No announcement yet.

Grainfather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks atron and jakes, i agree atron, my concern thou is that something was wrong, its like the temperature maxed out at 96, jakes it really is amazing thou, and i got an 85 percent efficiency first go

Comment

Could be that my probe wasnt in fully into thermal well, also added my hops to hop bags, however the bags came loose and hops ended up it pot, even thou filter was covered with hop sludge, process of pumping via cooler into fermenter went great.

Comment

Hi Jake's how's the grainfather treating u

Comment

Originally posted by Tmartins View Post
          Hi Jake's how's the grainfather treating u
          fantastically!

We've done about 4 batches with it, so we're getting used to the system. Last one was an epic Weiss that really came out flawlessly.

Tomorrow will be another Weiss or else an APA.

Comment

Great Jake's, I really think its an amazing piece of equipment

Comment

It seems from what I hear is the the grainfather is great. However except for exact temperature controll I fail to see the big benefit.
              I have 50 liter converted kegs, the same process I use you still have to use with the grainfarther, mash, sparge, boil, chill.
              However I have never brewed with a grainfarther so due to this maybe I am not seeing the benefit. Please enlighted me.
              Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

Originally posted by BeerHolic View Post
                It seems from what I hear is the the grainfather is great. However except for exact temperature controll I fail to see the big benefit.
                I have 50 liter converted kegs, the same process I use you still have to use with the grainfarther, mash, sparge, boil, chill.
                However I have never brewed with a grainfarther so due to this maybe I am not seeing the benefit. Please enlighted me.
                The Grainfather is all that - and computerised. Want to brew Saturday morning but boiling takes too long? No problem. Set it and it'll start boiling early enough so you have nothing to wait for. Stuff like that.

Comment

Do not get me wrong, yes it seem to be a great piece of equipment. I have read all this about the grainfarher, to me personally it is just bells and whistles, not something I would seriously consider getting.

Comment

If I had the money it would be a no-brainer, to be honest. For a budget brewer though, I'm not so sure.

Comment

Originally posted by BeerHolic View Post
                      For a partially unattended brew day when you are multi-tasking, it is brilliant. No timers, no alarm clocks, no tick lists.

Precise recirculation
                      Precise mash temps

There are basically only a few manual processes:
                      - mash in
                      - sparge
                      - hops addition
                      - connection of recirculation arm and chiller coil

Chilling is a one step process using the counterflow chiller which is better than most that I have seen.
                      Cleaning is quick and easy and is done as a CIP process.

Once you have set up a multi-tier 50L keg system with quality controllers, pumps, solenoid valves, chillers and pipes, you're easily down the same price as a Grainfather. If you DON'T have any of these automated stuff, then you're basically stuck in the brewery for 3+ hours.

But if it isn't for you, it isn't for you. I still brew in a 100L BIAB system. But I'm well knackered after a 75L batch.

Comment

Thanks jakeslow. Maybe further in the future I may consider, but a longer brew day at this stage does not bother me, I actually enjoy it. If situation arises that I do not have the time to brew and the available beer stock is getting low I will do a quick extract (usually keep a few pouches for this), still much better than commercial beers.

Comment

Hi beerholic, I get where you coming from, I also started with with a basic biab, system with gas, then I moved over to an electric urn, biab, maintaining temps were an issue, efficiencies weren't great, cooling also wasnt great, if I added all my individual costs, ss pots, pumps, copper chilled, etc you almost at the price of the grainfather, the multi step mash function is amazing and most important consistency, I struggled with consistency before, in short I absolutely love my gf, makes brewday simple and quick, with consistent results, but all persons are different, and I guess some persons enjoy touching the brew continuously, I do think the gf is pricey, but all brew equipment sold is pricey, to make things even clearer some videos compare the gf with the braumeister, which is almost twice the price of a gf, my beer is so much clearer, I no longer add irish moss, I think the filter and recirc through the grain bed helps a lot.

So it's bells and whistles and a bit more, also I don't mind paying a bit more cause the gf support is amazing, they respond almost immediately, lastly you have to pay for the design people have to eat, robobrew practically took the gf without connect controller and came out with something similar, for much cheaper,

Comment

Got a grainfather about 2 months ago - done 5 batches and am really enjoying it. Was doing AG BIAB before that. Agree it's a price tag but can easily spend the same on all the parts.

Having said that, I also understand the appeal of doing it from scratch, the DIY fun of mcgyvering bits... each to their own.

Comment

Would love me a GF , but yea, its also the price holding me back ....

At ±R14,000 I would like to make a batch to fill 2x kegs (±40L)
                              The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                                Would love me a GF , but yea, its also the price holding me back ....

At ±R14,000 I would like to make a batch to fill 2x kegs (±40L)
                                +1 for me. I'm also waiting for them to launch the GF Generation 2 that also does the bottling for you!
                                Cheers,
                                Lang
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

Working...
                                X