Dead yeast, what now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dead yeast, what now?

Hey everyone, sorry for the long absence, my PhD has really taken up my time lately. So much so that I went back to extract only brewing because it is quick and I want some beers, anyway.

On sunday I mixed together an extract beer using Mangrove Jack's craft series Helles, which came with M54 Californian Larger yeast from MJ.

I followed the instructions to the T, rehydrated the yeast and pitched it.

Pithing temp = 19 deg
    S.G = 1.049
    25L

The problem is that now here we are almost 4 days later and still no fermentation (I know this as the S.G has not moved in nearly 96 hours!!) so I am figuring that the yeast is dead. (I have read before that sometimes the yeast that comes with the extract kits is expired, but not sure, I didn't check).

I ordered a new yeast, but I just want to know is it safe to pitch it now, or is the risk of contamination to high after 4 days in the fermenter without any activity. Don't want to continue fermenting and bottling etc if I am guaranteed to have contaminated beer in the end.

On a side note, since my equipment has not been used in a few months I cleaned the shit out of it and am very sure my fermenter is sterile when I added the wort.

Originally posted by DR_Beer View Post
    Hey everyone, sorry for the long absence, my PhD has really taken up my time lately. So much so that I went back to extract only brewing because it is quick and I want some beers, anyway.

On sunday I mixed together an extract beer using Mangrove Jack's craft series Helles, which came with M54 Californian Larger yeast from MJ.

I followed the instructions to the T, rehydrated the yeast and pitched it.

Pithing temp = 19 deg
    S.G = 1.049
    25L

The problem is that now here we are almost 4 days later and still no fermentation (I know this as the S.G has not moved in nearly 96 hours!!) so I am figuring that the yeast is dead. (I have read before that sometimes the yeast that comes with the extract kits is expired, but not sure, I didn't check).

I ordered a new yeast, but I just want to know is it safe to pitch it now, or is the risk of contamination to high after 4 days in the fermenter without any activity. Don't want to continue fermenting and bottling etc if I am guaranteed to have contaminated beer in the end.

On a side note, since my equipment has not been used in a few months I cleaned the shit out of it and am very sure my fermenter is sterile when I added the wort.

Add the new yeast. Chances are nothing will be wrong with it - at all. Try and find out what strain the M54 is and try to get the same.

Comment

As Toxycc said, pitch new yeast and you should be fine.

If the new yeast does not take, then you screwed up something else

Comment

Working...
      X