X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9!! That is a lot!!!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Comment

• Ha! I recently built a fermenting chamber. This enables me to do a 40L batch every two weeks. Summer is coming guys, summer is coming.

Comment

• 2017-08-17 14.25.33.jpg
        I learned the above and that brewing 9 batches a month is a target but not a limit I bottled and Kegged 3 Black Lagers a Pils and a Lite Lager yesterday, 4 more to go
        Harhm
        Last edited by Harhm; 17 August 2017, 16:19.
        2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

• Chateau Malt is Castle Malt. So if you purchase Chateau Malt from Beerguevera or elsewhere and you want to add the grains to BeerSmith, find the Castle Malt (English) add-on and install that. Simple!

Comment

• I'm playing with 2 Pilsners, fermenting one with W-34/70 and other S-189 also a Helles with M84. Its amazing how different 3 packets of yeast smelled when I hydrated it. The strongest yeast smell came from the M48 and the S-189 smelled the cleanest.
            Harhm
            Last edited by Harhm; 28 September 2017, 08:45.
            2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

• Originally posted by Harhm View Post
              I'm playing with 2 Pilsners, fermenting one with W-34/70 and other S-189 also a Lager with M84. Its amazing how different 3 packets of yeast smelled when I hydrated it. The strongest yeast smell came from the M48 and the S-189 smelled the cleanest.
              today i learned that m84 yeast has quite a strong yeasty smell...

Comment

• You can freeze a stella rock solid without the bottle breaking or the top popping off.

Comment

• This week I had 2 brett beers on two separate occasions and both times my wife commented on the fact that I smell like alcohol, is this a common trait of brett?

Comment

• Originally posted by PearlJam View Post
                    This week I had 2 brett beers on two separate occasions and both times my wife commented on the fact that I smell like alcohol, is this a common trait of brett?
                    Does your wife associate barnyard/horse blanket with alcohol?

Where the beers really high ABV?

Comment

• Originally posted by AtronSeige View Post
                      Does your wife associate barnyard/horse blanket with alcohol?

Where the beers really high ABV?

She has no idea of the complexities and tastes of different beers!

It was only 5.5% the one and 6.5% the other

Comment

• Dry hopping may cause excessive bubbling

Comment

• Originally posted by AtronSeige View Post
                          Dry hopping may cause excessive bubbling
                          I had exactly the same experience with my Brewdog Lichtenstein Pale Ale (#105). The recipte calls for 25g each of Cascade, Centennial and Amarillo.

Man, what a schlep, having to almost baby-sit my fermenter for the first 24hrs after fermentation started. There was so much foam that I had to regularly push down on the lid to expel the gas that had been blocked by the foam, despite having put on a 15mm blow-off tube.All good in the end though. I bottled the beer last Thursday and it looked great and had a wonderful aroma.
                          Slainte Mhaith!!

Comment

• What did you learn today

Kegs are not “press the green button easy”

This was 3 fills with 5 min pause.
                            Only foam at the nozzle... any pressure.

Unless i just invented “head on tap”
                            CraftyZA
                            Last edited by CraftyZA; 20 December 2017, 14:49.

Comment

• Originally posted by CraftyZA View Post
                              Kegs are not “press the green button easy”

This was 3 fills with 5 min pause.
                              Only foam at the nozzle... any pressure.

Unless i just invented “head on tap”
                              - what keg?
                              - what tap?
                              - did you pre-carbonate? If so, what pressure for how long and what temp?

Comment

• What did you learn today

Originally posted by jakeslouw View Post
                                - what keg?
                                - what tap?
                                - did you pre-carbonate? If so, what pressure for how long and what temp?
                                Corny keg. 9L
                                Unsure of tap. It has that little side regulator.
                                Tried 30psi at 6 degrees for 24 hours. Then dropped to 4 psi to fill a glass. No luck. Then increased to 40 psi at room temp. Been shaking the keg every now and then. It no longer absorbs during shaking. Usually when you shake the keg, you hear the regulator release and pump in more gas. So i think I’m going to disconnect the lines and chill it to 4 degrees and try again.

Ps, i was too impatient to wait for fermentation so i bought 9 of those 1L castles to test the keg system. If that makes a difference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                                CraftyZA
                                Last edited by CraftyZA; 23 December 2017, 07:45.

Comment

Working...
                                X