Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Affordable Malt Roller Mills + Bottle Holders/Carriers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You could look at an external reduction drive sprocket set that you bolt onto the end of your main shaft and then allows the addition of a drill?

Two bicycle sprockets, short length of chain, in a housing?

Comment

A flexible coupler is not well suited to parallel misalignment because it has to bend in two places, it is really only suited to angular misalignment.

Try an Oldham coupler. Great for even massive misalignments of your motor vs mill shaft.

I built one to couple a gate motor to my mill. The gate motor runs off 12v and has a built in worm drive so I get a really slow rotation with plenty of torque.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
      atunguyd
      Last edited by atunguyd; 2 June 2019, 23:13.

Comment

Spider drive connector?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Comment

If directly handholding the drill you probably dont really need flexibility in the coupling at all (As long as misalignment is not excessive and you can buffer it with your grip)

The coupler I toyed with was functionally similar to your oldham coupler atunguyd, but probably pointless unless fastening a motor/ drill in place.

Jakes, the tricky bit with chains/ belts versus gears is that it keeps the turning direction the same, so a drill in a setup similar to my vid would have to be 'in the air' and not above the bucket and doesnt work so well for a 'self contained' unit. Might be worth doing a chain and sprocket kit as a parts kit where the person could then connect the motor/ drill up as they like to their stand/ table/ cabinet etc?
          Langchop
          Last edited by Langchop; 4 June 2019, 10:34.
          Cheers,
          Lang
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

Agreed no point in anything other than a rigid coupler if you are going hand held.

But then at 150rpm milling takes a small while and there are better things to do than hold the drill (I also found my hand held drill does not like long usages like this ad it got very hot).

And also it is much cooler to have a built in motor on your mill [emoji3]

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Langchop View Post

Might be worth doing a chain and sprocket kit as a parts kit where the person could then connect the motor/ drill up as they like to their stand/ table/ cabinet etc?
              Yes, that was my idea, a separate item that uses a UJ and you fasten the UJ to the end of the shaft.

Comment

Originally posted by jakeslouw View Post
                Yes, that was my idea, a separate item that uses a UJ and you fasten the UJ to the end of the shaft.
                I think we are both visualising this differently?. With sprockets you should be able to get away from using UJ's if you hold the drive sprocket directly in the drill chuck and mount the drill. A shafted drive sprocket between two bearing bosses would be a very different story though, but add quite a bit to cost. Then you could have a UJ attached to that shaft.
                Cheers,
                Lang
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Langchop View Post
                  I think we are both visualising this differently?. With sprockets you should be able to get away from using UJ's if you hold the drive sprocket directly in the drill chuck and mount the drill. A shafted drive sprocket between two bearing bosses would be a very different story though, but add quite a bit to cost. Then you could have a UJ attached to that shaft.
                  yes I think very differently

I was thinking a pressed steel housing, containing two sprockets running on a pair of bearing shafts joined by a length of chain

the drill would attached rigidly on the power input shaft and then the power output shaft to the mill would have a UJ so that you don't need perfect alignment between the output shaft and the mill drive shaft

Comment

Ahh okay I am with you now. Would be cool, but I think it lands up needing lots of parts and being heavy and expensive. I will look into options like that too tho.
                    Cheers,
                    Lang
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Please keep it cheap ... that's the only reason I don't own one yet, as just about ALL the other makes out there are way overpriced .... that's why i also wondered about the drill direct to mill shaft like many a homebrewer from across the pond are doing ... wouldn't that be the cheapest option ? ... they recon the cordless drills are better, with less speed and more torque

Something "straightforward" like this

The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Reviving a dead thread... did anything come of this? any updates?

Comment

As per the website, some of the stuff is still in development ....

http://www.ginormity.com/menace/

Hope its ok Im posting the link? ... I see you removed it from your signature?

@Langchop
                          The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

was also looking at it, new stock coming soon I see on FB.

Comment

Jigsaw, I was sent to the headmasters office for having link in my signature . I added it there when you guys were wanting to see pics and updates, and forgot it there. So nothing untoward.

Honestly, my original goal was to get a mill for under R1k. That wasn't as possible as I thought, but I thought the final outcome was pretty okay anyway.
                              Cheers,
                              Lang
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

So is the beer lab grain mill at R975 the most affordable way to go?

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X