No announcement yet.

Grainfather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep, if it could do the bottle cleaning and bottling would buy on immediately, even if I had to make loan to do so.
    Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

Lucky for me I came in quite ncheap for my setup.
      2 x converted 50L kegs - R1300
      Wort chiller - R600
      2 x gas burners - R600
      Piping and connctors (gas and beer) - R200
      Other odds and end - R200
      Already had gas bottle, gas regulator, submersable pump and voile for bags.
      I have no pumps except for the wort chiller, use gravity feed.

Comment

Sorry mistake R2300 for 2 converted kegs

Comment

I have brewed with a friends GF few times. Its really a nice piece of practical equipment but at around R14 000 to produce 20 liter of wort @ R700/L its totally over priced.

@ R700 per L of wort you can spend R35 000 on a 50 L BIAB system

I think home brewers in general spend far too much money on shiny equipment to produce wort rather than spending it on fermentation and/or kegging equipment that will have a far greater positive effect on beer quality.
          2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

Yep, I pesonally would rather spend the money on kegging equipment, my next step, hopefully beggining of next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Harhm View Post
              I have brewed with a friends GF few times. Its really a nice piece of practical equipment but at around R14 000 to produce 20 liter of wort @ R700/L its totally over priced.

@ R700 per L of wort you can spend R35 000 on a 50 L BIAB system

I think home brewers in general spend far too much money on shiny equipment to produce wort rather than spending it on fermentation and/or kegging equipment that will have a far greater positive effect on beer quality.
              Do 2 batches and you will halve your costs!!
              Cheers,
              Lang
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

OK so the new Grainfather G70 has been announced, and release date is set for early next year. Price? US$1,800. That's just insane.

Comment

They can keep it ! I'd much rather go for the Brewtools80 Pro at around the same price or a Brewzilla 65l for half the price

https://www.brewtools.no/en/brewing-...no_eu_220_240v

https://www.kegland.com.au/brewzilla-65l-gen-3.html
                  which I believe bevplus/demtech is launching locally as a demacraft system http://www.dematechsa.com/static/med...demacraft_.pdf
                  groenspookasem
                  Banned
                  Last edited by groenspookasem; 15 November 2019, 10:25.

Comment

Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
                    OK so the new Grainfather G70 has been announced, and release date is set for early next year. Price? US$1,800. That's just insane.
                    I think its time we all put our heads together and develop a more affordable, locally produced "Graanpapa"
                    Cheers,
                    Lang
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Langchop View Post
                      I think its time we all put our heads together and develop a more affordable, locally produced "Graanpapa"
                      I'm still on my idea of a "CheapFather". Urn with a hot water pump, sommer 12V, some tubing and an STC-1000 and you're there.

Comment

So,

I have and use a grainfather.

For fun though I have had a bash at prototype an urn based clone. Total spend +/-R5k incl. touchscreen Raspberry Pi controller running CraftBeerPi. Could easily neaten it up and scale it up to a bigger urn. I'm actually now looking to hack the GF controller so that I can use the RPi to run it instead. Easy hack, new temp probe and connect the heater and pump to my controller - better hack, need to decode the BT protocols so I can connect to it via BT from the Pi (This is going to take a while - as I have no idea how to do it. So far I have got a BT trace into wireshark. If anyone can help, please let me know!)

20190907_174027.jpg
                        20190917_175154.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
                          They can keep it ! I'd much rather go for the Brewtools80 Pro at around the same price or a Brewzilla 65l for half the price

https://www.brewtools.no/en/brewing-...no_eu_220_240v

https://www.kegland.com.au/brewzilla-65l-gen-3.html
                          which I believe bevplus/demtech is launching locally as a demacraft system http://www.dematechsa.com/static/med...demacraft_.pdf
                          Brewtool: R28k... Um no
                          Brewzilla: R6.5k... okay maybe. Quite a nice option actually
                          Cheers,
                          Lang
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by camsaway View Post
                            Easy hack, new temp probe and connect the heater and pump to my controller - better hack, need to decode the BT protocols so I can connect to it via BT from the Pi (This is going to take a while - as I have no idea how to do it. So far I have got a BT trace into wireshark. If anyone can help, please let me know!)

Nice. No clue what you are talking about. But I guess in essence the RPi on your urn allows you to delay start and then ramp up and down temps etc?
                            Cheers,
                            Lang
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by camsaway View Post
                              So,

I have and use a grainfather.

For fun though I have had a bash at prototype an urn based clone. Total spend +/-R5k incl. touchscreen Raspberry Pi controller running CraftBeerPi. Could easily neaten it up and scale it up to a bigger urn. I'm actually now looking to hack the GF controller so that I can use the RPi to run it instead. Easy hack, new temp probe and connect the heater and pump to my controller - better hack, need to decode the BT protocols so I can connect to it via BT from the Pi (This is going to take a while - as I have no idea how to do it. So far I have got a BT trace into wireshark. If anyone can help, please let me know!)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2212[/ATTACH]
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]2213[/ATTACH]
                              check out github - there's a project for it for all to see

Comment

Originally posted by Langchop View Post
                                Brewtool: R28k... Um no
                                Brewzilla: R6.5k... okay maybe. Quite a nice option actually

yup - i'll run my GF till it's dead before i replace it. even then it's pretty easy to change the pump and hack an element in. but if i do, it will be a BB80. Brewtools does have 40l version too - can't recall the price. The brewzilla is great too and cheap as chips, no BT or wifi iirc.

Comment

Working...
                                X