This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
    There's another article that was fascinating around the amount of hops per liter and the effect thereof, with citrussy flavors peaking at a measly 4g per liter and anything over that throws herbal/tea flavors from the same hop. Iow, hop flavor profiles do change dependent on the amount used p/l . Do check out Tom Shelhammers articles, I can't recall the details right now

Edit:
    http://brulosophy.com/2019/02/21/the...m-shellhammer/
    A few ZA hops display this phenomenon exactly, with pronounced grassy notes when increasing the hop amounts.

Comment

• Quite a few ways to brew, check out 'keptinis' on the garshol blog - baked (in an oven) mash beer. I timed my last brewday 3h40 from mash in to pitching yeast. Would have been quicker if I used kveik (less effort in cooling) I cooled the wort quite a bit for the bohemian pilsner, so that took time....

Originally posted by jannieverjaar View Post
      Brewhacker indeed! Things like this could revolutionize how we brew. Can you imagine?
      Brew day:
      Mash at any temp between 63 and 75C
      Bring to pasteurization temp ( 85 I believe)
      Drain
      Cool
      Add hops and yeast
      Done with like 2-3h max of effort.

Wait 20 to 40days (a bit of a draw back)
      But can be reduced with a bit more mash control

BEER!

Sent from my SM-A750F using Tapatalk

Comment

Quite a few ways to brew, check out 'keptinis' on the garshol blog - baked (in an oven) mash beer. I timed my last brewday 3h40 from mash in to pitching yeast. Would have been quicker if I used kveik (less effort in cooling) I cooled the wort quite a bit for the bohemian pilsner, so that took time....
        we were going to do a keptinis with Dirk van Tonder but sadly that will never happen now

Comment

Quite a few ways to brew, check out 'keptinis' on the garshol blog - baked (in an oven) mash beer. I timed my last brewday 3h40 from mash in to pitching yeast. Would have been quicker if I used kveik (less effort in cooling) I cooled the wort quite a bit for the bohemian pilsner, so that took time....

Hmmm. 'keptinis'...another interesting concept. Thankfully my brewdays are usually around 3.5 hours too, luckily without any shortening of actual processes. Someday I will also look at cutting boil and mash times. I am following all the recent experiments with shortened boils and mashes on this forum.
          Cheers,
          Lang
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

• Originally posted by jannieverjaar View Post
            Dude so if hops break down un fermentable sugars and add bitterness when used for dry hopping why do we still boil or worry about mash temps? Have any of you tried a no boil or quick pasteurization boil brew?

Toevallig het hierdie video ook gister uit gekom ...

The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Hier kom a ding...?

There might be a new craze starting
              Cheers,
              Lang
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

• And you think a Grain Father is cool... This takes brewing to a whole new level!

https://interestingengineering.com/a...CW1k87TfxXkOEw

You learn something new every day!
                Langchop
                Last edited by Langchop; 21 October 2019, 05:37.
                Cheers,
                Lang
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

• Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Using a hop spider makes brewing a whole lot easer than I thought it would. No clogging of outlets and just one hop bag to clean in stead of cleaning a hop bag for every hop addition.

Cant imagine how I took so long to start brewing with a refractometer, quick and easy post mash SG and post boil OG readings, no more cooling of 150 ml of wort just to take a reading.
                    2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

• Yip, I think I did 2 brews were I had to cool the wort to take readings before I decided fnck this, its time for a refractometer and I'm not looking back

What hop spider are you using?

Comment

• DIY spider, old voil bag from back when I used to stuff around with fruit in beer. Some pvc a hose clamp and threaded rod

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
                        2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

• What did I learn today? Well it's taken me a while to catch on but: dont judge a beer by the taste of the FG sample. Let it condition for 2 weeks and then taste. Some beers even longer. My two most recent brews, the IRA and the Pale ale both turned out amazing! Their finished!

Comment

• Don't "celebrate" a successful double brew day with a few Belgium quads, especially when skipping lunch. 10%'ers is no joke!

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Comment

• Roflol

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2265[/ATTACH]

Comment

• I learned today that I didn't take enough care when I saved the yeast for the beer i bottled last week and now i have a spoiled batch.
                                I would call it a sour beer if it was even almost drinkable. But nope, this going down the drain. And now I dont have a home brew to drink while brewing tomorrow

Comment

Working...
                                X