Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michelle View Post
    So my random question.
    I have a stainless fermenter that I've cleaned after my last brew day. My problem is that it still has a light fruity odour. Have you guys experienced the same?Planning to do a caustic wash over the weekend to see if I can get it odourless.
    I caustic then acid wash always.

Odour implies residual organic matter.

Comment

Originally posted by jakeslouw View Post
      I caustic then acid wash always.

Odour implies residual organic matter.
      That is my my thinking and fear. Will give a odour report over the weekend post caustic wash.

Comment

I saw an alternative CIP protocol somewhere that used acid, then caustic, then rinse.

I'll see if I can find the info for you.

Sent from my E2303 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by kingcur View Post
          I saw an alternative CIP protocol somewhere that used acid, then caustic, then rinse.

Thanks, I've got a few fermenters that I'm willing to dedicate to the cause.

Comment

Originally posted by kingcur View Post

illogical

caustic is alkaline and removes organic, acid does not

first caustic, then rinse then neutralise any caustic with acid cleaner

Comment

Logic is over rated. :-P

The CIP protocol is for preventing and removing beerstone, not something I'd worry about for plastic fermenters, but for SS would be worthwhile.

It also uses a non-caustic alkaline rinse (like PBW).

https://www.morebeer.com/articles/re...ting_beerstone

Comment

+1

Also got the newsletter on Beerstone & Caustic
                The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Ok, feedback time on fermenter odour removal.
                  I used 200g caustic (drain cleaner) in 10L hot water out of the geyser. Did a few good shakes and then washed the fermenters with a soft rag. Then I rinsed them with hot water to remove all the caustic.
                  My stainless and even plastic fermenters look brand new. Not a hint of an odour.
                  Safety recap:
                  Use full length gloves.
                  Use goggles
                  And use a soft sponge to wash if required. The rag I was using behaved like spaghetti making me run to a tap to rinse a few times.
                  Definitely a worthwhile exercise, but I'll only do it every few batches.

Comment

Random small questions

Quick question: if I siphon to my bottle bucket, there is a nice big fat amount of yeast at the bottom of the fermenter. Now lets say I have another wort ready for action. Can I drop it on that yeast in the same fermenter as the previous batch? Should be clean. Yeast is active. Billions of them ready to go. Why waste them?

My cold crash takes 2 days to go from 18 to 2, so no sudden temperature shock that could kill them. Should all have gone to a happy dormant sleep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    CraftyZA
                    Last edited by CraftyZA; 20 July 2016, 14:33.

Comment

There are people who pitch on the yeast slurry. It works, but it helps of the beer you are pitching is similar in style and colouring. Just keep in mind it risks infection and there might be an effect from using way too much yeast.
                      Do you want to be good or be praised - Epicurus
                      Do what you do to the best of your ability, and blessings will follow you

Comment

Thanks. Will try it with a saison. Then it should not matter if there is too much yeast. Will just taste more "saison-y"

Comment

Yes you can. As long as it hasn't been in secondary for too long or in the fermenter for ages.

At the Beer Boot Camp, the White Labs rep actually reckoned this is an excellent way to recycle yeast: from one ferment straight into the next.

Just be aware: maximum 3-5 times for weiss yeast and 8-10 times for ale yeast.......then you have to chuck it away.

Comment

I am also new to this, but have successfully done three batches in a row on the same slurry without any infection.

Comment

I do this all the time ..... yesterday in fact .... Beer-on-Beer as the Aussies calls it.

Tiny from Offtapbrewing comes to mind
                              The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Does bottle conditioning deal with diacityl as well or should i leave it in fermenter?

Comment

Working...
                                X