Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 LastLast

I hope so.

I do know though that that big headspace packs a whole lot of compressive energy. I once opened a half filled and primed bottle (cant remember how much sugar), and the cap blasted off and gave me a neat little 'staggered circle' red tattoo on my forehead.
    Cheers,
    Lang
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."
    www.ginormity.com

I'm guessing you have a bottle bomb........

If you bottled & storing at room temp, I would pop the cap after ±24hrs to let off some gas and just reseal

The chances of a 'bottle bomb' should be down by roughly 30%
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Now I am torn as to whether I want to see a big pop or have an enjoyable half bottle of beer!
    Cheers,
    Lang
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    www.ginormity.com

So there I was merrily adding my sugar to my bottles for priming and I thought. I just fermented under exact temp control and now I'm priming and then just setting them aside for 2 weeks in the 30+ heat to ferment.... this doesn't make sense. Won't the yeast produce off flavors from the sugar? Do you bottle condition at controlled temps?

Sent from my SM-A750F using Tapatalk

^ I was always under the impression that one should bottle condition at a constant 18șC .... Im sure I've read this somewhere
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

I wouldn't bottle condition at 30+ (I wouldn't store any beer at the temp - but hey Kveik likes it!). At the same time I wouldn't bother with specific temp control, as long as it's in the low 20's or something. The volume of sugar being converted is also quite small so the off flavours will be proportionally small too.

Quote Originally Posted by jannieverjaar View Post
    So there I was merrily adding my sugar to my bottles for priming and I thought. I just fermented under exact temp control and now I'm priming and then just setting them aside for 2 weeks in the 30+ heat to ferment.... this doesn't make sense. Won't the yeast produce off flavors from the sugar? Do you bottle condition at controlled temps?

Probably small enough of a factor to not be that significant. But like you say, seems counterintuitive. I used to always just put bottles in a box in the cupboard. Now if the chamber is available I will keep it at ferment temps for at least one week
    Cheers,
    Lang
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    www.ginormity.com

Yea that's what I ended up doing. But it opens up another question. During fermentation a temp change of 0.5 to 1c a day is recommended. But here I take it from cold crush at 0.5 to 20c in a day. Not good for the yeasties at all, so more issues then answers. But I didn't do a slow change in this case

Am I understanding correctly? Do you cold crash in your fermenter (primary?) before you do the bottling?
    Cheers,
    Lang
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    www.ginormity.com