No announcement yet.

Newbie - kit beer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haha. Read up on lag time. Yeast needs to wine, dine and multiply first before they start doing what they do best.

Sent from my SM-N910H using Tapatalk
    Primary: APA
    Bottled: Quad, tripel, K@K red ale
    Keg 1: Weiss. 2: Weiss. Keg 3: Air. Keg 4: Air
    Next up: world domination

Comment

Check for a good seal by pressing against the fermenter, if the level in bubbler moves you are golden. Relax, have a beer ;-)

Sent from my SM-T561 using Tapatalk
      2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

It seems that Mangrove Jack yeast, test brewers patience even more than brewing does, it starts slow and not a violent yeast. But they always do their job, I once added some nutrient to help them along, they went berserk, even after dropping temp to 15degrees for a week, they were still working at that low temperature.

Even if you see no action test after 4 or 5days with your hydrometer and you'll see the yeast did some work.
        All for Brew AND brew for all

Comment

For what it's worth you won't always get much bubbling if you have lots of headspace in fermentor. Brewing is largely waiting, cleaning with lots of tasting and drinking in between to pass the time...
          Do you want to be good or be praised - Epicurus
          Do what you do to the best of your ability, and blessings will follow you

Comment

Newbie - kit beer

Originally posted by JBartleman View Post
            1st brew done. Mangrove Jack Pale ale. OG 1.04 and sitting in pantry at 20°C for 24hrs already. No bubbling at all, water level has hardly moved. I have a spare packet of yeast should I pitch again or am I just being impatient?
            What is the temp in pantry 4 am in the morning?

Ps, if you want lag time, try m44

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            CraftyZA
            Last edited by CraftyZA; 26 June 2016, 19:35.

Comment

For what its worth, so far in my first 2 batches had no bubbles through the air lock, (see another thread in this topic). However fermentation was and is taking place. First batch OG around the 1.045 mark and FG settled in at 1.014 odd. Current batch started at 1.040 and checked it last night after 7 days its down to 1.014. In both cases there was no bubbling coming through the airlock, only for a few hours after opening the vessel to check the gravity.

The general consensus on my thread is that my vessel in not 100% air tight, something I am going to correct before the next brew.

Cheers,
              Phil

Comment

was worried that somethings wrong and 1st attempt would have been a terrible flop.
                as long as you've kept everything clean, it's actually quite difficult to screw things up. i can almost guarantee that you'll end up with beer, one way or another. as hard as it might seem the best thing for the beer is just to let it be so it can do its thing. one of the greatest skills every homebrewer needs to master, is patience.

Comment

Originally posted by CraftyZA View Post
                  What is the temp in pantry 4 am in the morning?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Checked brew at 5am this morning 18°C, seemed to settle out there still at 18 at 6pm. Alas still no bubbling. If I press on the FM water level in airlock moves, so Im sure there's no leak. Thanks for the input., wouldn't mind if all solutions in life are fixed by just waiting and having another beer.

Comment

Checked brew at 5am this morning 18°C, seemed to settle out there still at 18 at 6pm. Alas still no bubbling. If I press on the FM water level in airlock moves, so Im sure there's no leak. Thanks for the input., wouldn't mind if all solutions in life are fixed by just waiting and having another beer.
                    You have to keep that pressure for a good couple of seconds to make 100% sure the pressure doesn't escape & that the level in the airlock doesn't settle out again.

The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

This just means there is not helluva leak. It does not guarantee there is no small air leaks
                      Cheers

Jacques

Comment

Ok, checked SG last night, sitting at 1.016 - so yeast has done it's thing and I'll check it again over the next few days to see if this has stabilized, as I plan to bottle this weekend. Just another "newbie" question. When I poured some beer into the test tube this foamed a bit and looked quiet 'fizzy' - is this normal? I would have thought that any carbonation would only happen in the bottle?

Comment

Ok, checked SG last night, sitting at 1.016 - so yeast has done it's thing and I'll check it again over the next few days to see if this has stabilized, as I plan to bottle this weekend. Just another "newbie" question. When I poured some beer into the test tube this foamed a bit and looked quiet 'fizzy' - is this normal? I would have thought that any carbonation would only happen in the bottle?

Fermentation and carbonation go hand in hand. CO2 goes out of the airlock, but a bit of the CO2 remains in the beer. Pretty normal for it to be fizzy. Just keep in mind the FG might get a bit lower, around 1,01

Comment

When I poured some beer into the test tube this foamed a bit and looked quiet 'fizzy' - is this normal? I would have thought that any carbonation would only happen in the bottle?
                            To add to Andreas' answer, when taking a hydrometer reading, remember to spin the hydrometer so that the bubbles are flung off, otherwise you will get a higher reading.

Comment

Originally posted by AtronSeige View Post
                              To add to Andreas' answer, when taking a hydrometer reading, remember to spin the hydrometer so that the bubbles are flung off, otherwise you will get a higher reading.

Thanks. Totally forgot about that, it gets to be an automatic action..

Comment

1st beer ever (an American Ale )...great feeling must say. Bottled about 2 weeks ago and I couldn't wait anymore. Waiting for the fermentation to finish was difficult enough but it's even harder looking at the beers waiting to mature. A bit bitter now but hoping that it will mellow out with time

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X