Random small questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is what I have on profile >South African Hops.bsmx
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Keep in mind with SA hops, some names have changed. That list Jigsaw has is awesome, going to save that one (thanks man). Their experimental hops change name. U1/108 for example has been changed to Southern Tropic or something like that, due to the tropical fruit profile. It's a GREAT hop, if you ask me. I still have plans of a very tropical ale or a tropical fruit beer using that. Was thinking 50/50 Pilsner/Vienna malt with S.Tropic in the boil, tropical fruit punch to back up the wort in the fermenter and then a dry hopping with S.Tropic as well. I've dry hopped with it before, it's pretty nice.

Comment

• Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
        at some point i'll try sab hops.
        Never thought I would hear those words from your mouth!
        Cheers,
        Lang
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

• Cheers all, I'll have a look at these, fairly high AAs allround, some wild substitution recommendations. What style would you recommend? I'm heavily into german/nz pilsners and english anything right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Langchop View Post
            Never thought I would hear those words from your mouth!
            me neither, bu I have this sinking feeling that imported hops/malts will either become unobtainable or excessively expensive. I tend use my hops fairly quickly too.

Comment

• Well, If people from other countries are happy with our hops, why must we stand back

I like to keep some Southern Star around just to up the bitterness in my 30min boils in order to not use to much of any other hop to get to the same IBU i would have in a 60min boil ... if that makes sense
              The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                Well, If people from other countries are happy with our hops, why must we stand back

I like to keep some Southern Star around just to up the bitterness in my 30min boils in order to not use to much of any other hop to get to the same IBU i would have in a 60min boil ... if that makes sense
                I haven't gone out of my way to try them, but perhaps that'll change. I've only tasted them in commercial SAB "beer" and that was disappointing to say the least. My last apa was 100g Cascade and 50g Chinook on 5 min, nothing at the start of the boil. Was delicious, I'd guess I'd burn slower through hops with those AAs. I also only boil for 35min and usually just up the bittering addition to make up for the short boil.

Do they throw a clean bittering? Anything to avoid, that p24?? seems like something to steer clear of

Comment

• I've been using either Admiral or Southern Star for purely bittering purposes in my beers, and I honestly don't think I brew well enough so people can taste the difference yet. U1/108 I've used for all kinds before, and the flavour was really smooth. I was very surprised with the effect the tiny amount of dry hopping made in that light lager of mine. I can't remember the exact numbers, but it was a small amount, like 18g or something dry hopped for 5 days in the light lager, and I dry hopped at 2°C. The tropical flavour was on the money, and I actually can't even imagine anyone putting in 100g or more like in some IPAs. It'll just be unpalatable if you ask me.

Comment

• I have been using SAB hops for more than 2 years and think they are great.
                    Plus cost is very low. I never order less than 1kg of a specific hop.
                    Last order including delivery was an average of R270 per kg.
                    Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

• Righto, so which SAB hop/s would be the best to use? Let say for two styles; Pilsner and Pale ale?

Comment

• Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
                        Righto, so which SAB hop/s would be the best to use? Let say for two styles; Pilsner and Pale ale?

For Pilsner use Southern Aroma. It works well, but I do consent that in my opinion Saaz works better in a Pilsner.
                        For Pale ale use Southern Passion or African Queen. I prefer Southern Passion, but that's just my taste.
                        I have used Southern Passion and African Queen in APA, IPA, Amber and Blonde Ale.

Comment

• Saaz is okay, it's a bit boring. Motueka is better in my opinion, a Kiwi bastard child of Saaz. Not even mentioning the Germans, makes for great Pilsner. I digress.
                          How't this for a little pale ale ?
                          Maris (82%)
                          Munich 1 (4%)
                          Cara Gold (7%)
                          Melano (7%)
                          Southern Passion 100.00 g 5 min
                          BU:GU 0.5
                          IBU 22
                          ABV 4.4%
                          groenspookasem
                          Banned
                          Last edited by groenspookasem; 19 May 2020, 16:11. Reason: tuned recipe

Comment

• Never used Motueka, will give it a go when I get the chance.

Recipe looks good to me.
                            Never done a hop schedule like yours.
                            Usually use a high AA to get 40-50% bittering at start of boil and plenty towards end of boil for the rest, but nothing wrong with all toward end.

Comment

• I was pondering using 200g instead of anything in the boil to "hop stand" to my desired IBU. Then dry hop with another 100g, but I'll play it simple for now. I want to get all of the flavor out to showcase the hop and not be stuck with open packets of hops. I might even change the melano and munich light for a "lighter" vienna

Comment

• Beerholic is spot on on the recommendation. For your recipe I'd do 100g at 5 min and 100g for a 4 day dry hop. It's not a pale ale if you dont try hop. And passion really shines in the dry hop

Sent from my SM-A750F using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X