Bottle capper not releasing bottles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bottle capper not releasing bottles

Hi goes when i use my bottle capoer at times it doesnt release the bottle, its the second capper i had with this problem, any suggestions

Many potential options:
    1. Twist off bottles do not always seal properly. You have to use pry off
    2. You are not using enough pressure - the caps do not seal completely
    3. You are using too much force - you broke the capper
    4. Your caps are damaged
    5. Your capper is not properly set up (metal cap holder thingy is loose or mechanism set too high if using standing capper)

What capper are you using?

Are you using new caps?

My first piece of info would be, when you finish capping a bottle, turn it upside down and you will possibly see it start to leak immediately.

Next, practice! Get a few bottles, fill them with colored water (to make it easier to see a leak) and cap them. Turn upside down.

Watch a few youtube videos on using your capper. I have personally not used it properly the first time.

If you are using a plastic capper, carefully check the arms. I broke the one arm, but it was a small break that only showed when you put pressure on the arm, and it meant that I never applied the correct pressure, aka all caps were on, but not sealed.

Comment

I read his question completely different ... not picking up on a leak problem ?

Tmartins could you explain your problem a little better (grammar seem off )
      The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Hi there, i use a bench capper, non of my bottles ever leak, even when turned upside down, my issue is the bottle top gets held by the capper i struggle to get it loose, ie i have to force bottle away from capper hard

Comment

As soon as you feel the capper does not release the capped bottles smoothly just spray the bell of the capper with a bit of Q20, works every time [emoji108]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
          2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

Originally posted by Harhm View Post
            As soon as you feel the capper does not release the capped bottles smoothly just spray the bell of the capper with a bit of Q20, works every time [emoji108]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
            Is it not releasing or not opening? I found mine gets stuck over the bottle if I don't cap straight down, but at an angle. As such I now cap standing over the bottles, straight down. Sitting next to them caps slightly skew, meaning the capper grabs the bottle with the little grip ring and gives you a fright.

Comment

The solution is simple; keg... But back to the problem. I think Toxxyc is correct, it is a prolly a matter of alignment. But it could also be the wrong fins on the capper for the bottle neck. Cappers have different fins for short and long necks. If you use the wrong fins the alignment will be difficult and the capper may catch at the bottom of thr cap.
              Setsumi
              Last edited by Setsumi; 1 June 2018, 22:30.

Comment

Something else you might check/ try: I initially had one of those red plastic double handled cappers and after a few brews I noticed the same thing. On the inside of the bell I could feel some slight gouges where the caps had scraped. Obviously the bell was not quite hard enough relative to the caps. I used medium grit sandpaper and sanded those smooth again (axially) and the problem went away, and touch wood, hasnt reared its ugly head again.
                Cheers,
                Lang
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

Thanks guys will give suggestions a go

Comment

Jeez... I do not know how I went from your question to my answer!

Probably read the question, did something else and answered what I thought the problem was. sorry about that!

My bench cappers do the same, I have an old and a new Ferrari Bench capper and they both do that. I thought I had to replace the bell.

Comment

Working...
                    X