Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie all-grain brewer

Hi everyone,
    As promised in my first thread linked below, I will do a proper introduction when I am ready for brewday:

http://www.wortsandall.co.za/showthread.php?2222-Mash-tun-temperatures

Any way, lets get started. I am Tones17 from Sasolburg and ventured into the unknown world of all-grain brewing after only two extract kits many moons ago. The control over your recipe that all-grain offers really intrigued me to give this a go.

Below is a pic of my humble set-up costing me really not much money as I found the urn in my father-in-law's garage, the cooler was already just standing around giving me enough reason to get started. The rest of my stuff was sourced from our local Brewcraft retailer.

IMG_20180616_101456a.jpg

So, since I am on leave I thought this is I my time to give this a go and started on Sunday night to grind my grains. I was getting really exited when those grain smells started to fill the kitchen. Now since this is my first brew, I had to gather my strength from another source, as you will see in the picture:

IMG_20180701_190106a.jpg

I got started around 08:00 the next morning after cleaning all my equipment and sterilizing my fermenter. I started with the mashing in. Now since my first post was around my mash tun temperatures, I noted that I mashed in at 70degC and was aiming for 68degC. For a first timer I decided to leave it as such and was probably as close as I would get it. At the 30min mash time, I gave it a quick stir and check my temperature, which now was at 66degC. Losing those 4degC is most likely due to the quality of my cooler box. I will probably replace it once found my stride with my set-up.

Here is pictures of me in my Mash step:

IMG_20180702_093119a.jpg

IMG_20180702_104630a.jpg

After this, I started the mashing out step and followed to slowly let the liquid (is this were we start to call it wort?) drain out allowing the grain bed to settle and act as a filter to get a clear running. Unfortunately I failed to take a temp reading - sorry!!!:

IMG_20180702_105719a.jpg

IMG_20180702_104827a.jpg

IMG_20180702_105117a.jpg

Ok, so this is were things started to get interesting and throwing me a few (or maby more than a few) curve balls. First of all, I do not have Beersmith yet and used an free App on the Play Store as a guide with building my recipe, which I now believe is not really helpful. Let me explain:
    I mashed in with around 13L of water and was supposed to do two batch sparges of 6L each giving me a pre-boil volume of just below 26L. The app failed to prompt me and I also failed to take note of the grains ability to absorb water that is basically not coming out. As I made this fascinating discovery, I decided to do a third sparge with another 6L water batch, helping me to get to my target pre-boil volume. Let me also explain that I did not had enough sparge water prepared and had to borrow the wife's kettle to get some more hot water as I was in the process of filling my urn which is also my only source of heating liquid. Here you can see me getting close to my final volume:

IMG_20180702_115803a.jpg

After I was done with the mashing out, I took my pre-boil sample to check my gravity. Apparently was looking for 1.046, and at the time of the picture it read 1.044. After letting it stand a bit longer it went to 1.046 but unfortunately did not take a photo:

IMG_20180702_130133a.jpg
    So now the time was around 12:00 and I was really getting exited on the progress of the day and with no major set-backs but I spoke too soon

I proceed to use this opportunity to also insert my wort chiller into the urn to spend the entire boil in the urn, I switched on the urn and away we go. As we approached the boil, I suddenly hear my urn going silent. What the hell!!! I smacked the plug, viciously flicked the self installed power switch on the urn a couple of times....nothing. What now? This was really not the best time for my urn to play tricks on me. I boiled numerous dry batches (water only) and had no issues in preparation for this day. How the hell do I get to the element to inspect the cause when it is filled with that liquid gold? Only idea I could come up with was to transfer my wort into and additional cooler I had that was used to store my strike water in. May I add that the wort splashed somewhat and probably introduced some oxygen into the wort. Really hope this will not be an issue.

Ok, so now my urn is empty and am I able to inspect my wiring. Found a terminal somehow came lose from the switch. I decided to not take any further risks and bypassed the switch completely. Flicked the urn back upright and poured my wort back into, splashing again. I switch the urn back on and we are back on-line. YES!!! Feeling somewhat anxious over what just happened I proceeded to continue monitoring the soon to be boil waiting for that protein break.

You guys wont believe me, but the element starts to act up again. You can hear the element switching on for maybe a minute, then you hear a click sound and then its dead. Few seconds later, that click sound can be heard again and the element goes again. I am not even boiling at this stage. As frustrated as hell I slam the garage door behind me and had to go outside to think about what to do. I decided the only way to save my day was to go and get a new element for the urn and replace it. (I want to add the the element giving me grief was also a new one I installed when I found the urn in the garage) I got back and again transferred the wort back into the cooler. When it was empty I replaced the element and poured my wort back into my urn. I literally had to man-handle my beer to get that urn back on-line and really hope that it will be fine. The fact that I still had to boil my wort, I kept on telling myself that I would eliminate any possible contamination in the boil. I am however not sure if all the pouring and splashing would cause other issues.

Time is now 14:00 and finally I get the urn going again and that much anticipated boil I was working so hard for appeared at 14:30. Trying to control the boil over was really tricky, but managed to keep it under control:

IMG_20180702_143057a.jpg

Another picture after the first hop addition. May I add that my garage was really starting to fill up with a lovely aroma:

IMG_20180702_150955a.jpg

One hour later and I switched the urn off with no further issue during the boil and me being very thankful. Let the cooling down commence:

IMG_20180702_150944a.jpg

I was really getting close to calling it a day with the time now standing toward 16:45, the sun was getting low, I am tired as hell and POOF, by garage lights went dead. I am really starting to wonder at this point what else could go wrong. Luckily I was close to getting done with the cooling and decided I will take a a look at my lights the next day. The cooling coil made a good job at cooling the wort down and at around 35degC, I decided to transfer the wort to the fermenter and move my operation to the kitchen. Seeing that the fermenter was already cold and stood most of the day with sanitizing solution in it, I figured it would assist in getting the wort to pitching temp. The whole day with all the trouble I had for only that amount of potential beer:

IMG_20180702_164034a.jpg

IMG_20180702_164829a.jpg

So here I am busy re-hydrating my yeast as I understand that the yeast performs better this way. I used 110ml water that was boiled and cooled down to around 30-35degC, sprinkled the yeast over and left it for 15min, stirred it and left it for another 5min before I pitched it to my beer wort. I failed to check my wort temperature here, but after the day I just had, I really just hoped for the best

Lastly at around 17:30, I was ready to tuck my fermemter in and hoping that science would take over from here:

IMG_20180702_172811a.jpg

This experience was indeed a baptism by fire and really do hope that the next round will be more trouble free. As I am writing this, I am yet to see action from my bubbler when I check in on it from time to time. I did remove my bubbler this morning and removed some of the water inside it. When I peeped into the fermemter, it did seem to be doing something, so please wish me luck

My recipe was as follows (American Pale Ale):
    3.5kg Pale malt
    800g Vienna
    300g Caramunich II
    20g Centennial hop @ 60min
    Irish Moss @ 15min
    10g Centennial hop @ 10min
    10g Cascade hop @10min
    Boil for 60min
    Batch size 16-17L

Not sure I nailed the recipe as my wort was looking a bit dark for the style I was aiming for?

Planning to ferment for about two weeks and will post an update on my final S.G to see if any fermentation took place. Really not keen on chucking all that effort down the drain.
    Any and all comments on my day will be appreciated and I am really hoping the next brewday will be easier.

Cheers
    Last edited by Tones17; 3 July 2018, 20:09.

The pouring and splashing of the wort pre-fermentation isn't a bad thing - AT ALL. In fact, it's actually good for the yeast, specially after the cooling, since the boil drives off any oxygen in the wort.

All in all, it sounds like you got a great introduction to how things can go, but in the end it looks like your process was good. You'll end up with a good beer!

As a PS: What was your pre-pitch gravity reading? From the above it seems like the gravity of the wort was 1.046 pre-boil, but you didn't take a post boil reading? Remember the gravity will increase as the water is boiled off, so that might explain why your wort is darker than expected.

Comment

Unfortunately I did not take a pre-pitch s.g reading. Will definitely include this in my to-do list for the next brew.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Tones17 View Post
        Unfortunately I did not take a pre-pitch s.g reading. Will definitely include this in my to-do list for the next brew.

Do you have the pre-boil and post-boil volumes in litres? You might be able to calculate an estimated gravity then, since you will have no idea what your beer's alcohol content will be otherwise. And yes, that explains why it's so much darker than the aimed colour. I would go so far as to say you can add more water to the fermenter to water it down, and get more beer in the end, but hold off on doing that until we get more info.

Comment

WoW, what a hectic brewday, but Im sure the beer will turn out perfect and the next brew will go much easier ....

Sounds like you did everything to the best you could and I cant fault you on any process you followed.

I'm just surprised so little wort made it into the fermenter? ... must have been a vigorous boil loosing that much liquid? (judging from the pictures, it was)

PS: Love that SSS "Boksie" in the background
          The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

I had a pre-boil volume of just below 26L, was aiming for about 25.8 and my evaporation rate is about 3.5 to 4L per hour, therefore expecting a volume of about 22L

Last edited by Tones17; 4 July 2018, 11:48.

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
              WoW, what a hectic brewday, but Im sure the beer will turn out perfect and the next brew will go much easier ....

Sounds like you did everything to the best you could and I cant fault you on any process you followed.

I'm just surprised so little wort made it into the fermenter? ... must have been a vigorous boil loosing that much liquid? (judging from the pictures, it was)

PS: Love that SSS "Boksie" in the background [emoji106]
              I was also surprised about my fermenter volume. I was supposed to have a kettle loss of around 2L. I expected to see around 19L at least. Will have to investigate what happend. Could the boil off of wort be higher than that of just plain water?

That SSS is part of the family, really love it to bits. Thanks

Comment

It seems like you boiled off WAY too much water from your wort. I would top up the fermenter to the ~22l mark with clean, fresh water (like RO water), or you are going to end up with a super-strong beer. 1.064 will push you toward 5% ABV in your final product, and if you halved the volume of water (which it looks like you did), you can double that. It's going to be strong and might even need a lot of aging to get back, and it's generally not good for yeast to be pitched in such a high gravity wort without some "support" (like oxygen and feeding).

Comment

Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
                  It seems like you boiled off WAY too much water from your wort. I would top up the fermenter to the ~22l mark with clean, fresh water (like RO water), or you are going to end up with a super-strong beer. 1.064 will push you toward 5% ABV in your final product, and if you halved the volume of water (which it looks like you did), you can double that. It's going to be strong and might even need a lot of aging to get back, and it's generally not good for yeast to be pitched in such a high gravity wort without some "support" (like oxygen and feeding).
                  Thanks for the advice. Do you recommend me adding the water now or should I add it at a later time?

Comment

Originally posted by Tones17 View Post
                    Thanks for the advice. Do you recommend me adding the water now or should I add it at a later time?

I have no idea. I would rather ask someone more experienced for the advice. I'm honestly not even sure if you can add more water at this stage?

Comment

Thinking of maybe just letting it finish its thing. Guess this is part of trail and error and gaining experience. As long as its drinkable, I guess I'll be fine. Will absolutely have clean water ready for my next batch to water it down a bit when I check my s.g before pitching. Should maybe consider putting my hydrometer in the fermenter to see where I am as a guideline and leave it in there for the entire fermentation.

Started to notice some bubbling action this morning. Was really glad to see some action[emoji16]

Comment

My 2 cents : You had 25 you lost 4 in the boil = 21 also lost at least 4 % by cooling 21-1 = 20 - 2 trub in the kettle = 18 in the fermenter.

How mush wort do you have in the fermenter? This will help to determine the OG accurately. OG will have a big influence on how much water to add if you want to dilute your beer.
                        I have diluted and blended beer a few times and would recommend doing it asap after pitching yeast before peak fermentation.

Then again leave its as is, your beer will be fine.

ps. Well done on your 1st all grain beer. I enjoyed reading your story about your brew day some mistakes was oddly familiar. Oh yes, you can't brew proper beer without something pink in the brew house, you sir are sorted
                        Harhm
                        Last edited by Harhm; 4 July 2018, 13:04.
                        2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

Originally posted by Harhm View Post
                          My 2 cents : You had 25 you lost 4 in the boil = 21 also lost at least 4 % by cooling 21-1 = 20 - 2 trub in the kettle = 18 in the fermenter.

How mush wort do you have in the fermenter? This will help to determine the OG accurately. OG will have a big influence on how much water to add if you want to dilute your beer.
                          I have diluted and blended beer a few times and would recommend doing it asap after pitching yeast before peak fermentation.

Then again leave its as is, your beer will be fine.

ps. Well done on your 1st all grain beer. I enjoyed reading your story about your brew day [emoji38] some mistakes was oddly familiar. Oh yes, you can't brew proper beer without something pink in the brew house, you sir are sorted [emoji106]
                          Hahaha, thanks. Those clips was the only ones I could find in the house.[emoji23] Very handy to have them though. I now sit with 16L in the fermenter. Do you recommend I add another 2L that I sommer get from the shop?

Comment

16 l will be close to 1.070 OG
                            Dont add more than 40% water.
                            5 L water will bring you close to 1.050 @ 75% attenuation 1.012 FG around 5% abv. 100% for a APA.

Can somebody just confirm my calcs please. Im not in office and dont have full Beersmith with me. Thanks for helping guys.

You can also dilute after fermentation but I dont like the results. Yeast act different in high vs low solution concentrations.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
                            Harhm
                            Last edited by Harhm; 5 July 2018, 09:05.
                            2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

So then, for those who would be interested. Today I decided it was time to crack open my first all grain home-brew for a taste.

This beer was in the fermenter for about 10 days as I noted the final S.G was at 1.010. I proceeded with bottling and managed to get around 42 bottles from my batch. I left them them in a nice dark place covered under a blanket for a further two weeks and then this past Wednesday put a few in the fridge. These pictures was taken today:

af2a6e21-b5f8-4586-8e47-2fc4fe2975ad.jpeg

d7a44f8b-0d74-4f88-8783-1f0860a38678.jpeg

f0be33ae-7728-4fa3-b2b2-a44381f340ff.jpeg

e589187f-7ec2-451c-93cb-bfe1c3a0bfcb.jpeg

I am hoping that they would continue to clear up, but all in all, its pretty good. Compared to my first extract kit, I believe this all-grain is much more refined and easier to drink. I remember still tasting traces of yeast in the extract kit at around the same time I am having this one now.

A few things I am planning on doing differently for the next brew day is:
                              1. I got myself a little smaller element for the urn in hopes that I would reduce the boil off that I got first time around
                              2. Instead of re-hydrating the yeast, I will just sprinkle it over the wort

I want to try and find that balance over effort vs quality.

One quick question: I'm using carbonation drops for my beer. The ones I used expired 2015 (was about the last time I did an extract kit ). Since its just sugar, I did not really think it could go bad. My question is: Am I wrong? I am finding the carbonation is a bit low with almost no head retention, but then again I am not sure if this is because of me using US-05 Ale yeast. Is this acceptable?

Thanks for all the inputs and advice. Really appreciated!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X