Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fermentation chamber

Hi

I am thinking of building a fermenter chamber for cooling and heating.
    It will cater for 2 fermenters and about 100 440ml / 60 750ml bottles. Approx dimensions (1m X 0.7m X 0.7m)
    Max cost should be no more than R2000.
    Thinking of using light bulbs for heating or some type of heater / heating pad ?.
    For cooling a thermoelectric peltier refrigeration cooling kit from communica (http://www.communica.co.za/Catalog/Details/P3265877730). However this unit uses 12V. This being the case it would be simpler to have everything working from 12V.
    I see the STC-1000 temperature controller is a 220V unit.
    Anyone know of a 12V temperature controller that can control cooling and heating ?.
    Any other generel input will be welcome.

Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Originally posted by BeerHolic View Post
    Hi

It will cater for 2 fermenters and about 100 440ml / 60 750ml bottles. Approx dimensions (1m X 0.7m X 0.7m)
    Thinking of using light bulbs for heating or some type of heater / heating pad ?.
    For cooling a thermoelectric peltier refrigeration cooling kit from communica (http://www.communica.co.za/Catalog/Details/P3265877730). However this unit uses 12V. This being the case it would be simpler to have everything working from 12V.
    Anyone know of a 12V temperature controller that can control cooling and heating ?.

And old fridge or chest freezer with a controller will work better. Peltier modules are quite "meh", and more built for stuff like in-car cooler boxes and not really long-term use like you're planning.

Comment

210 liter chest freezer R1000 (Gumtree or free if you use grandma’s )
      Themostat R150

Wife’s desk lamp Free

Fermentation and lagering chamber done R1150

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

+1 ... That thermoelectric peltier kit from communica is good enough to cool a box made for a case of beers

Had a mini-fridge with one of those setups ... struggled to keep beer cold ... i'd say it made more for wine-coolers
        The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Hi

Hi Beerholic,
          My cabinet is about 500x600x700 which I use for fermentation of one 25l bucket at a time. I bolted the Peltier 'lid' from a 50w Thermo cooler box to the side of the cabinet. It does the job but in the peak for summer the unit runs almost continuously. I think the communica 60w unit would struggle with your size, especially loading in 100 warm bottles. My lamp setup however, works a charm. I actually had to hunt down a lowest possible wattage bulb as the temps would spike otherwise
          Langchop
          Last edited by Langchop; 9 July 2018, 17:21. Reason: Type apnea
          Cheers,
          Lang
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

Oh, and STC1000 is available in 12v. Most HBS just keep the 220v tho. Try bidorbuy as a starting point, but those are usually imported at your risk, albeit often cheaper.
            Cheers,
            Lang
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Another place that sells stc "like" stuff is https://za.rs-online.com/web/

Have a look!

Comment

Old freezer... brewcraft dual temp controller... 2 x reptile pads... duct tape and perfect heat or cold temp control...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Comment

^ Nice little freezer that

.... and welcome to the forums

Comment

Thanks

I agree after fiurther serearch thye peltier will not work for may size. Back to drawing board.
                    The reason for a fermentation chamber and not fredge is optimazation of space. I will only be doing ales so do not really need temps below 20 celcius.

Comment

^ dronk vingers?

Comment

A lot has changed since July.
                        Below is my new fermentation chamber. Just waiting for the wife to empty today.
                        Mybe one side a kegerator ? (still contemplating the keg route).
                        Suppose I will need a temp controller, the STC 1000 seems to be the most popular, or is there anything else that may be better ?.
                        What would be the best for heating, light bulb, heating pad ?.
                        Ha, now I think I am going to brew a lager in the near future, never done one.
                        Fridge1.jpg

Comment

Hey beer, i like a heating belt, i had a heat pad but prefer the belt. I use a mangrove jack dual temperature controller it hasn't let me down. What I normally do is put the fridge on a relatively low setting then I set the heat belt to the controller temp, i.e. fridge will cool it then belt heats it then fridge cools etc, can keep temp stable within 0.5 deg c

Comment

Thanks Tmartins

I assume you put the heat belt around the fermentor ?. If so where is the temp controllers temp sensor located ?. I must admit I am a bit confused, so on the heat belt you can set temp (never seen or used heat belt).
                            Out of interrest why do you prefer the heat belt above the heat pad ?. I was orriginally thinking of getting a heat pad. Scratched the light bulb as it takes to much space.

Comment

Scratched the light bulb as it takes to much space.

What!? How small isnt your fridge?
                              Cheers,
                              Lang
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                              X