Making Bread with Beer Ingredients

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making Bread with Beer Ingredients

My plan: Make a few loafs of bread for a club meeting.
    The Idea: I would like to see what different malts do to bread. This is NOT a yeast/hops/water experiment, just malt.

Problem: I have no idea how to make bread! Yes, I can google, but I thought I would start by asking here.

Recipes and tips will be greatly appreciated. Results will be discussed here.

Try this http://www.homebrewersassociation.or...m-beer-grains/
    I've made some and it is awesome. Now I always keep spent gains in the fridge
    Primary: APA
    Bottled: Quad, tripel, K@K red ale
    Keg 1: Weiss. 2: Weiss. Keg 3: Air. Keg 4: Air
    Next up: world domination

Comment

Thanks, I'm going to try this out. I've made many a loaf of bread, but never given this much thought.

I'm interested to see how the husks turn out in the bread.

Comment

It is pretty delicious. Just remember if you do a normal grain crush do not exceed the grain to flour ratio otherwise you'll end up with crumbs. But if you do BIAB and based on yesterday's brulosophy exbeeriment (http://brulosophy.com/2015/11/23/min...lts/#more-5962) you can probably exceed the ratio in the above link. And don't forget to "pair" the bread with beer. None of that fermented grape juice nonsense!

Happy brewing/baking
        Primary: APA
        Bottled: Quad, tripel, K@K red ale
        Keg 1: Weiss. 2: Weiss. Keg 3: Air. Keg 4: Air
        Next up: world domination

Comment

I Haven't used spent grains as i am still in infant shoes making Extract beer, but that is about to change!

I have however used the yeast to make sour dough and use that to make a bread. That was before I learnt that you can wash yeast.

What I would do after bottleing I pour the yeastcake and last bit of beer in the bottom of the fermenter in a big glass jar.
          Let it settle out.
          Pour off the Beer component (keep to use as liquid for making the bread)
          Add 1/2 cup plain flour and 2 table spoons of Sugar to Yeast
          Mix it up (it mus notbe more than 1/3 in your container and should be a snotty Paste) and cover with cling film
          Let it stand in warm place to start working.
          Mix 3-4 times per day.

After 2 days use this and some of that beer to make a bread.

I usually make a very wet dough (like for ciabata dough) and bake on flat baking tray.

Comment

Working...
          X