practically a medicine and definitely a food. In fact, when you thought about it, beer was only a kind of runny bread.” Sir Terry Pratchett

Untappd: https://untappd.com/user/thandiguilherme

Comment

Originally posted by Thandi Guilherme View Post
          Would be great to get to Master level someday
          That is a LOT of competitions!

In SA the highest ranking judges are National and I think we only have two. Luckily with more competitions that want to be BJCP events, the more chances for us to rate beer!

Comment

1) No, you don't need to be a member of Worthogs or any other brewing club to write the exam, but it will make it easier if a bunch of club members can organise somebody like Chris Roth or Danie Odendaal to come and give a few talks on tasting and off flavours for instance

2) It is a SHIT LOAD of studying, and that's just for the written exam. The tasting exam is a combo of blind tasting (unknown style, you need to taste and then determine the style) and a competetion type evaluation (style provided, you need to mark the beer according to taste, aroma and appearance)

Comment

Originally posted by jakeslouw View Post
              The tasting exam is a combo of blind tasting (unknown style, you need to taste and then determine the style) and a competetion type evaluation (style provided, you need to mark the beer according to taste, aroma and appearance)
              Has this been changed? When I did the exam you are told what style each beer is. However, the beer is not always of that style. It is up to the judge to note that the beer is not to the entered style, but then provide comments stating that the beer will do better as the other style.

Comment

I had a chat with Chris Roth earlier in the year at the Varsity Brewing comp and he reckons there will be changes to the tasting that will correspond to the new 2015 BJCP style guide.

Comment

I had a chat with Chris Roth earlier in the year at the Varsity Brewing comp and he reckons there will be changes to the tasting that will correspond to the new 2015 BJCP style guide.
                  I am more confused about the "blind tasting (unknown style, you need to taste and then determine the style)". Is that new?

Comment

As far as I understand, yes. I could be wrong though.
                    What they're apparently trying to do is get the candidate to put as much of his observations on paper and then try and predict a style. As far as I understand, an incorrect final style choice is NOT an automatic fail: you get points for correctly identifying tastes and aroma and colour.
                    For instance: if you're given a tripel, you don't know it is a tripel, but you correctly identify the key properties but maybe say it is a dubbel, you'll probably pass that section anyway.
                    I think it is to stop people from learning EVERYTHING parrot fashion and then passing using broad key words to score points. We'll see next year.
                    I'll go and see if there are any info videos on Youtube and the beer sites that will assist in the new taste exam.

Comment

What they're apparently trying to do is get the candidate to put as much of his observations on paper and then try and predict a style. As far as I understand, an incorrect final style choice is NOT an automatic fail: you get points for correctly identifying tastes and aroma and colour.
                      That sounds like a good idea. Lets just hope that the beer has no overpowering off-flavours!

Comment

Originally posted by AtronSeige View Post
                        That sounds like a good idea. Lets just hope that the beer has no overpowering off-flavours!
                        are you READY?

I'm so TIRED of critting every bloody beer in front of me.

Roll on the 30th.

Comment

are you READY?

I'm so TIRED of critting every bloody beer in front of me.

Roll on the 30th.
                          Can't wait either. Jakes if you guys have nothing on later you guys should roll up to the Wort East fest. I've got extra tickets so just shout out if you are keen for palate cleansing after the exams.

Comment

Originally posted by Michelle View Post
                            Can't wait either. Jakes if you guys have nothing on later you guys should roll up to the Wort East fest. I've got extra tickets so just shout out if you are keen for palate cleansing after the exams.
                            Hi M

We'll see how we feel afterwards. If we pass, we'll want to celebrate, if we don't, we'll want to drown our sorrows.......

Comment

Working...
                            X