SA Hops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SA Hops

What's your favorite South African hops for flavour and aroma?

I'm keen to do a New England Style IPA with local hops, R400 for three packets of imported hops is a bit steep.

I did one now with African queen and U1/108 and a bit of Apollo for bittering

It is not done yet but the aromas are pretty good.

https://zahops.com/hop-varieties
    http://brewmart.co.za/datasheets/SAB%20Hops.pdf

The above links got some good info
    Primary: APA
    Bottled: Quad, tripel, K@K red ale
    Keg 1: Weiss. 2: Weiss. Keg 3: Air. Keg 4: Air
    Next up: world domination

Comment

Originally posted by jay95 View Post
      What's your favorite South African hops for flavour and aroma?
      I did one with Southern Promise, Southern Passion and J17/African Queen. Turned out really well.
      I think the SA hops are really good for the style.

Comment

definitely southern passion. very nice hop.

Comment

I love African Queen and used it in Cream ales, Blonds and APA's, I sub it for Cascade, I even used it in some Lagers for bittering.

Southern Star and Southern Promise I have only used for bittering

I have used Southern Aroma as a noble hop in recent Pilsners, Its a realy good sub imho will be doing a side by side with Saaz soon.

Im hoping to get my hands on some Southern Passion to use as a single hop in my House Blond that I normaly brew with African Queen, might do a side by side also.
          2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

I do not know how I missed this, or why I did not respond... I only use SA hops. Southern dawn for me is a very neutral bittering hop but it does flavour well, j17 or Afr Queen for bittering, flavour and aroma (when I do single hop), S Aroma for flavour and aroma. I do not like southern star or southern passion in young beer, they mellow but you need to let them rest a few weeks and there lies the problem for me... I do not use southern promise, it bitters well but southern dawn is fresher.

IonlyuseSAhops
            Setsumi
            Last edited by Setsumi; 29 July 2017, 23:03. Reason: Promise

Comment

Originally posted by Setsumi View Post
              IonlyuseSAhops
              I like the way you think

What in particular dont you like about the S.Passion in the young beer?

I did get some mint from S.Aroma (week 1&2 in the bottle) that I thought was very odd, it disapeared completely by week 4.
              2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

I do not know how I missed this, or why I did not respond... I only use SA hops. Southern dawn for me is a very neutral bittering hop but it does flavour well, j17 or Afr Queen for bittering, flavour and aroma (when I do single hop), S Aroma for flavour and aroma. I do not like southern star or southern passion in young beer, they mellow but you need to let them rest a few weeks and there lies the problem for me... I do not use southern promise, it bitters well but southern dawn is fresher.

IonlyuseSAhops
                Cool, which SA hop would you recommend for darker beers like stout ?
                The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

I'm glad this thread has been revived.

What is the consensus on Southern Promise from each brewers experience?

I used to use it a lot as a bittering hop, but recently I have found that it contributes a strange phenolic flavour that only seems to be present in beers I brew with that hop. Kingcur has had the same experience recently.

Anyone else getting this?

Comment

Originally posted by Harhm View Post
                    I like the way you think

What in particular dont you like about the S.Passion in the young beer?

I did get some mint from S.Aroma (week 1&2 in the bottle) that I thought was very odd, it disapeared completely by week 4.
                    For me both s passion and s promise give strong grassy notes in young beer (say 3 weeks), later it mellows.

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                      Cool, which SA hop would you recommend for darker beers like stout ?
                      Southern Dawn or African Queen. S aroma wil work as well since dark beers are usually not hop forward.

Comment

Originally posted by robcass View Post

I used to use it a lot as a bittering hop, but recently I have found that it contributes a strange phenolic flavour that only seems to be present in beers I brew with that hop. Kingcur has had the same experience recently.

When you say phenolic do you describe medicinal or herbal? I think S Dawn as bittering have a fresher profile than S Promise. J17 or African Queen bitters well also (why did they not stick to southern? Now it is far removed from the others in brew software unless you put an s in front...but it only works if you remember....).

Comment

When you say phenolic do you describe medicinal or herbal?
                          I picked it up as a chlorophenol flavour. I thought it was a problem with my water treatment process so I replaced my filter cartridge and changed the way I used potassium metabilsulphite to drive off chloramines. I still got the same flavour when using Southern Promise but not when using other hops (across a range of different styles and hop levels).

Comment

Originally posted by robcass View Post

we don't use Southern Promise in a full length boil because of this: 30 minutes maximum

Dunno if the cultivar has changed, but it's a real issue.

We also sometimes get a grassy flavour from some of the other ZA hops if used in a 60 minute boil, so now we use ZA hops only 30 minutes or less and use a neutral complimentary overseas hop for base bittering if needed.

Comment

I spoke to SAB about their hops and they said most of their hops are isomerised (the alpha acids have already been converted) which means they do not need a long boil, 20 min should be sufficient to extract the quoted bitterness. So maybe add them later in the boil to avoid the tastes you are picking up.
                              I spent 90% of my money on brewing and drinking beer and the other 10% I wasted

Comment

Working...
                              X