• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pH Meters

Which pH meters so you recommend?

How do you store your pH meter?

How do you calibrate your pH meter?

How do you take pH readings, and where in the process do you take them?

Originally posted by AtronSeige View Post
    Which pH meters so you recommend?

How do you store your pH meter?

How do you calibrate your pH meter?

How do you take pH readings, and where in the process do you take them?
    I have one of those from Takealot, it cost about R300. I am not sure how accurate it is as I have nothing to calibrate it against. The storage instructions says rinse it and store it as is, ie not wet which is what I do and it seems to be working OK after a year.

To use it I rinse it with distilled water with a squeeze bottle. I put it in the reference PH 7 solution and adjust the screw thing so it reads 7. Then I rinse it again and I put it in a reference PH 4 solution and take the reading. Then I have an excel sheet where I record the reference solutions against what I read and plot them on a graph. Then read off the graph what I measured in my mash to get the right calibration.

In my mash I take a sample about 10 min into the mash, let it cool to the same temp as the reference solutions and take the reading and then read the actual off the graph. That is the only reading I take as adjusting the PH thereafter is tricky.

I know the chemistry of the water I am using, City of CT (I have also had samples checked at Bemlab, a local water testing company), and have plugged this into the Brewers Friend water calculator, https://www.brewersfriend.com/mash-c...er-calculator/. It says I need to add 12ml of phosphoric acid for my 28kg of grain with the 70lit of water to get a PH of 5,4 and I normally measure that so it seems to work for me. I am brewing a pilsner and the CT water is excellent for such styles. (I know its a thick mash but I do a stepped infusion so I can't add too much water to start)
    I spent 90% of my money on brewing and drinking beer and the other 10% I wasted

Comment

I have used pH strips before buying a pH meter, the strips did not work for me, too inaccurate imo, maybe im just crap with colours.

Rinse pH probe with clean water, airdry replace cap to protect probe and store.Calibrate every 3 or 4 months with 4 and 7 pH solution and adjust if needed.

I cool a 1/4 cup of wort (you just need to submerge the probe) in a glass plased in a small bowl filled with ice water, all readings done at around 20-22 C.

I take pH reading 5-10 min into mash and adjust with lactic. (5.2 - 5.4) I also take pH post boil but have never adjusted wort pH at the end of the boil, done right the 1st time will mostly ensure that the post boil pH end above 5.0 (5.1 - 5.2) I also take a beer pH after carbonation of final product (4.2 - 4.4)
      Harhm
      Last edited by Harhm; 20 June 2018, 12:23.
      2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

I never used the PH strips. Purchased a cheap (one of those typical yellow ones) meter online. unfortunately have no reference as to whether it's worth recommending. Tested my borehole water at office on par with Lab test though so should be ok.

I rinse the probe with clean water and then store with cap on. It's recommend that you store it wet so that the probe lasts longer. I recon if the probe gives in I'll upgrade the meter which I think I got for less than R200...

Calibrate it with PH buffers (7 and 4) as per other posts. Calibrated it when I got the meter 6 months ago. Probably over-due for to be calibrated again. It has temp correction within a certain range so I can't measure straight in the mash but need to cool the sample down somewhere between 20 and 30 degrees C.

I use phosphoric acid for adjustment. It only takes about 4ml for me to be in range for light (base malt only) beers. When brewing darker beers I usually don't need adjustment. I then take a reading 10 minutes into mash to confirm that I'm within range and adjust if required. Have recently started adjusting sparge water as well to ensure not over sparging. Still deciding on whether this is just plain overkill.

Would like to focus a bit more on brewing salts going forward since I've just been brewing with COJ water, which seems to be working fine for most ales but think it could make a significant difference on something like a Pilsner.

Comment

just don't dip the yellow meter into hot wort...........

BTDT and broke my first one

Comment

Originally posted by Rooster View Post
            I have one of those from Takealot, it cost about R300.
            Would you please add a link?

Comment

Originally posted by Harhm View Post
              I have used pH strips before buying a pH meter,
              I have one of those, but it was VERY inaccurate. I would calibrate it, then it would read tap water as 8, but when you take a reading a few minutes later, the water would be 4.

Maybe mine was broken...

Comment

Would you please add a link?
                http://www.wortsandall.co.za/showthr...ll=1#post19492
                The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

The American water boffins recommend Hach Pocket Pro+, Milwaukee MW102

A meter with replaceable sensor helps.

From what I've read, a pH meter will help to keep pH levels the same if water supply changes or changing to different malt suppliers.

I saw a Youtube video of Hill Farmstead Breweries and they were adjusting pH in mash, beginning and end of boil.

Comment

Maybe mine was broken...
                    there might have been something wrong with yours. Mine looks the same and is consistent when measuring the same liquid. Can clearly see the affect of acid additions etc.

Comment

Mine also seems to be fairly consistent and accurate (I actually have 2 of them and test with both). No problems dipping them directly into my mash either...

Comment

Yes mine too seems to be fine, the readings are repeatable, not sure about being accurate; but if I see what the water chemistry model I use predicts, the PH meter reads that, so I have no reason to doubt it.

I agree the strips are useless, maybe fine for ballpark readings but not for tweaking your water.
                        I spent 90% of my money on brewing and drinking beer and the other 10% I wasted

Comment

Then I will write it off as an equipment failure

I have another pH meter, but to replace the sensor will cost me R700 (last time I checked)... So maybe a smaller investment will be better, or I can add it onto the Hogswatch or birthday wish list

Comment

Working...
                          X