Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SA National Homebrew Competition

Who's entering this year ?

I'm entering a Lager again I might also still be able to get something hoppy brewed this week, hopefully in time for it to get a bit of conditioning while remaining fresh and flavourful.

I learned a hell of a lot last year from the score sheets and judges feedback and would suggest to anybody that want to take their beer and brewing to the next level to enter.

There is only 5 weeks left before entries close (30 Sept) and 7 weeks before judging starts (13 Oct) You can do it
    Harhm
    Last edited by Harhm; 27 August 2018, 10:09.
    2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

I'll most definitely be putting 2 entries in again this year.

Really EVERYONE - Get at least 1 beer entered. It's one of the best things a home brewer can do!

(And no - I'm not just saying that because SouthYeasters are hosting it this year!)

Comment

How does the judges feel about authentic lambic. In Afrikaans it means “vrot bier”
      Been nurturing mine for almost a year.
      Cannot wait. Also got my attempt at an imperial baltic porter. Can enter 2.
      I’m also thinking of an ipa weis “merger”

Comment

Hey guys , how does it work exactly, I prime my beer then cold crash, in a few days beers become crystal clear, do you send in bottles or what, cause handling will unsettle the yeast.

Comment

Last year we sent in 6 bottles per entry (330 or 440) Labels for each entry was numbered and available for download and printing from the competition website, just completed and attached the labels to each bottle and shipped it to JHB or CT. Some provinces beers went to CT and other provinces to JHB for 1st round judging. Im sure Jaco (AtronSeige) or organisers will have more info regarding how the regions are determined.

The entries 30 Sept and delivery close 1 Oct. The beers are then kept in fridge for 2 weeks to settle before 1st round judging 13 Oct. The beers going trough to the next round would then be shipped by the organisers to the hosting region (CT) for the final rounds of judging starting 27 Oct. Allowing another week or 2 before the final judging.

The judges are very aware that most beers are bottle carbonated and will allow for that in their overall or apearance scores and comments. Last year my beers went from Kim to JHB to CT and then back to JHB without any negative scores regarding appearance,so no real need to worry.

Have a look at the score sheets for more info. The great thing about entering a beer is that you recieve multiple scoresheets from for each round (some with comprehensive comments and advice on how to improve your beer)

https://www.google.co.za/url?sa=t&so...EZVr4Uvex1lNNj

Sent from my SM-T561 using Tapatalk
          Harhm
          Last edited by Harhm; 27 August 2018, 21:54.
          2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

Originally posted by Tmartins View Post
            Hey guys , how does it work exactly, I prime my beer then cold crash, in a few days beers become crystal clear, do you send in bottles or what, cause handling will unsettle the yeast.
            That is the reason why you are to get your beer to the judging center 2 weeks before judging. This will allow the beer to settle and get clear.

Comment

Originally posted by CraftyZA View Post
              How does the judges feel about authentic lambic. In Afrikaans it means “vrot bier”
              Judges are getting more accustomed to sour beers, as those are making their way into our market.

And technically all beers are "vrot", as fermentation is basically controlled spoilage

Comment

I have one entry so far, but I need to get more. I have one that is ready - just needs to be tasted to get the style 100% correct, and I will probably be bottling a few of my current brews just to get feedback

Comment

I note from the website that previous winners are shown as 'Bob from XXXXXX breweries'....

Is this for homebrewers AND commercial craft breweries?
                  Cheers,
                  Lang
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

Originally posted by Langchop View Post
                    I note from the website that previous winners are shown as 'Bob from XXXXXX breweries'....

I think most guys are home brewers any way, its just looks cool to be Bob from XXX Brewery than Bob from None There is a National

From the https://www.nationalhomebrew.co.za/ website home page:

The competition is open to any brewer in South Africa as long as the beer they enter is brewed on a homebrew system and not in a commercial environment.

There is a annual competition for the Big Boys but they are welcome to enter

Comment

I think most/all guys are home brewers any way, its just cool to be Bob from XXXXXX Brewery rather than Bob from None

From the https://www.nationalhomebrew.co.za/ website home page:

The competition is open to any brewer in South Africa as long as the beer they enter is brewed on a homebrew system and not in a commercial environment.

There is a annual competition for the Big Boys (SA National Beer Trophy) SANBT but they are welcome to enter SANHC
                      Harhm
                      Last edited by Harhm; 28 August 2018, 12:17.

Comment

. Got it.

Langchop Brewing Co. won't be able to enter anything this year but may be a nice option for next year to get some pro feed back.
                        Cheers,
                        Lang
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

[emoji106]. Got it.

Langchop Brewing Co. won't be able to enter anything this year but may be a nice option for next year to get some pro feed back.
                          Langchop Brewing Co. Has a nice ring to it, its a nice segue into some interesting beer names.

Sent from my SM-T561 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Harhm View Post
                            Who's entering this year ?

I'm entering a Lager again I might also still be able to get something hoppy brewed this week, hopefully in time for it to get a bit of conditioning while remaining fresh and flavourful.

I learned a hell of a lot last year from the score sheets and judges feedback and would suggest to anybody that want to take their beer and brewing to the next level to enter.

There is only 5 weeks left before entries close (30 Sept) and 7 weeks before judging starts (13 Oct) You can do it
                            Im entering a baltic porter

Comment

Originally posted by Harhm View Post
                              There is a annual competition for the Big Boys (SA National Beer Trophy) SANBT but they are welcome to enter SANHC
                              The 2018 results of SA National Beer Trophy Interesting to see that they have changed the minimum score for a Silver medal from 38/50 to 39/50. Even more interesting is a Goldmedal awarded to ABinBEV for Castle Light

Comment

Working...
                              X