No announcement yet.

Kegging stuff in Gauteng

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First the good news. No leaks in the system.

And now the bad. Haven't replaced the John Guest fittings on the taps yet. Not such a big issue but I can test the taps without the nipples.

And now for the worse. There is no possible way to mount the taps neatly in the fridge without drilling holes. So I went over the measurements of the other fridge again and by building a false bottom I might be able to fit the 3 kegs in the top or bottom and then I can mount the taps on the outside and then there is space for 5/6 kegs or 3 kegs and fermenter to lager. But this is all theoretical.

Will keg the first beer over the weekend, hopefully the soda smell is gone with all the carbonated water/caustic/peresan that is now in the keg.
    Primary: APA
    Bottled: Quad, tripel, K@K red ale
    Keg 1: Weiss. 2: Weiss. Keg 3: Air. Keg 4: Air
    Next up: world domination

Comment

Originally posted by DieBaas View Post
      And now the bad. Haven't replaced the John Guest fittings on the taps yet.
      What size is your bevflex? I have an extra JG tap connector that you may use while you get your other parts.

There is no possible way to mount the taps neatly in the fridge without drilling holes.
      Yes, the beer line has to leave the fridge somehow, so you have to drill holes. It is also recommended to have the CO2 outside the fridge, so that is another hole. There are options, however. You can side or front mount the taps. This way you drill big holes. I strengthened mine by connecting the taps to a plank and the plank to the fridge. OR you can mount a post on top of the fridge. Then you have to drill one hole for the beerline.

Will keg the first beer over the weekend, hopefully the soda smell is gone with all the carbonated water/caustic/peresan that is now in the keg.
      Wouldn't caustic and perasan counteract each other, considering the one is a base and the other an acid?

Comment

Originally posted by AtronSeige View Post
        What size is your bevflex? I have an extra JG tap connector that you may use while you get your other parts.
        My bevflex is 3/16ID not sure about the outer diameter. I have 3 JG tap connectors that is just to small for the bevflex

Yes, the beer line has to leave the fridge somehow, so you have to drill holes. It is also recommended to have the CO2 outside the fridge, so that is another hole. There are options, however. You can side or front mount the taps. This way you drill big holes. I strengthened mine by connecting the taps to a plank and the plank to the fridge. OR you can mount a post on top of the fridge. Then you have to drill one hole for the beerline.
        Original idea was to mount the taps inside the fridge so I don't need to drill a relatively new fridge. I ran the CO2 tube through the drain plug so if I could mount the taps on the inside there was no need to drill. With the older fridge I'm going to drill, I like the idea of the plank. I might use that.

Wouldn't caustic and perasan counteract each other, considering the one is a base and the other an acid?
        Not at the same time. Water flush ==> Hot water flush ==> Peresan (still smelled like soda) ==> Caustic ==> Water (now it smells like caustic soda-soda)

Comment

My bevflex is 3/16ID not sure about the outer diameter. I have 3 JG tap connectors that is just to small for the bevflex
          I am going to BrewMart tomorrow morning, do you want to meet up then I can show you my connector?

Original idea was to mount the taps inside the fridge so I don't need to drill a relatively new fridge. I ran the CO2 tube through the drain plug so if I could mount the taps on the inside there was no need to drill. With the older fridge I'm going to drill, I like the idea of the plank. I might use that.
          Ahhh... good idea about doing it inside!

Here is my plank:
          CameraZOOM-20150521183932965.jpg
          I will find the "assembly" pics

Not at the same time. Water flush ==> Hot water flush ==> Peresan (still smelled like soda) ==> Caustic ==> Water (now it smells like caustic soda-soda)
          Ahh.. makes more sense! Now: Cycle, Rinse, Repeat!

Comment

I am going to BrewMart tomorrow morning, do you want to meet up then I can show you my connector?
            What time? I need to go there tomorrow to pickup something (won't mention cause it might or might not be a present). Then I'll bring a few of my own stock for an "expert" to sample

Comment

What time?
              I plan to be there around 9. I will then ask Johan a 1000 questions about existing & new products. I have to leave by 10 to get to Midrand.

I'll bring a few of my own stock for an "expert" to sample
              I will see if I can get it to the experts.

Comment

I like the idea of the plank. I might use that.
                The PC that has the pics of the assembly is currently "sleeping" ... It should be online tomorrow if all goes to plan.

But the basic concept is:
                Take 2 planks of super/compressed wood. Drill the one to the size of the nipple, the second to slightly bigger than the size of the nut. There are "smarter" ways of doing this, but this is what I could achieve with the tools I had.
                Drill four holes in the planks to keep them together.
                Drill the 4 holes in the fridge.
                Using a long bolt, bolt the two planks together, then attach your taps and, using a few nuts, place the plank & taps at the required distance.

Comment

I plan to be there around 9. I will then ask Johan a 1000 questions about existing & new products.
                  Get some info about the new shop....

Comment

Kegged my first beer. Finally got rid of the smell, asked my wife to smell and the only thing that had a rubber smell was the o ring. Mixed 5L peresan in the keg, hooked up the CO2 and ran it through the tubes. Sanitized the siphon and poured out the rest of the peresan from the keg. Now with lid open turned on the CO2 to purge for a few seconds. Started the siphon, when it was done closed the lid and gave it a burst of 25PSI to seal. Now it is set to 12 PSI in the fridge. Took me about 20min. Is it really this easy or did I screw up?

Comment

Keg is holding pressure at 20+ PSI but when I dial it down to 12PSI there are small bubbles coming out of the lid. Googled and it might be because the legs that keep the lid closed is a little bent. Went and check and it is. The source on google said to put a coin under each leg and then close it, and it looks like that did the trick.

Comment

Took me about 20min. Is it really this easy or did I screw up?
                        Nope. That is the process.

Comment

Success, Tasted the beer last night and the carbonation is getting there. Cranked the PSI up because I'm getting impatient. What is the general feeling of the fast keg method? Watched some how to's on youtube and it looks like a very simple procedure.

I've got a 3m tube on a picnic tap currently but I think it might be too long as the flow speed is very slow.

Also received the nipples from Rooster. Got some extra goodies as well. Shut off valve for the regulator, and tap plugs for the taps and an extra liquid out connector. Now I'm all set just need the fridge...

Comment

Success
                            Great!

What is the general feeling of the fast keg method?
                            Is fast kegging when you have your beer carbonated a few minutes after kegging? If so, I do not like it. The carbonation seems harsh. I like to have the carbonation take at least one day, but usually I leave it for a week. If pushed I will shake the keg vigorously, put it in a fridge at 0C and return every hour to shake it again. Then leave it for 8 hours (while I sleep) to "settle". It should be cold and carbonated and ready for mass consumption!

Comment

Cool, I'm not pressed to carbonate within minutes but waiting a week to test out my new toys is glacial slow

Comment

I set my regulator @ 30PSI with keg temp at 4șC and let it sit for ±24Hrs. Turn gas off and let off excess pressure. Set regulator to ±8PSI ... pour & enjoy
                                The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Working...
                                X