This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by billionairebum View Post
    Dussel Altbier 1lt from Drayman Brewery is a locally produced German styled beer that is absolutely fantastic. Seriously.
    Beautiful copper color, nice and light at 4%, not a lot of complex flavours (IMHO). Just an easy drinking beer.
    I'd also recommend their weisse beer on tap at Schwabinger. Not sure if they distribute those in the 1l bottles.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Flying Brew View Post
      I'd also recommend their weisse beer on tap at Schwabinger. Not sure if they distribute those in the 1l bottles.
      Thats fair, seems like another trip to Schwabinger is in order then.
      "Well, I suppose if I’m being honest, there were a few times in the past where I admit I did have a drinking problem,

But I can truthfully say that I’ve become more responsible since then,

and today I always make sure that I have enough beer around so that I’ll never have a problem drinking again."

Comment

• Beersmith 3 is on sale.
        Get it herehttps://beersmithrecipes.com/checkout

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
        2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

• Originally posted by Harhm View Post
          Beersmith 3 is on sale.
          Get it herehttps://beersmithrecipes.com/checkout

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
          Still doesn't have a bulk inventory upload function.

Comment

• I looked at beersmith, but am happy to with the grainfather apps (I use both) Am I missing something here?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Comment

• Beersmith and Eskom are NOT friends.

Due to a power outage the recipe that I had open went missing.

Not sure how, but magic happened and I now have a physical copy of the recipe, but not the electronic version.

So: When you are not working on Beersmith (on a PC at least), save and close.

Comment

• Just a really good read I think many of you world enjoy...

http://scottjanish.com/dry-hopping-e...s-ibu-testing/

*would enjoy
                Langchop
                Last edited by Langchop; 6 March 2019, 09:14.
                Cheers,
                Lang
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

• Originally posted by Langchop View Post
                  Just a really good read I think many of you world enjoy...

http://scottjanish.com/dry-hopping-e...s-ibu-testing/
                  Interesting, my first ever IPA only had 30g of dry hops, my last IPA had 90g of dry hops and its seemed sightly less bitter than usuall. Both had the same estimated IBU's.
                  A recent IPA I made I decreased my 60min hop addition and doubled my 15min addition and plan to dry hop with 60g hops.

This is based on the below article.
                  https://www.morebeer.com/category/se...ma-flavor.html

If it works as per the article in the future I will have little on no 60min hop additions and all hop additions after the 20min mark.
                  Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

• Originally posted by BeerHolic View Post
                    Interesting, my first ever IPA only had 30g of dry hops, my last IPA had 90g of dry hops and its seemed sightly less bitter than usuall. Both had the same estimated IBU's.
                    A recent IPA I made I decreased my 60min hop addition and doubled my 15min addition and plan to dry hop with 60g hops.

This is based on the below article.
                    https://www.morebeer.com/category/se...ma-flavor.html

If it works as per the article in the future I will have little on no 60min hop additions and all hop additions after the 20min mark.
                    Forgot to mention, also doubled the wirlpool addition and added only once at 70-75C.
                    Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

• Originally posted by BeerHolic View Post

Yea this is sort of what I have been moving toward. I usually 60min pure bitter hop up to less than half the IBU and get the rest from big, late hop additions, usually 5 minutes but no more than 10 minutes.
                      Cheers,
                      Lang
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

• FWIW - I only do 30min boils now and I hop at 30(bittering) and 5(aroma) that means more hops needed to push the ibu upward, which is good as I have way too many hops and need to use it before they oxidize too much. The dryhopping effect on bitterness article is great, read it some ago. My 60Ibu ipa is not necessarily 60IBU with a 100+g dryhop, but it's still damn good. One piece of information I would love to find is a formula that you can apply using the alpha acid % of your hop/s to indicate how much isomerized alphas are absorbed during the dry hop stage.

There's another article that was fascinating around the amount of hops per liter and the effect thereof, with citrussy flavors peaking at a measly 4g per liter and anything over that throws herbal/tea flavors from the same hop. Iow, hop flavor profiles do change dependent on the amount used p/l . Do check out Tom Shelhammers articles, I can't recall the details right now

Edit:
                        http://brulosophy.com/2019/02/21/the...m-shellhammer/
                        groenspookasem
                        Banned
                        Last edited by groenspookasem; 6 March 2019, 10:51. Reason: typos

Comment

• Dude so if hops break down un fermentable sugars and add bitterness when used for dry hopping why do we still boil or worry about mash temps? Have any of you tried a no boil or quick pasteurization boil brew?

Sent from my SM-A750F using Tapatalk
                          jannieverjaar
                          Last edited by jannieverjaar; 6 March 2019, 18:44.

Comment

• Hop creep, damn. Brewing has some hectic science
                            Cheers,
                            Lang
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

• Originally posted by jannieverjaar View Post
                              Dude so if hops break down un fermentable sugars and add bitterness when used for dry hopping why do we still boil or worry about mash temps? Have any of you tried a no boil or quick pasteurization boil brew?

Challenge accepted!

I have been wanting to experiment with a 'beer like' drink where I cold steep grain and separately cold steep or boil hops and see if it combines into something drinkable.
                              Cheers,
                              Lang
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

• Brewhacker indeed! Things like this could revolutionize how we brew. Can you imagine?
                                Brew day:
                                Mash at any temp between 63 and 75C
                                Bring to pasteurization temp ( 85 I believe)
                                Drain
                                Cool
                                Add hops and yeast
                                Done with like 2-3h max of effort.

Wait 20 to 40days (a bit of a draw back)
                                But can be reduced with a bit more mash control

BEER!

Comment

Working...
                                X