Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SA Hops

SA Hops

What's your favorite South African hops for flavour and aroma?

I'm keen to do a New England Style IPA with local hops, R400 for three packets of imported hops is a bit steep.

I did one now with African queen and U1/108 and a bit of Apollo for bittering

It is not done yet but the aromas are pretty good.

https://zahops.com/hop-varieties
    http://brewmart.co.za/datasheets/SAB%20Hops.pdf

The above links got some good info
    Primary: APA
    Bottled: Quad, tripel, K@K red ale
    Keg 1: Weiss. 2: Weiss. Keg 3: Air. Keg 4: Air
    Next up: world domination

Quote Originally Posted by jay95 View Post
    What's your favorite South African hops for flavour and aroma?
    I did one with Southern Promise, Southern Passion and J17/African Queen. Turned out really well.
    I think the SA hops are really good for the style.

definitely southern passion. very nice hop.

I love African Queen and used it in Cream ales, Blonds and APA's, I sub it for Cascade, I even used it in some Lagers for bittering.

Southern Star and Southern Promise I have only used for bittering

I have used Southern Aroma as a noble hop in recent Pilsners, Its a realy good sub imho will be doing a side by side with Saaz soon.

Im hoping to get my hands on some Southern Passion to use as a single hop in my House Blond that I normaly brew with African Queen, might do a side by side also.

I do not know how I missed this, or why I did not respond... I only use SA hops. Southern dawn for me is a very neutral bittering hop but it does flavour well, j17 or Afr Queen for bittering, flavour and aroma (when I do single hop), S Aroma for flavour and aroma. I do not like southern star or southern passion in young beer, they mellow but you need to let them rest a few weeks and there lies the problem for me... I do not use southern promise, it bitters well but southern dawn is fresher.

IonlyuseSAhops
    Last edited by Setsumi; 29th July 2017 at 23:03. Reason: Promise

Quote Originally Posted by Setsumi View Post
    IonlyuseSAhops
    I like the way you think

What in particular dont you like about the S.Passion in the young beer?

I did get some mint from S.Aroma (week 1&2 in the bottle) that I thought was very odd, it disapeared completely by week 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Setsumi View Post
    I do not know how I missed this, or why I did not respond... I only use SA hops. Southern dawn for me is a very neutral bittering hop but it does flavour well, j17 or Afr Queen for bittering, flavour and aroma (when I do single hop), S Aroma for flavour and aroma. I do not like southern star or southern passion in young beer, they mellow but you need to let them rest a few weeks and there lies the problem for me... I do not use southern promise, it bitters well but southern dawn is fresher.

IonlyuseSAhops
    Cool, which SA hop would you recommend for darker beers like stout ?
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

I'm glad this thread has been revived.

What is the consensus on Southern Promise from each brewers experience?

I used to use it a lot as a bittering hop, but recently I have found that it contributes a strange phenolic flavour that only seems to be present in beers I brew with that hop. Kingcur has had the same experience recently.

Anyone else getting this?

Quote Originally Posted by Harhm View Post
    I like the way you think

What in particular dont you like about the S.Passion in the young beer?

I did get some mint from S.Aroma (week 1&2 in the bottle) that I thought was very odd, it disapeared completely by week 4.
    For me both s passion and s promise give strong grassy notes in young beer (say 3 weeks), later it mellows.