Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Second brew: Brewing a severely "expired" kit (again)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CraftyZA View Post
    I can vouch for those pouches! I’ve had pouches turn out better than some of my all grains...
    Well that's reassuring, for sure! Is there any specific pouches you would recommend? I'm VERY lus to try a chocolate stout for my next beer brew. I heard that stouts are harder to stuff up and with the winter coming a chocolate stout sounds awesome. I'm hooked after drinking one the other day!

Comment

Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
      Well that's reassuring, for sure! Is there any specific pouches you would recommend? I'm VERY lus to try a chocolate stout for my next beer brew. I heard that stouts are harder to stuff up and with the winter coming a chocolate stout sounds awesome. I'm hooked after drinking one the other day!
      I’ve done a stout, pilsner, and a weis.
      All from pouches. There was others, but cant remember them. I think one was a bitter as well.
      When making the stout, drop in a small stick of licorice wood while boiling the enhancer.
      Just a 5 minute boil is plenty.

Comment

I’ve done a stout, pilsner, and a weis.
        All from pouches. There was others, but cant remember them. I think one was a bitter as well.
        When making the stout, drop in a small stick of licorice wood while boiling the enhancer.
        Just a 5 minute boil is plenty.
        Thanks for the tip, I'll keep it in mind! Where would one find licorice wood, incidentally? Anyway, I'm torn between these two: http://brewcraft.co.za/mangrove-jack...ch-176020.html or http://brewcraft.co.za/mangrove-jack...ut-176041.html

The workingman's seems a bit less bitter, which seems like a nicer choice to me but the Roasted Stout seems to have a lot more chocolate flavour flavour and a fuller body...?

Anyway, on a totally unrelated note, does anyone know of a home brew shop in Randfontein?

Comment

Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
          Thanks for the tip, I'll keep it in mind! Where would one find licorice wood, incidentally? Anyway, I'm torn between these two: http://brewcraft.co.za/mangrove-jack...ch-176020.html or http://brewcraft.co.za/mangrove-jack...ut-176041.html

The workingman's seems a bit less bitter, which seems like a nicer choice to me but the Roasted Stout seems to have a lot more chocolate flavour flavour and a fuller body...?

Anyway, on a totally unrelated note, does anyone know of a home brew shop in Randfontein?
          Some health shops stock it.

Comment

Opened one of these beers this weekend after a week of carbonating. Carbonation was good, with a nice head and typical bubbles from only one week of sitting (so, larger bubbles that faded relatively quickly). I took one taste and tossed the rest down the drain. It's frigging terrible. It's bitter (but not good bitter), tastes like metal and has an incredibly dry finish. Like dry white wine in the finish, but without anything good that goes along with this. Leaves your tongue dry and scratchy. I HIGHLY doubt this will ever be even remotely drinkable, so I'm seriously considering just tossing it all down the drain. Will free up my bottles and crate and give some space in the pantry. Thoughts?

Comment

Tested. It's getting worse. There's a dry bite in this beer that's getting dryer and dryer. At this stage it's so bad that it feels like you stuck your tongue on the applicator of a bottle of antiperspirant roll-on, mixed with that strong, undying metallic taste. It's HORRIBLE. Now I need to find out if the beer will be good for the garden and if I should rather flush it...

Comment

QUOTE=Setsumi;18459]The thing with expired kits is oxidation. If you look at your wort it is dark but the can say munich lager. The dark wort is oxidated and will have a metalic off taste.[/QUOTE]

Posted on page 1

Comment

Originally posted by Setsumi View Post
                  QUOTE=Setsumi;18459]The thing with expired kits is oxidation. If you look at your wort it is dark but the can say munich lager. The dark wort is oxidated and will have a metalic off taste.
                  Posted on page 1[/QUOTE]
                  Indeed, you called it! :P I know about this oxidation and metallic taste in old kits, but just because a kit is old does not guarantee this (my first brew is proof of this). I was merely hoping, and I wasn't lucky. As simple as that.

Comment

Opened and poured out 50 beers yesterday. Followed some online advice and treated my lawn's brown spots - let's see if it works.

PS: I tried one before pouring it out - couldn't even swallow it. Spat it out - this was truly a disgusting brew Lawn smells of sweet and beer now.

Also one thing I noticed when opening them - carbonation levels in these beers varied WILDLY. In the last batch, there was some variation, but not much at all. All had more or less the same amount of carbonation. In this, I'm surprised some bottles didn't explode. I opened some flip top Grolsch bottles and while all of them made a "pop" noise (as always), two bottles popped to loud and so hard that the cap flew off and actually hit me hard enough to hurt my hand, and rip the metal clip from the bottle.

I won't be brewing an expired kit with any kind of hope any time soon.

Comment

Second brew: Brewing a severely "expired" kit (again)

Grolsch bottle can take serious amounts of pressure.
                      I’ve got 2 bottles about a 2.5 year old. Just an experiment. I have no intention of drinking them. Purely boiled dme, and either simcoe or cascade hops.
                      Opened one about a year ago and it created a fountain about 2m high. Insanely sweet caramel like smell.

I fermented it, then bottled after 4 weeks. Starting gravity was about 1.350. No idea what fg was?

It was actually meant to be an additive to a beer i was making, but there was an accident in the kitchen, so i decided to just ferment this dme syrup and see what happens. Fermented with lalvin.

Any ways. I will not be surprised if this is above 5 vols of co2
                      Its the champaign bottles of the beer world. They just will not explode

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Grolsch bottle can take serious amounts of pressure.
                        I’ve got 2 bottles about a 2.5 year old. Just an experiment. I have no intention of drinking them. Purely boiled dme, and either simcoe or cascade hops.
                        Opened one about a year ago and it created a fountain about 2m high. Insanely sweet caramel like smell.

I fermented it, then bottled after 4 weeks. Starting gravity was about 1.350. No idea what fg was?

It was actually meant to be an additive to a beer i was making, but there was an accident in the kitchen, so i decided to just ferment this dme syrup and see what happens. Fermented with lalvin.

Any ways. I will not be surprised if this is above 5 vols of co2
                        Its the champaign bottles of the beer world. They just will not explode

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
                        Well that's comforting, because I'm planning on bottling some experimental stuff in the future, and I need bottles that can re-seal. So they'll be the ones I use!

Comment

...but dont now think you can go crazy with the Vol of CO² in Grolsch bottles. When I was into Ginger Beer we had some serious bottle bombs with Grolsch bottles and they were only done with about 8g sugar per Lt of beer
                          The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                            ...but dont now think you can go crazy with the Vol of CO² in Grolsch bottles. When I was into Ginger Beer we had some serious bottle bombs with Grolsch bottles and they were only done with about 8g sugar per Lt of beer
                            Yeah I'm not planning on going crazy. I'm guessing there's a lot more to it than just putting sugar into a bottle, so I'm always leaving some headspace to allow for compression when bottling in them. I use carbonation drops, and they equate to 3.5g of sugar per 450ml, so that's also about 8g per liter, and so far, so good...

Comment

Working...
                            X