No announcement yet.

Brew in a basket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for their input. I'm going for the brewcraft basket and will feedback with some pics once it arrives.

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by johncoram89 View Post
      I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for their input. I'm going for the brewcraft basket and will feedback with some pics once it arrives.

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

That would be great, Thanks
      The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Sorry for waking this thread up again ....

@johncoram89 Did you get that basket? ... Any pics?

I got a quote today to manufacture a custom one at 280mm wide x 380mm high

Price was R1,880 excl. ... not what i would like to pay, altho I see the Brewcraft one has also jumped from R650 to R1135

Comment

I was so close to buying one on 2 different occasions and I regret not pulling the trigger on either.

I came across someone on FB who was developing one and wanted to sell me a sample but I didn't have the money at the time.

I will try get in touch again because I'm also I'm the market if it could be sub R1k

Sent from my SM-A315F using Tapatalk

Comment

I got the nicest Biab on ali express for around $4 but I do wish it could drain over the kettle without a pully

Sent from my SM-A315F using Tapatalk

Comment

I still have to fit our 500L kettle with a basket (the 200L system is no longer in the plans ). It also needs some recirc fittings. Maybe I should talk to Jonathan again. Was thinking of a Grainfather design: mesh at the bottom, solid on the sides.

Comment

Originally posted by jakeslouw View Post
                I still have to fit our 500L kettle with a basket (the 200L system is no longer in the plans ). It also needs some recirc fittings. Maybe I should talk to Jonathan again. Was thinking of a Grainfather design: mesh at the bottom, solid on the sides.
                Yup, the solid side malt pipe design is better than the basket type design where its all mesh.
                With the pipe style it has to recirc through the grain, in the mesh type its easier to just push out the sides so it doesnt work as well.

500L system??! how many people does that get split between??
                If you are going that size then maybe a good false bottom is a better plan? especially if you are going 3 vessel that is.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocket-Boy View Post
                  500L system??! how many people does that get split between??
                  If you are going that size then maybe a good false bottom is a better plan? especially if you are going 3 vessel that is.
                  Mega BIAB. Single vessel. 300L batches max, minimum 150L batches. (5-10 kegs).

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                    Sorry for waking this thread up again ....

@johncoram89 Did you get that basket? ... Any pics?

I got a quote today to manufacture a custom one at 280mm wide x 380mm high

Price was R1,880 excl. ... not what i would like to pay, altho I see the Brewcraft one has also jumped from R650 to R1135
                    Asked that same people that did the quote for a price on just the mesh basket without the frame, so I can stick it into a plastic bucket with some holes, thinking it might be cheaper .... guh ... price came in at R1000 excl (R650 for basket and R350 for a once off compulsory setup fee)

Comment

Originally posted by jakeslouw View Post
                      Mega BIAB. Single vessel. 300L batches max, minimum 150L batches. (5-10 kegs).
                      Sounds awesome, kinda like the really big Braumeister 1000L units with the hand crank crane for lifting the "bag"?

Comment

I've also been thinking about a solid side type malt pipe to eventually replace my voile bag... Homebrewers in other countries seem spoilt for choice with cheap stainless pots to modify. I've not been able to find anything suitable locally and my recent travails in modifying my keg fermenter has proven that finding people to do proper fabrication is difficult and not cheap...

I wonder if we can save costs by doing a group thing...

Comment

Originally posted by Rikusj View Post
                          I've also been thinking about a solid side type malt pipe to eventually replace my voile bag... Homebrewers in other countries seem spoilt for choice with cheap stainless pots to modify. I've not been able to find anything suitable locally and my recent travails in modifying my keg fermenter has proven that finding people to do proper fabrication is difficult and not cheap...

I wonder if we can save costs by doing a group thing...
                          Low volume custom fabrication is always expensive.
                          The other side is whether you want a retention ring like the Brewzilla and all of its generics, or if you want something simple like the Clawhammer with its drop in clips.
                          I have my urn setup in the garage with a pulley system, that is also a really simple and cheap option if you can mount a point to the roof/ceiling/rafters.

Comment

Something simple like Clawhammer is all I need

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                              Something simple like Clawhammer is all I need
                              I would love one of their systems, they are simple and work really well.
                              I love their Youtube channel too, those guys would be super fun to brew with.

Comment

I'd be fine with a simple setup as well - also have a pulley above the urn... it's just trying to get it done at a reasonable price. It's not something that would have a massive impact on efficiency vs a voile bag... atleast not basket vs bag. The solid sided pipe with perforated bottom may have an impact as it's forcing the wort to flow through the entire bed of grain top to bottom. No shortcuts through the sides.

Comment

Working...
                                X