Page 31 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2129303132 LastLast
Results 301 to 310 of 315
  1. #301

    Jip I did. I dont want to transfer and risk contamination

    Sent from my SM-A750F using Tapatalk

  2. #302
    Quote Originally Posted by jannieverjaar View Post
    So there I was merrily adding my sugar to my bottles for priming and I thought. I just fermented under exact temp control and now I'm priming and then just setting them aside for 2 weeks in the 30+ heat to ferment.... this doesn't make sense. Won't the yeast produce off flavors from the sugar? Do you bottle condition at controlled temps?

    Sent from my SM-A750F using Tapatalk
    I just did this exact test. Bottled a batch, left for 2 weeks at just above fermentation temp (fermented at 14C, carbonated at 18C) and then conditioned the two bottles differently. One was conditioned cold, in the fridge, at 2C, and the other on top of the fridge, at around 24C, for 10 weeks. I'm making a video of the results. Much bigger difference than I expected, to be honest.

  3. #303
    Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    I just did this exact test. Bottled a batch, left for 2 weeks at just above fermentation temp (fermented at 14C, carbonated at 18C) and then conditioned the two bottles differently. One was conditioned cold, in the fridge, at 2C, and the other on top of the fridge, at around 24C, for 10 weeks. I'm making a video of the results. Much bigger difference than I expected, to be honest.
    I think Jannie's concern is more 'bottle conditioning/ refermenting' immediately after priming and bottling rather than the 'maturing/ lagering/ aging' after that. (The stage where you had them at 18 deg]. I imagine it would be pretty similar though. I see another experiment coming....
    Cheers,
    Lang
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."
    www.ginormity.com

  4. #304
    Quote Originally Posted by Langchop View Post
    I think Jannie's concern is more 'bottle conditioning/ refermenting' immediately after priming and bottling rather than the 'maturing/ lagering/ aging' after that. (The stage where you had them at 18 deg]. I imagine it would be pretty similar though. I see another experiment coming....
    Yep, I have a few plans in my next batch. Want to cold lager vs warm lager and also cold carb vs warm carb. Would love to see the differences!

  5. #305
    Quote Originally Posted by jannieverjaar View Post
    Yea that's what I ended up doing. But it opens up another question. During fermentation a temp change of 0.5 to 1c a day is recommended. But here I take it from cold crush at 0.5 to 20c in a day. Not good for the yeasties at all, so more issues then answers. But I didn't do a slow change in this case

    Sent from my SM-A750F using Tapatalk
    Why is going from 0.5 to 20 C in 24hr to start carbonating your beer bad for the yeast? At this stage they need all the help (temp and food) that they can get in a low O2, high alc enviroment.

    The minimal amount of yeast in suspension and small amount of sugar will have a very small influence if any on the taste and quality of the beer.

    I bet its so small a influence that you would not be able to taste the difference in a blind triangle taste test.

    To put it into perspective in my batch size for a 1.048 beer there need to be about 132g sugar/litre to reach 1.048 , I carbonate with 7 g sugar/litre. Thats only a fraction op fermentables that you add to carbonate your beer.

    I would imagine that fluctuating temperatures during carbonating, conditioning and lagering will have a greater affect on the beer than raising the temp from cold crash to carbonating temp.

    ps. Lets not get confused carbonating and conditioning beer is done at room temp mostly and Lagering (also a form of conditioning) at low temp

    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Harhm; 14th October 2019 at 09:37.
    I value your experience more than your opinion Time is on your side, never rush a beer Have fun, its only beer

  6. #306
    Senior Member JIGSAW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    1,513
    Well, since I do "beer-on-beer" my yeast goes from cold to warm regularly (and instantly) ...

    As the one beer gets kegged from a cold crush, the new warmer (room temp) wort is pitch right on-top of the cold trub/yeast in the fermenter and within 4hrs sometimes the airlock starts to bubble ... so in my eyes (or is that ears) that doesn't sound like 'stressed' yeast.
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!


  7. #307
    Quote Originally Posted by Harhm View Post
    Why is going from 0.5 to 20 C in 24hr to start carbonating your beer bad for the yeast? At this stage they need all the help (temp and food) that they can get in a low O2, high alc enviroment.

    The minimal amount of yeast in suspension and small amount of sugar will have a very small influence if any on the taste and quality of the beer.

    I bet its so small a influence that you would not be able to taste the difference in a blind triangle taste test.

    To put it into perspective in my batch size for a 1.048 beer there need to be about 132g sugar/litre to reach 1.048 , I carbonate with 7 g sugar/litre. Thats only a fraction op fermentables that you add to carbonate your beer.

    I would imagine that fluctuating temperatures during carbonating, conditioning and lagering will have a greater affect on the beer than raising the temp from cold crash to carbonating temp.

    ps. Lets not get confused carbonating and conditioning beer is done at room temp mostly and Lagering (also a form of conditioning) at low temp

    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    This!

    But my Assumption was that I'm adding enough sugar to go from 3.8 to 4.1 that's almost a 10% increase so might be enough to perceive. But tbh. I could barely taste the hot vs. Cold lagering that toxyc found something more. We'll have to wait and see there.
    I probably wouldn't be able to taste a thing but my working theory is that 10 of these almost imperceptible flaws will turn a good beer into something you want to dump. And that's what I decided to test.
    I left 2 on top of the fridge. So we will see.
    Maybe I should call toxyc up in 2 weeks to get a better idea of the difference.

    Sent from my SM-A750F using Tapatalk

  8. #308
    LOL I'm no expert dude.

  9. #309
    I was gifted a tube of liquid yeast that I want to try out. I know it will need a yeast starter but I have zero yeast starter type equipment. Are there any acceptable methods using common kitchen equipment, to make a decent yeast starter that anyone has had success with? TIA
    Cheers,
    Lang
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."
    www.ginormity.com

  10. #310

    Disclaimer: I know nothing about this topic.

    But surely if your looking to make more yeast you give it wort. Not to high gravity no flavors if you can manage. Like using DME. And just shake it up nicely (O2) prevent other bugs from entering (sanitize and airlock). Keep it at its desired temp and there you have it.

    Try and time it to 2 to 3 days before you want to pitch it into your beer? So you can pitch while it's at max activity.

    Guaranteed this is an over simplification but I think it could work.

    Sent from my SM-A750F using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •