Carling Blue Label

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carling Blue Label

Saw a promo box at the Gautrain station this morning of Carling Blue Label SAB's first Single Malt beer and I'm thinking you lazy bastards, this ain't whiskey this is a SMaSH beer!

As a black label drinker (don't judge!), I'll give it a shot. Has anybody tried it?
    Primary: APA
    Bottled: Quad, tripel, K@K red ale
    Keg 1: Weiss. 2: Weiss. Keg 3: Air. Keg 4: Air
    Next up: world domination

No judgement from my side. I'm also a Black label fan but I was totally underwhelmed with the Blue label. But grab a 6 pack I decide for yourself.
    Myself, sticking to Black label.

Comment

Originally posted by DieBaas View Post
      Saw a promo box at the Gautrain station this morning of Carling Blue Label SAB's first Single Malt beer and I'm thinking you lazy bastards, this ain't whiskey this is a SMaSH beer!

As a black label drinker (don't judge!), I'll give it a shot. Has anybody tried it?
      I liked it, but it had a lot of diacetyl.

It does not have the strong banana esters of Black Label, so the two should not really be compared.

VERY IMPORTANT: Only buy the cans. Every bottle that I have tried has been skunked! Even the ones at SAB!

It uses more than one hops, so it is not a true SMASH. Some SA hops and Perle.

8 of them will get you tipsy.

Comment

Tried it this evening.... not bad. Little hoppier and lighter than black label, but what a marketing ploy..

All this "Blue label" and "single malt" business smacks of an attemp to piggy back on the brand association and "status" of whiskeys if you ask me...

But in any event.......entirely quaffable

Comment

Originally posted by ljm109 View Post
          Tried it this evening.... not bad. Little hoppier and lighter than black label, but what a marketing ploy..

All this "Blue label" and "single malt" business smacks of an attemp to piggy back on the brand association and "status" of whiskeys if you ask me...

But in any event.......entirely quaffable
          I agree. I'll get some for this weekend. In my experience single malt whiskeys are also just a status thing. There is no holy grail grain, and that counts for beer and whiskey. Even fermented grape juice you can add around 20% of other grapes to the mix and still be able to call it a i.e Cabernet Sauvignon.
          Primary: APA
          Bottled: Quad, tripel, K@K red ale
          Keg 1: Weiss. 2: Weiss. Keg 3: Air. Keg 4: Air
          Next up: world domination

Comment

The beer is brewed and marketed for a very specific audience: People who used to drink Black Label because that is what they could afford, now, they have more money and status, so they move away from Black Label.

SAB thus produced a beer (and is aggressively marketing it) to be "like" Black label, but better. There are a few things on the label that indicates it's "superiority"; the name, the "single malt", the fact that it does not mention yeast as an ingredient, branded bottle, gold lines. There are a few other things, but I do not have the bottle in front of me, so I can't check.

Comment

They got me to buy 1 bottle to try .... Lets just say that's the only money they'll make off me with this one
              The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Working...
              X