Devil's Peak Kings Blockhouse Clone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Devil's Peak Kings Blockhouse Clone

Have never brewed any IPA. Most of my brewing has been directed at European styles but I cannot escape the reality that I do absolutely love a good IPA.

I've decided that I'd like to attempt a clone of the Devil's Peak Kings Blockhouse as we all know, it's a lovely beer to drink.

I've found a thread stating the basic ingredients which is half the battle won:

http://truthtomaterial.com/furthur-b...velopment.html

I think I'll be ok with the grain bill which will probably be something like 4kg Pale Ale Malt, 500g Munich 20L, 250g Light caramel malt and 250g Wheat malt (for a 20l batch). Mash at 66 degrees C, fermented at 18 degrees C with a decent amount of US-05 and do the normal temp rise to dry the beer out towards the end of fermentation.

My concern is mostly with the hop schedule. They say that the beer uses Columbus, Chinook, Centennial, Citra and Amarillo. I've only once used Centennial and have never dry-hopped... Does anyone have any information on the hop schedule of this beer or can anyone with some good hop experience give guidance on what such a hop schedule would look like? They are talking about 53IBU's.

I'll start with RO water and add salts from there. Just really need the hop schedule...
    The Flying Brew
    Last edited by The Flying Brew; 12 May 2018, 14:15.

The devil is in the details, and the hop addition schedule is critical, especially determining the bittering hops and the aroma hops additions.

To establish a deep hop flavour, many brewers hop an IPA during the entire boil.

We brewed a Red IPA that won the Gauteng Beer Wars competition at Copperlake 3 years ago and it had 5 hops varieties that were added in 6 steps during the boil and then we added more at 70 degrees after the whirlpool.

To retain aromas and beta acid flavours, we only started hopping at 40 minutes and ended the boil step additions at 5 minutes.

I suggest a MINIMAL amount of a hi alpha acid hop at 60 minutes, to get your base bittering, and then a stepped hop schedule as above from around 30 minutes.

The key here is to determine the aromas and flavours you want to have dominate, and then concentrate on that hops as your dominant aromatic agent.

I'm sorry to say, but you might have to brew this one several times.

Comment

Oh yes: don't bother with a diacetyl rest at the end of the ferment: at 18 degrees with US-05 you can simply cold crash after 7 days. This isn't a lager yeast, after 7 days it's done what it needs to do when it comes to attenuation and will have started dropping out already.

Comment

Thanks Jakes!

I appreciate your input. Your comment on US-05 is interesting. You don't think increasing temp slightly to 20 or 21 could promote a slightly higher attenuation?

Will also take into consideration your comments on hop schedule. From general IPA discussions, I've found a schedule (general consensus on the thread) where you add bittering hops at 60 min, and then late additions at 15, 10, 5 and 1 min, with 50% of IBU's split between bittering and late hop additions. Then followed with dry-hopping after primary fermentation.

Going to do some research on each of the selected hops and have a couple of Blockhouse beers in the fridge, so will try and figure out approximately what they used for bittering, late hops and dry-hopping based on the characters of each hop. I'm not a beer judge and have average palate so this will mostly be a guesse but one has to try...

Comment

Originally posted by The Flying Brew View Post

I appreciate your input. Your comment on US-05 is interesting. You don't think increasing temp slightly to 20 or 21 could promote a slightly higher attenuation?
          All that will do is increase esters and maybe some fusil alcohols

Originally posted by The Flying Brew View Post
          I'm not a beer judge and have average palate so this will mostly be a guesse but one has to try...
          I'm no great shakes either, Elbie my wife has a better palate.

Comment

I tried it, not 100% on the mark but as close as I think I’ll ever get it. I posted it on BeerSmith under Devil’s Peak King’s Block house IPA clone
            Have a look and maybe try it out. I used a grainfather and only made a 20liter batch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

^ thanks, will save it for future
              The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

From the below mentioned the picture supplied of the Kings blockhouse is a 550ml bottle. Which was about 5 years back if my memory serves me correct.
                Has always been 'n great IPA but I do believe it has gone trough some iterations of improvement through the years.

I would say don't sweat the hop schedule too much (you'll never get it spot-on even after 10 attempts).
                But think you will produce a very solid IPA.

Have done an attempt at a clone about a year ago. Was a great hoppy IPA but not the real deal.

Here is my recipe.

70% Pale
                30% Munich

Hops
                Chinook @ 60 24 IBU
                Citra @ 30 8.7 IBU
                Centenial @ 25 6.65 IBU
                Amarillo @ 20 5 IBU
                Citra @ 15 5.66 IBU
                Amarillo @ 10 3 IBU
                Wirlpool with Amarillo, Citra & Centenial

Dry Hoped with Amarillo and Citra between day 4 and 8

OG 1.056
                FG 1.011
                ABV est 5.96
                IBU est 55

Comment

Anybody brewed this?
                  Are there any suggested changes to this recipe ?
                  Thinking of brewing this one..

Comment

I saved the recipe as posted by janhoeng in post #6, but I never got around to brewing it.

maybe give his recipe a go ?

EDIT:
                    This is what i have saved in Beersmith ... Not sure how far off of the original it is?

Screenshot_38.jpg
                    JIGSAW
                    Last edited by JIGSAW; 13 July 2021, 10:44. Reason: Added My Recipe

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                      I saved the recipe as posted by janhoeng in post #6, but I never got around to brewing it.

maybe give his recipe a go ?

EDIT:
                      This is what i have saved in Beersmith ... Not sure how far off of the original it is?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3417[/ATTACH]
                      Thx .. yes, will brew this one at some stage.
                      I've got a lot of hops .. and have always been conservative in it''s usage - but they are in the freezer for too long for my liking, so am using them in bulk .. good excuse to brew some IPA's.

I've got some wish list brews pending and not getting round to them. Revys Blonde, Irish Red Ale (thinking of adding some chit malt to this one - or try out the micronised stuff - for that fluffy head like a Kilkenny), proper Guiness clone (resist the urge to go beyond 4.2%) .. but eventually I will..

Comment

I've got way to many "wish list" recipes that i will more than likely never get to.

My problem is, I sometimes put together a 'spur of the moment' recipe (nothing complicated) and this in turn taste so good, that i brew it again ... and that's how I start to fall behind, but I suppose if it taste good, why not

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                          I've got way to many "wish list" recipes that i will more than likely never get to.

My problem is, I sometimes put together a 'spur of the moment' recipe (nothing complicated) and this in turn taste so good, that i brew it again ... and that's how I start to fall behind, but I suppose if it taste good, why not
                          Yea hear you .. brewed a pale ale with SA hops recently .. and it's almost the best beer ever. Southern Promise Pale Ale. .. derived from the Southern Queen Pale Ale (brewed last September) .. Southern Passion Pale Ale coming up..
                          Cool names anyway.

Comment

Throw in some citra and cascade for a passion fruit bomb!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jitters View Post
                              Throw in some citra and cascade for a passion fruit bomb!!
                              The origional recipe already has a lot of citra .. but no cascade.. it's got centennial tho.

EDIT:
                              This is what I've got so far:
                              DPKB.jpg
                              AlexBrew
                              Last edited by AlexBrew; 14 July 2021, 11:27.

Comment

Working...
                              X