Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast

Random small questions

In the past i've often wanted to ask a question bit do not want to create a new thread for something trivial. Maybe this thread can help?
    If you have a simple question that does not require in depth responses or debates, post them here.

I've got one. Why should I only use vodka or sanitiser in my airlock. Whats wrong with using brandy or whiskey?
    I've been told to never use those, but not given a reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyZA View Post
    Why should I only use vodka or sanitiser in my airlock. Whats wrong with using brandy or whiskey?
    I've been told to never use those, but not given a reason.
    During the process, some of the liquid may end up in the fermenter. So, if you are brewing a light lager, then something like brandy/whiskey flavors might come through.

That being said, I doubt that a tot or two of any of those will be detectable in a 18 liter batch.

RDWHAHB.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    It's not the size of your equipment; it is what you brew with it.

Thirsty days hath September,
    April, June and November;
    All the rest are thirsty too
    Except for him who hath homebrew.

BeerSmith Recipes: http://beersmithrecipes.com/listreci...nseigeRatebeer

Profile: http://www.ratebeer.com/user/190730/

During my first 2 years of brewing i only used RUM as that's the only "hard liquor" I had on hand, and I prefered that above Iodophor in the airlock
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

I use vodka because I don't mind wasting a couple of tots of vodka......

I use sanitizer in mine and nothing ever goes wrong. I have sanitizer already made in a bucket when brewing, so I might as well use that. (I must say I always make a fresh batch of sanitizer, and have heard of people making a huge batch and just adding new sanitizer to the old batch when having to use it. I don't trust this, there must be some form of chemical buildup in there I'm sure.) I know of a LHBS that does this.

I have 20L of Starsan pre-mixed in a bucket. I soak my beer lines and couplers and taps in the bucket then rinse and flush before using.

Now that might not be perfect, but it's better than letting the beer congeal and rot between festivals like I've seen some commercial craft brewers do...........

Quote Originally Posted by jakeslouw View Post
    ... letting the beer congeal and rot between festivals like I've seen some commercial craft brewers do...
    Eish! Wish we could name and shame this. I understand that sometimes something is missed when running a major operation. But failing to clean and sanitise beer lines and faucets is unacceptable. Especially when everyone is so conscious about sanitising everything even on a Home Brew level. I find that Home Brewing is a relentless search for the next best method/recipe/etc. We continuously look to improve our product or equipment in order to produce the best beer possible given the shortcomings of brewing on our scale. Why else would we salivate over Blichmann equipment? I'm confused that an institution who knows better would allow this to happen. A beer tap is your front line of marketing. There are not excuses that could give satisfactory answer.

I've calmed down now...whoooosah!

Quote Originally Posted by 69degrees View Post
    Eish! Wish we could name and shame this. I understand that sometimes something is missed when running a major operation.
    There is nothing preventing you from raising valid complaints about suppliers on this forum, as long as it is unemotional, factual, with evidence and first attempts to address this with the supplier is fruitless.

But this is not hellopeter...
    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Kit: 46l Automated Electric BIAB & 1gallon stovetop BIAB

Primary: ESB
    Secondary: -
    Conditioning: Abbey, Rhum Infused Stout, Baltic Porter
    Bottled and Drunk: Far too many

Quote Originally Posted by 69degrees View Post
    Eish! Wish we could name and shame this. I understand that sometimes something is missed when running a major operation. But failing to clean and sanitise beer lines and faucets is unacceptable. Especially when everyone is so conscious about sanitising everything even on a Home Brew level. I find that Home Brewing is a relentless search for the next best method/recipe/etc. We continuously look to improve our product or equipment in order to produce the best beer possible given the shortcomings of brewing on our scale. Why else would we salivate over Blichmann equipment? I'm confused that an institution who knows better would allow this to happen. A beer tap is your front line of marketing. There are not excuses that could give satisfactory answer.

I've calmed down now...whoooosah!
    more than one and I'm not saying squat further

What do you do with all the different sizes and shapes of bottles, I currently have 15 different beer bottles, some empty and some with home brew in it.