No announcement yet.

SA Hops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I enjoy using all the SAB hops and haven't picked up any flavour issues at all. I'm on a bit of a single hop mission at the moment and have brewed different bitters using Promise, J17 and Passion all as individual hops additions - bittering, flavouring, aroma and dry hopping But then of course I'm not much of a critic and taste will always be subjective.

On a different tangent I recently brewed one of my bitters using a technique that the yanks refer to as "hopbursting", ie: no hop addition at the start of the boil at all, all hops are added later in the boil. Using S.Promise I only started adding hops halfway through the boil, 4 hop additions, the beer tastes simply smashing.

I will post a pic of it in the beer pic thread a bit later

Comment

Originally posted by Rory. View Post
      On a different tangent I recently brewed one of my bitters using a technique that the yanks refer to as "hopbursting", ie: no hop addition at the start of the boil at all, all hops are added later in the boil. U
      I do that a lot ....especially since I "no-chill" ... I work out what the IBU will be if I add all the hop later and adjust as/if needed ... sometime I do the whole boil without hops and only add the hops to the cube while tranferring
      The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Originally posted by Rory. View Post

On a different tangent I recently brewed one of my bitters using a technique that the yanks refer to as "hopbursting", ie: no hop addition at the start of the boil at all, all hops are added later in the boil. Using S.Promise I only started adding hops halfway through the boil, 4 hop additions, the beer tastes simply smashing.
        yep. i've also tried this technique recently. looking forward to tasting the results!

Comment

Brewed my "House Blond" only using Southern Passion (20g-45min,10g-20min,10g-10min,10g-5 min and 2g/l dry hop) kegged it 3 weeks ago. I get a distinctive Granadilla flavour from the S.Passion. Will be doing a 50/50 with S.Passion and J17 (I get Litchi from J17 ) should be interesting
          Harhm
          Last edited by Harhm; 17 October 2017, 11:11.
          2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

I recently made a beer that started off as a single hop IPA made with Nelson Sauvin. I got curious though and only bottled half the batch (10l) and dry hopped the other half with J17 (10g for 7 days). Got super litchi aromas when it was carbonated. Something rather odd though is it also made the beer very bitter in comparison to the first half of the batch that wasn't dry hopped.

Comment

With the addition of hop aromas you can expect to experience a increase in bitterness perception.
              Dry hopping will also increase the pH of beer, which also increases the bitterness perception of beer.
              Taste the beers again but by pinching your nose closed while tasting the beer, you should get a different experience ito the bitterness.

Harhm
              Last edited by Harhm; 4 March 2019, 09:55.
              2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

I got a new laptop and lost all my ZA hops profiles for Beersmith. Can somebody please upload the exported profiles?

Comment

My 1st time attempting to add a BS file, hopefully you can open it,
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Harhm View Post
                    Thanks, I also grabbed it

Comment

Originally posted by Harhm View Post
                      perfect thanks

Comment

Found this while researching sa hops and thought it deserved a bump. I see Jake's recommends nothing more then 30min boil for sa hops. Is this still the case? I'm ore excited now about the southern passion in my blond but I'm considering only boiling it for 20min after reading this thread. Maybe add another 10g for a 10min boil. My process is no chill so there's that to consider as well.

Sent from my SM-A750F using Tapatalk

Comment

I spoke to a guy from SAB about their hops, he said many of their hops were ' isomerised' and therefore did not need a long boil to achieve the alpha acids bitterness, 20min would be sufficient. Check their data sheets to see if the hops you are using are isomerised. See the following link on isomerised hops for more info.https://www.johnihaas.com/wp-content...cification.pdf
                          I spent 90% of my money on brewing and drinking beer and the other 10% I wasted

Comment

AFAIK, they only do this for one blend. The have 2 blended hop mixes. One is called the PIH blend which stands for Pre-Isomerised Hop.

Comment

I just checked my bag. Didn't say anything about iso! This bag is southern passion. Its considered an aroma hop so they would probably not pre isomerize it for fear of losing flavor I assume.

Sent from my SM-A750F using Tapatalk

Comment

Some more info just in case you missed it

http://www.wortsandall.co.za/showthr...l-hop-profiles

The possibility of grassy/vegetative flavours will largely depend on the beer style, hop amounts and the timing of your hop additions. It might be evident in a IPA but not noticeable in a Blonde or a APA.

I brew my regular APA and Blond exclusively with SA hops and sometimes in combo with C hops and have not experienced any grassy or vegetative flavours.

I have however have experienced a astringent sharp bitterness (I suppose it can be described as grassy by some people) form beers that I brewed with no hops in the kettle and all the hops going into the no-chill cube. Keep in mind that all these zero hops to the kettle beers was hopped in the cube to 35-55 IBU's
                                Harhm
                                Last edited by Harhm; 10 June 2019, 11:55.

Comment

Working...
                                X