Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtronSeige View Post
    I also asked them to join in.

I assume they have to wait until the one PC in Bloem is available.
    Hi guys! The computers finally arrived here!

My name is Christopher Rothmann. I am part of the Crescat labs team and production manager along with Dr. Errol Cason who will also be monitoring the feed. Thanks for the massive welcome we are very exited to have received such interest right from the start!

Just for some background, Both Errol and myself are Microbiologists, Biochemists and more importantly....brewers! We have between us over 20 years of laboratory experience and along with our partners have started our own lab in the Free State.

We are dedicated to producing high quality liquid yeast (and soon other microbes) for the brewing community and of course ourselves. We love yeast and care for them with great passion and professionalism, this is also why we package our product with 150 billion cells rather than the standard 100 billion to ensure a healthy fermentation constantly. All of our products are tested internally and externally for contamination and quality. Currently we have 18 strains of yeast for brewing and will soon also be doing distillers yeasts.

We are only in the beginning phases and have been investing our time into the product rather than extreme marketing hence the lack of a website and awareness so far. All information will be posted to Facebook for the time being so keep an eye out!

We have launched our product through Brewmart but soon we will be supplying to homebrew shops countrywide so if anyone is interested in having our product in their nearby store please contact us via Facebook. We will also cater for individual needs on a commercial scale where we can do bulk products with specific pitching requirements for large batches.

The most important thing for us is customer satisfaction so please feel free to ask questions and share your success with us.

Regards
    Crescat labs

Comment

Welcome! Super stoked :-)

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Comment

Welcome
        The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Welcome Christopher and the Crescat team!

My starter for a Pilsner is about to be started, so I am really excited as this is my first "proper" liquid yeast starter.

All the best and let us know when you are releasing new strains, or when we can help with anything.

Cheers!

Comment

Looking forward to trying the CL010 Moravian Vale. Will let you know the results.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Comment

I am really excited about this development!!!!!!!
              Maybe I am just blind, but I cannot seem to find it on Brewmart's website (which by the way has changed drastically since I last visited it)
              Cheers

Jacques

Comment

Originally posted by pretorjn View Post
                I am really excited about this development!!!!!!!
                Maybe I am just blind, but I cannot seem to find it on Brewmart's website (which by the way has changed drastically since I last visited it)
                Go to liquid yeast under the yeast tab

Sent from my SM-N910H using Tapatalk
                Primary: APA
                Bottled: Quad, tripel, K@K red ale
                Keg 1: Weiss. 2: Weiss. Keg 3: Air. Keg 4: Air
                Next up: world domination

Comment

I'm hoping to do a 200l batch of Grodsike

Comment

Originally posted by pretorjn View Post
                    It seems they relaunched during the week

Here is the new link: http://brewmart.co.za/index.php?rout...ory&path=57_63

Comment

Has anyone come back with some results from the Crescat Yeast? I've got some of the US1933 on stir plate now. Will ramp up around Wednesday/Thursday and pitch this weekend. Will post progress and results if anyone is interested. All local, malt hops and now yeast!

Comment

I've used a couple of their strains, including the US1933, which I liked.
                        They say each vial contains 150 billion cells which should be ok to direct pitch in most medium gravity ales, but in my experience (and from talking to others who have used their yeast) they definitely need a starter.

That said, I'm very excited about having a local supplier for liquid yeast.

Comment

Thanks for feedback. What style were you brewing with the US1933? Any yeast character to note or was it clean? In general also happy about the development. I guess we need to support them if we want to see a growing variety of strains.

Comment

Funny enough, I used it for my South African Ale - a recipe I've been playing with for some time. I found the fermentation character very clean. It attenuated and flocculated nicely as well.

Comment

Ok, so the first batch of blonde with the US1933 was bottled on Sunday. Came down to 1.009 from 1.049, which according to brewers friend is a 81% apparent attenuation. not too bad though I would have liked it a little lower. primary was done after about 5 days, i then let the temp float up a bit for a couple of days, then cold crashed for another couple of days before I bottled 2 weeks after pitching. Looking forward to the first taste.

I then pitched a second batch of same recipe on yeast cake also on Sunday, pitched and fermented at 18 degrees. It took off like a rocket and clogged up the airlock within 18 hours from pitch! had plenty of head space in the 30l fermenter so didn't expect blow off - inexperience showing i suppose. Then needed to replace airlock every 12 hours as I didn't yet have blow-off tube setup ready. Very surprised with such an intense fermentation. Last night, 54h from pitching, the gravity was already down to 1.01 and still bubbling... so by tonight, I expect primary to be done and hopefully around 1.006 - 1.007.

So far very happy with how this yeast ferments and testers also tasted very promising with none of the funky flavors which I usually expect while primary fermentation is still under way. Will give some feedback after first taste of the carbonated product.

Comment

Originally posted by The Flying Brew View Post
                                Ok, so the first batch of blonde with the US1933 was bottled on Sunday. Came down to 1.009 from 1.049, which according to brewers friend is a 81% apparent attenuation. not too bad though I would have liked it a little lower. primary was done after about 5 days, i then let the temp float up a bit for a couple of days, then cold crashed for another couple of days before I bottled 2 weeks after pitching. Looking forward to the first taste.

I then pitched a second batch of same recipe on yeast cake also on Sunday, pitched and fermented at 18 degrees. It took off like a rocket and clogged up the airlock within 18 hours from pitch! had plenty of head space in the 30l fermenter so didn't expect blow off - inexperience showing i suppose. Then needed to replace airlock every 12 hours as I didn't yet have blow-off tube setup ready. Very surprised with such an intense fermentation. Last night, 54h from pitching, the gravity was already down to 1.01 and still bubbling... so by tonight, I expect primary to be done and hopefully around 1.006 - 1.007.

So far very happy with how this yeast ferments and testers also tasted very promising with none of the funky flavors which I usually expect while primary fermentation is still under way. Will give some feedback after first taste of the carbonated product.

sounds quite promising indeed

Comment

Working...
                                X