Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HERMS Vessels

Howzit Guys.

I've been doing BIAB for about a year and a half now and am quite keen to to upscale a bit. I'm keen to attempt to build myself a +- 50L HERMS system, but can't seem to find any reasonably priced vessels. Was thinking of using old 50L kegs, but I have no clue where I could even attempt to buy them. Anyone have advice/ideas/suggestions? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Ross

Hi Ross,

What are you currently using for to do your BIAB?

Old 50L kegs work pretty well, but they do have their downsides as well. I got mine a couple from SAB a few years ago so you can try contact someone in their distribution/packaging to see if they still sell decommissioned kegs. The 50L Logik urns available from Game are well priced and a good option. I've used them for years and I love them.

Do you specifically want to build a HERMS system or are you just looking for more control over your mash temps?

Comment

Welcome RossM

As robcass asked, whats the reason behind the herms system? ... I personally think a 50L keg is bit of an overkill for a homebrew BIAB setup.

Running a couple of meter copper inside a "mini"urn would be perfect if you looking at a controlled temp recirculating option ?? ... I've even seen pics/vids of guys running the copper inside a kettle

EDIT: How cool !

JIGSAW
      Last edited by JIGSAW; 17 April 2018, 14:32.
      The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Thanks, I'll see if I can get hold of anyone from SAB. What do you reckon are the downsides of kegs? I figured they would be the cheapest option for 50L vessels.

I'm currently using a 30L urn. It has worked pretty well, but keen to increase batch size and have a bit more control over mash temps, lautering, etc. I'm not dead set on a HERMS system, but do want to build a system that offers more control then BIAB. I also just want a project to spend some time on designing/building and figured HERMS would be fun to attempt.

Comment

Hi Ross

What volumes are you hoping to brew, I would have a much larger HLT than the MLT and BK? I went 80 + 60 + 60l. Will have to look at my spreadsheets to see why.

"I’m Allergic to grass. Hey, it could be worse. I could be allergic to beer." – Greg Norman

Comment

Stainless kegs are nice because they retain heat well. That's also the downside: chilling can take longer.

Remember with HERMS you have more nooks and crannies for grain particles and maltose to collect and solidify: think about your CIP process while you build your system. Specifically how to circulate hot caustic, as well as acid sanitiser and hot water without danger to yourself or your equipment.

Comment

Originally posted by RossM View Post
              Thanks, I'll see if I can get hold of anyone from SAB. What do you reckon are the downsides of kegs? I figured they would be the cheapest option for 50L vessels.
              I used an SAB keg with gas burner for a while and struggled a bit with extra time taken for heating and cooling due to the fairly thick S/S used on those kegs. But then I was always comparing them to my Logik urns which have worked so well for me. The SAB kegs might work better if you use an electric element rather than gas burners.

Originally posted by RossM View Post
              I'm currently using a 30L urn. It has worked pretty well, but keen to increase batch size and have a bit more control over mash temps, lautering, etc. I'm not dead set on a HERMS system, but do want to build a system that offers more control then BIAB. I also just want a project to spend some time on designing/building and figured HERMS would be fun to attempt.
              Half the joy of homebrewing for me is building cool gear so I say go for it! You can also do it in steps, maybe incorporating a recirculation step to your BIAB set-up, using a bigger vessel. This way you can get added control on mash temps without going full HERMS, and you can incorporate the components of this system into the HERMS system when you do build it, so no waste.

Comment

Originally posted by robcass View Post
                You can also do it in steps, maybe incorporating a recirculation step to your BIAB set-up, using a bigger vessel. This way you can get added control on mash temps without going full HERMS, and you can incorporate the components of this system into the HERMS system when you do build it, so no waste.
                This is good advice. The biggest drawback on a BIAB is clarity from recirculation.

The next step for me doing large batches is Brew In a Basket: that huge bag becomes a royal PITA.

Comment

I brew on a 60lt and 80lt stainless steel pool filters with a pump. If I was to upgrade I would get 2 98lt pots. You could get 1 98lt pot now for bigger BIAB now and a second later.

Comment

Originally posted by robcass View Post
                    Hi Ross,

The 50L Logik urns available from Game are well priced and a good option. I've used them for years and I love them.
                    Agree, look into logic urns. My HERMS consists of 3 of these + craftbeerpi controller. Works really well.

Just note that they hold less than 50l.

Comment

Working...
                    X