Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@Toxxyc

https://www.kegland.com.au/60cm-ther...-included.html

The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Yeah I need to find a sealed off stainless steel tube like that. Can easily fit it semi-permanently in the lid of the fermenter, or even just slip it through the lid through a rubber grommet. Will make temp measuring a lot easier. Where do we find those, without paying an arm and a leg? I've been looking but nobody has prices.

EDIT: Hey I know copper isn't an option, but why wouldn't aluminium work?
      Toxxyc
      Last edited by Toxxyc; 29 July 2019, 13:45.

Comment

Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
        Yeah I need to find a sealed off stainless steel tube like that. Can easily fit it semi-permanently in the lid of the fermenter, or even just slip it through the lid through a rubber grommet. Will make temp measuring a lot easier. Where do we find those, without paying an arm and a leg? I've been looking but nobody has prices.

EDIT: Hey I know copper isn't an option, but why wouldn't aluminium work?
        ?? try here > http://www.thermon.co.za/catalogue/t...-in-thermowell
        The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
          I've sent a request to them, yeah. Awaiting feedback. Not TOO positive about the outcome, it seems SS thermowells easily reach the R600~R700 mark.

Comment

They do make kegs out of aluminium? Maybe the initial wort stage is chemically different to beer? I dont know but that's the only thing I could think of that might be an issue.

A cheaper simpler option to make your probe more 'thermowell-ish' is to slap a thick block of polystyrene or neoprene against the outer side of the probe and strap it against the fermenter.
            Cheers,
            Lang
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

Well so far the probe just plain taped to the fermenter as in the picture is very accurate. Seemingly within half a degree accurate, which, to me, is accurate enough. The chamber works like a charm and since slipping the fermenter in there I've had not a single change in the temperature every time I've checked (and I check a lot). It just says between 19.5 and 20.5 on the STC, and the same 20 block on the stick-on thermometer is constantly green.

Comment

I think the main differences are when you ramp up or cool down
                Cheers,
                Lang
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Yeah that'll probably take some fine tuning. However, I will pretty much just crash down to temp as low as it can go, so then I'll just set the probe to the fermenter and turn the temp down to 2, or bypass the STC altogether, since I know the fridge goes down to 2.3°C at full blast.

Comment

Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
                    ... and I've actually seen people just wrap the globe in tin foil as an even easier fix. I'm not sure how it'll affect the life of the lamp, ...
                    Just a warning to anyone who tries this: I have had a lamp in a frame for years that has worked well for me, plus it has a venting fan. I decided to put a bit of tin foil over (hey, things can only improve if the small amount of UV really does have a significant effect, right?)

Well I guess globes can't dissipate enough heat if they aren't able to radiate the light energy away efficiently: I could smell a near burning smell and in the ceramic globe holder I could see glowing red heat of the metal base of the globe. This was on just a 40W candle lightbulb.
                    Cheers,
                    Lang
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

LOL. Electric blankets are cheap man... :P

Comment

Thought this is the best place to start this conversation. I've got my reptile heating pad underneath my fermenter inside my fridge, all plugged into my STC 1000. Set to 18c. Working a charm. Like you all said. Temp controlled fermentation is where it's at.

Here's the thing though. The temp probe is held to the side of the fermenter under a kitchen sponge for insulation. Its saying 18.5C BUT the sticker on the side of the fermenter reads 20. 22.
                        Both are surface temps but I'm more inclined to believe the stc. I have to say typing this I haven't checked calibration on either so I'm going to get a glass of ice water now.

I suppose my question is have you guys seen issues with under reading on your stc s ?

I'm using the mangrove jacks plug and play version. Labeled and everything.

Sent from my SM-A750F using Tapatalk

Comment

Trust the stc, those stickers aren't that accurate, my reptile pad is suspended in the middle of the ferm fridge, with the stc probe on the other side of it on the ferm vessel

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Comment

I would also trust the STC above a strip thermometer. I think we do largely take for granted how 'patchy' fluid temps can be tho. They are probably both quite accurately measuring at the positions where they are measuring.

Case in point was this concern of mine on my last brew...
                            Screenshot_20190928_203456.jpg
                            Both inserted in the mash and probes about 4cm apart. I later tired both probes together against an analogue lab thermometer and they were all within 0.3 deg.
                            Cheers,
                            Lang
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I think consistently fermenting at the same temperature is more important than a 1°C variance though, so I wouldn't worry about it. My stick-on thermometer seems to be pretty close to my STC though, even though I don't use it at all except at pitching time anymore.

Comment

consistency is indeed the key: as long as the yeast isn't exposed to wild variations in temperature and as long the yeast babies are kept within their comfort zone, they will be happy babies

Comment

Working...
                                X