Brew in a basket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
    So you want to use the pot as a bag inside the urn?

Almost like a bucket in bucket mash tun ?
    1st prize would be a mesh basket but I am also looking for an alternative like making something similar to the pic out of allumunium with a bag inside.

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

Comment

the wide flat design works its just affects you bag design (just make a bag that fits) and boil-off is a bit different (so fill and boil water for an hour to work out what it is). Then you are golden.
      I've been using wide flat pots for BIAB for years with great success.
      Originally posted by jannieverjaar View Post
      No idea I've not needed to check yet. Bought long before the current crisis. But its BIG so if you plan to stick it inside an urn it wont work. But its wide and flat design works well as a mash tune and kettle for BIAB

Sent from my SM-A750F using Tapatalk
      Do you want to be good or be praised - Epicurus
      Do what you do to the best of your ability, and blessings will follow you

Comment

You just need a good burner for a wide, flat pot. My regular gas stove (a 2-plate stove) can't get my wide, flat pot to a properly rolling boil when it's filled up.

Comment

Yo, what about these? https://www.game.co.za/game-za/en/Al...set/p/00794941

Three pots, ranging in size from around 7.5 liters to 15 liters (according to other sources). Stainless steel and everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
            Yo, what about these? https://www.game.co.za/game-za/en/Al...set/p/00794941

Three pots, ranging in size from around 7.5 liters to 15 liters (according to other sources). Stainless steel and everything.
            Thanks. I'm going to try and see one in person to get the dimensions. The Hart pot is 21l but aluminum. I want to hold as much grain as possible but SS is sexy haha

Comment

SS isn't only sexy, it's also resistant to the acidity of mashing.

Comment

Originally posted by johncoram89 View Post
                1st prize would be a mesh basket but I am also looking for an alternative like making something similar to the pic out of allumunium with a bag inside.
                Ok, so I was right. Good idea you have there, but I think it's going to be difficult to find a pot, especially from the "Hart" range to fit inside the Urn.

If its not all about the "sexiness" of SS, you could maybe find a bucket that might fit? ... much easier to drill also.
                The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Why not get this bucket and drill some holes, you might also get some mesh and use that steel putty. Happy brewing

https://ahmeds.co.za/products/ice-bu...iABEgL5CvD_BwE

Comment

^ that could also work yes

Drill same large holes and fit a ±300micron mesh false bottom similar to the one inside a GF

Comment

That's 100% the idea but I'm worried that a 20l capacity wont hold enough grain in a 50l urn with a 40x40cm. Any thoughts?

Comment

a 30X30 grain basket can apparently hold 6Kg of grain ... but dont take my word for it.

I think someone selling one on these forums once said that

so, .... what is the size of the 20L one ?

Comment

Thanks. I'm going to try and see one in person to get the dimensions. The Hart pot is 21l but aluminum. I want to hold as much grain as possible but SS is sexy haha

Did you manage to go have a look at those pots at Game? I'm now also leaning that way, maybe a bood option for a first time BIAB?

Comment

Originally posted by RudiC View Post
                            Did you manage to go have a look at those pots at Game? I'm now also leaning that way, maybe a bood option for a first time BIAB?
                            I haven't been able to go yet. I'm considering cutting up a 21l hart pot to create a collar and bolting it to another one so it meets the dimensions of my urn. Could be a disaster

Comment

I haven't been able to go yet. I'm considering cutting up a 21l hart pot to create a collar and bolting it to another one so it meets the dimensions of my urn. Could be a disaster

BrewCraft sells 22l grain baskets built with a Stainless Steel mesh. 310mm x 300mm. Prices are around R700 for a basket, so not bad at all.

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                                a 30X30 grain basket can apparently hold 6Kg of grain ... but dont take my word for it.

I think someone selling one on these forums once said that

so, .... what is the size of the 20L one ?
                                The one from Brewcraft is apparently 310mm x 300mm, for a total volume of around 22l. I read online that it takes 2 x 25l buckets to hold 25kg of grain, so volume wise that basket should hold over 10kgs of grain. I'm not sure how it'll work out once the malt is wet though, so I don't know.

Comment

Working...
                                X