No announcement yet.

Crescat Yeast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had my first taste of the Crescat US1933 Local Blonde Smash. Only 2 weeks in the bottle so still very young.

Very happy with the results however and considering to use this yeast as my house ale yeast in place of US-05. I've attached some pics. It's not at all clear but that's how it was expected as I didn't use any finnings. I cold crashed for a couple of days but i suspect it will clear a bit more over time, since after only two weeks, it's not yet completely done with carbonation/conditioning.

Yeast is clean, hop aroma pops through very nicely. I think the yeast might work specifically well with lighter ales as the little less attenuation compared with US-05 gives it a bit more of a soul. For some styles (stronger) you might want a higher attenuation to dry it out more. The second batch is now cold crashing and though i don't specifically want a clear blonde ale, i might fine with gelatine to see how the yeast reacts.

Will use this yeast next on a Northern Brown English ale and then a Dry Irish Stout. Glad to hear the guys from Crescat are going to give a talk at the east rand meeting coming up. IMG-20170916-WA0010.jpgIMG-20170916-WA0008.jpg

Comment

I've been brewing my way through the Crescat beasties the last few weeks. Here is what I've found on my side to date from a fermentation perspective, tasting notes will follow.

CL010 Moravian Vale - This really requires a starter and patience. Pitched one vile into 1.5L starter, took 5 days to show any activity. Currently fermenting out on a Pilsner. Started fermentation at 12C, currently on diacetyl rest. Will post back tasting notes later.

CL009 Trapeze Trappist - Pitched 1 vial on 11L Belgian Tripple, blew off bung twice at mild 18C. Currently bottle conditioning.

CL004 Black Clover - Did a small viability starter of 500mL the night before. Brewed a Dry Irish stout fermenting at 18C. Apparent attenuation of 66% finishing a bit high. Definitely favours malt flavour with the roast a lot more prominent than with Fermentis S-04. Soft fruit esters in background. Floculation very low.
      Re-pitched yeast cake on 17L RIS at 1.095. Took off like a rocket, tasting notes to follow on RIS.

CL011 Bayernfest - Did a small viability starter of 500mL the night before. Brewed Pils fermenting at 14C. Soft round mouth-feel with muted hop flavour.
      Maturation update: This yeast dropped brilliantly clear. Definitely requires lagering, flavour profile changed to greater hop bitterness as expected from German style Pils.
      Michelle
      Last edited by Michelle; 16 October 2017, 14:50. Reason: CL011 updated

Comment

So I want to give Crescat a go. Problem is that Johan (Brewmart) is not going to continue with them beyond the current stock. Trade volumes are too low, pity they aren't well supported.

There doesn't seem to be a good selection elsewhere, I am initially looking for the London.

I wanted to contact Crescat directly but cannot find them on the net.

Edit: OK Johan just told me that if we get a decent group order going he would buy. He is going to look for their contact details.
        Bryan
        Last edited by Bryan; 26 April 2018, 10:07.
        "I’m Allergic to grass. Hey, it could be worse. I could be allergic to beer." – Greg Norman

Comment

You can contact Christopher Rothmann.
          RothmannC [at] ufs.ac.za
          +27 (0)82 491 3245

Comment

I am looking for some Marzen style liquid yeast and I am keen to try the Bayernfest yeast from Crescat. I found this link locally but they have no contact or location details and Ive never heard of them before. Has anyone else?

http://www.buynbrew.co.za/product/ba...-crescat-labs/

Trying to find a reliable source for the Crescat yeasts, but seems to be slim pickings.

Comment

With the variations in quality and viability on liquid yeast, we really hesitate to use it. I see Johan's Centurion shop has a bunch of vials on special as they are reaching the end of their sell by date.

Comment

I think there is another lab in the cape producing liquid yeast:
                http://beerguevara.com/liquid-yeast/
                BY Labs.

Comment

https://www.platoyeast.com/

Probably because so many craft breweries in Cape Town.

Good range as well.

Comment

Working...
                  X