No announcement yet.

CPT Water - Very Technical Question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CPT Water - Very Technical Question...

Ok, so I asumme we must have at least 1 hydrophile out there (Is there such a thing?)

Anyway - so I'm trying to work out what my water profile would be (roughly) without paying for a fancy test.

Normally I get Newlands water for brewing but the queues are insane. If I take my 25L of cape town water and run it through my home filter (2 stage, first a 5 micron particle filter, then combination GAC/KDF filter) what would I have left.

Attached is the full water profile for cape town water (I'm in volvlei catchment), but the key numbers are;
    Ca - 15
    Mg - 2.8
    SO4 - 23
    Na - 13
    Cl - 26
    HCO3 - ??? (Can't find this on the chart)

Water Analysis Report_English.pdf

LOL! I think you mean a hydrologist, hydrophile, with the "phile" postfix would indicate a sexual affection or attraction to water. Which, in itself, would explain half of Cape Town's people by now, but that's not the point... :P

To be honest, it'll be impossible to calculate your water profile, specially since the tables attached are from as long ago as 30 June 2017. It'll have to be tested (which costs a lot of money), which is why most people start off by using RO water (purified, store-bought water cleansed through Reverse Osmosis). These water bottles or stores will have a profile you can work from, since these waters are low in minerals and chemicals. You can then add what you need in the amounts that you need to build a water profile for your brew.

Comment

Your water would not change i.t.o. chemical ion composition by filtering it unless you do RO. I wish I had water like that, I would just add a bit of Epsom to increase the Ma, add some Cal Cl and Ca SO4 and brew Lagers and Pilsners all day long.
      Harhm
      Last edited by Harhm; 15 February 2018, 11:32.
      2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

I know I need RO for pure water, but I thought Charcoal filters removed chlorine for example? And that combination KDF/GAC filters could remove even more items like calcium, etc
        camsaway
        Last edited by camsaway; 15 February 2018, 17:28.

Comment

Yes carbon filters do remove chlorine but apparently KDF/GAF do not remove calcium Some info on KDF/GAF where they claim that KDF/GAF system actualy preserves the beneficial minerals like calcium and magnesium.

According to Beersmith with a CaCo3 of 49 your HCO3 = +- 60 ( giving you a low effective hardness of 12 and a residual alkalinity of 37) ideal water for beer with a EBC of 8-13 i.e. fairly soft and balanced brewing water.

What is your current water treatment for brewing?
          2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

Thanks Harhm. Up to now I've been collecting water from Newlands (SAB) spring but with the current drought there are queues of over an hour and you can only collect 25L per time - so that's not an option for a while so i'm exploring other options (just used the last of the water I collected at the beginning of Jan).

Comment

Working...
            X