No announcement yet.

Random small questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Celiac, no, the wife is a bit sensitive. The reason I bought it was that it was the only kit available with the micro brewery kit I bought. Wasn't going to let that minor detail stop me from brewing

Learning to get myself intoxicated on some nice home brewed beer. Constructive criticism is always welcome.

Comment

• Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
      I might have posted this before, but here is a 3part series on a parallel CFC ....
      Thanks. Does look familiar. I think you did show me that those years back when I was looking at options

I do though like the idea of less joints and I could store a long straight one on the ladder rack.
      Cheers,
      Lang
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

• Originally posted by BushWanderer View Post
        I've just gotten back from builders, saw your post just before leaving and thought I would check out the product in your link. I don't think it will work, firstly its far to small, and secondly I'm not sure how easy it would be to adapt it to be used as a chiller.

Here's a picture of it (my hand for scale).[ATTACH=CONFIG]2401[/ATTACH]

Ditto what everyone says. Tiny and I doubt you would practically get a core out of it. Would work great for boiling though!
        Cheers,
        Lang
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

• Originally posted by RudiC View Post
          If it will increase the abv slightly, then I might not try it. With all my reading and tests I've done, I came to the conclusion that higher abv isn't necessarily a good thing. I want to have a few beers, too high abv then I can't have as many. Feels like I'm getting old saying stuff like that. Would never have thought those words would come from me
          Those are the words of a proper hobbyist homebrewer, rather than the new many trying to make what gives them the biggest "kick"
          Cheers,
          Lang
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

• Originally posted by Langchop View Post
            Those are the words of a proper hobbyist homebrewer, rather than the new many trying to make what gives them the biggest "kick"
            Thanks Langchop. This is a hobby I could easily love. Just hope I get to making good beer soon. But I'm sure the extract brewing is an easy enough way to get decent beer.

Learning to get myself intoxicated on some nice home brewed beer. Constructive criticism is always welcome.

Comment

• I just checked on my hard lemon and the airlock didn't move. So I took a small sample to taste if there's any sugar left and it was very dry. I used about 2.5L lemon juice and 3.5kg sugar in about 18.5L water. Added Mead yeast, then had minimal activity. A few days later I put 2g EC1118 and 2g yeast nutrients and it got going for the past two days. Now I take my hydrometer that I get with my beer kit to check to find 0% abv.

What am I missing here? Did I just go through all that for a nice regular dry lemonade?

Comment

• what's the reading? if it's 1.000 then its done. did you take a reading before adding yeast? hard and fast calcs says the sugars alone should have been 1.066 and if you dropped to 1.000 that's 7.5%ABV. i could be wrong, not sure if your lemon juice contained fermentable sugars
                groenspookasem
                Banned
                Last edited by groenspookasem; 5 June 2020, 12:38.

Comment

• The sugar used was a combination of white and brown sugar. I didn't take any readings sadly, something I learned is important after this batch I think.

So much to learn hehehe, but I'll get there, eventually.

So, am I right in thinking there has to be alcohol in there? How could you have all that sugar, no sweet taste and all the activity in the airlock, but no alcohol. I know I'm very new to all this, but don't know how the meter can show 0%

Comment

• I made three brews, one that the jar broke was 1.090 iirc, then the other was in the 1.060 to 1.070 range iirc.

I will get a book for this, cause I forget too easily

Comment

• What meter is showing you 0% ??

Can you take and post a photo ?
                      The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Originally posted by RudiC View Post
                        The sugar used was a combination of white and brown sugar. I didn't take any readings sadly, something I learned is important after this batch I think.

So much to learn hehehe, but I'll get there, eventually.

So, am I right in thinking there has to be alcohol in there? How could you have all that sugar, no sweet taste and all the activity in the airlock, but no alcohol. I know I'm very new to all this, but don't know how the meter can show 0%

yep, take a pic and upload it here, but if my calculations are correct and it's kinda in range with what you're saying - then you're sitting on a 7.5% abv cider

Comment

• I suspect your hydrometer is telling you 'potential ABV'.... if you started with something sugary and its now dry and says 0% your done and on the money. If you didnt take a gravity reading or potential ABV before fermentation, you will just have to drink and guess.... tough job but someones gotta do it
                          Cheers,
                          Lang
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

• EC1118 is a pretty dry yeast. It's not uncommon at all for it to ferment to below 1.000.

Comment

• Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
                              EC1118 is a pretty dry yeast. It's not uncommon at all for it to ferment to below 1.000.
                              Dry yeast | Liquid yeast

The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                                Dry yeast | Liquid yeast

"attenuous'?
                                Langchop
                                Last edited by Langchop; 5 June 2020, 16:56. Reason: Man its nice to spend a bit of time on the forum again!
                                Cheers,
                                Lang
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                                X