Greetings, from Pretoria

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greetings, from Pretoria

Good morning ladies and gents, Toxxyc here. I'm new to this forum, but not new to forums in general. A little background...

Currently my hobbies include shooting (specifically IPSC pistol shooting), hunting and playing some PC games (less of this lately, though). I am a project coordinator at a large software company of profession, where I'm also studying to get to my degree (BSc: Computer Science and Applied Mathematics) through Unisa.

I have always been interested in the home brew game, but never really had the "push" to actually get started. Before the December shut down a colleague pointed out to me that he wanted to try his hand at making mead, and that triggered some things. I remembered that I had a bit of leftover honey at home that nobody was using, so I got down the business. Fermentation is now done and all that, but the aging is a killer (smells and tastes OK though).

So I thought "what else can I make". Then I remembered about all these beer making kits and all that that I saw plenty years ago, and did some digging. Prices skyrocketed from when I last look at this (I remember the kits pricing around R600~R800, and they're closer to R1,700 these days), and I was a bit demotivated. Posted on forums around and a very kind person came to my aid.

He dug out an old (but "brand new", never used) Copper Tun brewing kit at home. It was complete, with 30l fermenting vessel with tap, air lock, hydrometer, cleaning agents and sanitizer, Emily (the red one) capper, crown caps, brewing spoon, instructions, etc. etc. Also in the kit was two Mangrove Jack's brew tins, complete with brew enhancer and all that. They were grossly "expired" though, so when I asked him on a price for all of it he said "send a courier and it's yours". So yeah, I got it for free

Anyway, I did some research on the kits and tins, and started the first one (will create a post about it a bit later). Even with the expired ingredients, it's now brewing away nicely. Air lock is active and actually starting to slowly slow down by now (I'm about 85 hours since pitching the yeast), so I'm looking to bottle in a few days (once ferm is done).

So yeah, that's me. I'm new, and I'm absolutely in love with this new hobby. I can't wait to get this first batch down the hatch to see how it goes, and so that I can start the next one. This hobby is going to give me an excuse to drink - A LOT.

Thanks for allowing me on here, and know that I look forward to asking, learning and hopefully achieving a lot on here!

Welcome
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Welcome, and good luck on not spending too much time and money on beer
      Cheers

Jacques

Comment

Originally posted by pretorjn View Post
        Welcome, and good luck on not spending too much time and money on beer
        Heh, thanks! Money doesn't seem like a problem (it looks to be cheaper than actually buying store-bought beer, and I don't drink that much...yet), but time is already annoying SWAMBO...

Comment

Welcome!

Please provide advice on studying while working! I am also trying to study COS and MAT through Unisa this year, along with working (programmer), brewing and being a husband.

As for the old kit - extract kits get a very special metallic flavour (aka "Extract Twang") as they age. Chances are you will get this flavour. Sorry. :|

Shout if you need anything.

Comment

Originally posted by AtronSeige View Post
            Welcome!

Please provide advice on studying while working! I am also trying to study COS and MAT through Unisa this year, along with working (programmer), brewing and being a husband.

As for the old kit - extract kits get a very special metallic flavour (aka "Extract Twang") as they age. Chances are you will get this flavour. Sorry. :|

Shout if you need anything.
            Thanks! No worries on the "extract twang". I expected it wouldn't be perfect, but that's to be expected for free, expired kit. On my thread I created on the brew here, I mentioned that it's now coming to an end on primary fermentation, so at least it's going still. The smell from the air lock is mouth-wateringly good...

On studying - it's not easy. I'm not a father yet (but we are planning), but as a full-time employed working student it is difficult. You can make it work though with dedication and hard rules - and hoping you get study leave from your company. Send me a PM as not to derail threads and I'll assist in any way possible. I'm almost halfway through my degree now (first level modules done, some second level modules done), so I'm by no means the perfect example, but at least I know a tip or two.

Comment

Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
              Thanks! No worries on the "extract twang". I expected it wouldn't be perfect, but that's to be expected for free, expired kit. On my thread I created on the brew here, I mentioned that it's now coming to an end on primary fermentation, so at least it's going still. The smell from the air lock is mouth-wateringly good...
              Good smells from the fermenter is a good thing... But sometimes it smells like rotten eggs, and that is also OK.

Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
              On studying - it's not easy. I'm not a father yet (but we are planning), but as a full-time employed working student it is difficult. You can make it work though with dedication and hard rules - and hoping you get study leave from your company. Send me a PM as not to derail threads and I'll assist in any way possible. I'm almost halfway through my degree now (first level modules done, some second level modules done), so I'm by no means the perfect example, but at least I know a tip or two.
              Maybe we should work together to get a blog going on how to manage to good brewing life when partners, bosses, studies, banks, video/card/board games, book, family, children, pets and sleep all try to get in the way. :P

I will drop a PM. I need all the help I can get.

Comment

Originally posted by AtronSeige View Post
                Maybe we should work together to get a blog going on how to manage to good brewing life when partners, bosses, studies, banks, video/card/board games, book, family, children, pets and sleep all try to get in the way. :P
                Heh. Set it up, I suspect it's more common than we realize.

Comment

Working...
                X