Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SA in SA

Greetings from South Australia.

Our local homebrew club of which I am currently president are being sent some hops from South Africa to use to showcase via an Australian craft brewery.
    We will have Southern Dawn, Southern Star and African Queen.

Just wondering what to expect from these hops and if you may have some pointers as to how each could be showcased best?
    Any particular styles they lend themselves to best and any areas to avoid such as late hopping, dry hopping etc.

Help appreciated!
    Clint

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Hi Clint.

Please go to the Wort Hog brewers facebook group and look at the files. The spider graphs are loaded. Unfortunately i do not have fb access at the office.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Comment

Hi Clint, have a look at the following:

http://www.wortsandall.co.za/showthr...p?1950-SA-Hops

http://www.wortsandall.co.za/showthr...l-hop-profiles
      2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

Perfect. Thanks guys!

On a side note, I read some time ago that inbev were stopping the supply of these hops to the craft beer industry abroad. Is that still the case or was it just in the short term?

A quick google search shows me that the likes of Northern Brewer in the states have them available on their websites.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Comment

From what I understand, they will be 'reserving' the supply for the craft breweries that they own. They also have an agreement to keep supplying the South African market for a few years. No idea what will happen after that. It will be a big blow to the local craft beer scene if we can no longer get those hops.

Comment

According to the MD of SA Hop Farms in George, they will indeed be stopping future exports.

However, overseas craft brewers can always buy from ZA supply shops and ship.......

Comment

Working...
            X