This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beers with viable dregs for yeast harvesting

While doing some research for yeast culturing, I came across the Mad Fermentationist page where they list commercial beers which contain viable populations of yeast in their bottles.

So I thought I'd have the same here for SA breweries (or any beer commonly available in SA)

So, if you are aware of beers available in SA with yeast which can be cultured, please list them here. If you are fully aware of which yeast is being used in the beer, list the strain as well. I will keep the thread updated.

• CBC Amber Weiss (based on Fermentis WB-06)
    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

You sure the amber weiss is WB-06? Would have thought WolfGang would have his own yeast (maybe from Paulaner).

I know that all of VonB's beers are bottle conditioned. Not sure of what strain he uses for each though.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonB View Post
      if you are aware of beers available in SA with yeast which can be cultured
      I know of a few that can be cultured, but I doubt that you would want to!

Comment

Originally posted by Stefan View Post
        You sure the amber weiss is WB-06? Would have thought WolfGang would have his own yeast (maybe from Paulaner).
        I asked him for a sample of the yeast he uses - he told me that he gave some to SouthYeasters for one of their brewdays. When I went to collect it it was a box of WB-06. So he's spinning us a yarn either way...
        Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Comment

I use this thread: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=262713 and this list: http://www.nada.kth.se/~alun/Beer/Bottle-Yeasts/ for international beers.

I've done westmalle tripple successfully, and hoegaarden (although I still need to test the hoegaarden it smells good). Lucifer I got a really bad bread yeast smell and dumped it
          Primary: APA
          Bottled: Quad, tripel, K@K red ale
          Keg 1: Weiss. 2: Weiss. Keg 3: Air. Keg 4: Air
          Next up: world domination

Comment

Working...
          X