Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Affordable Malt Roller Mills + Bottle Holders/Carriers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by billionairebum View Post
    .. testers.
    Was actually my plan. Didnt actually realise you were in my 'hood. Maybe you just changed it now on your profile and you're fibbing
    Cheers,
    Lang
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

Originally posted by Langchop View Post
      Was actually my plan. Didnt actually realise you were in my 'hood. Maybe you just changed it now on your profile and you're fibbing
      Hahahaha yes I did change it but I do stay in Northriding around Bellairs Drive.
      "Well, I suppose if I’m being honest, there were a few times in the past where I admit I did have a drinking problem,

But I can truthfully say that I’ve become more responsible since then,

and today I always make sure that I have enough beer around so that I’ll never have a problem drinking again."

Comment

I could do with one of those drill drive gearing setups! Haven’t figured out best way of motorizing my mill yet, and I like the look of this!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by billionairebum View Post
          Hahahaha yes I did change it but I do stay in Northriding around Bellairs Drive.
          Hey awesome, didnt know I had a nearby fellow homebrewer. I am in Bellairs Dr. If you are ever keen on a joint brew day drop a PM
          Cheers,
          Lang
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by nOzwald View Post
            I could do with one of those drill drive gearing setups! Haven’t figured out best way of motorizing my mill yet, and I like the look of this!!!

Will let you know how it turns out. This is a hack job experiment that is not exactly safe with the small drive gear running at 2800rpm. [trying to avoid drill running at partial speeds for extended periods, which can overheat the windings, and a full drill seems to be a more affordable drive than any simple motor].
            Cheers,
            Lang
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Will let you know how it turns out. This is a hack job experiment that is not exactly safe with the small drive gear running at 2800rpm. [trying to avoid drill running at partial speeds for extended periods, which can overheat the windings, and a full drill seems to be a more affordable drive than any simple motor].
              I have an old gate motor available, but I think it may even run a bit higher (3000 - 3500rpm). Was trying to figure out best way of gearing down the spead.

Comment

Okay, I am chuffed to say I am just about near finality with this mill setup.

There were some practical changes in scope and direction that had to take place:

-Focussed on just one variant for now. A second variant may be looked into at a later time
                -Will be a modular system so the base mill, hopper, crank handle, hopper extension, crank arm, mounting base, drive kit etc will be available separately so it can be built up into the overall system required, or incorporated into an existing setup.
                -Based on the roller plate type mill
                -Round hopper scrapped and replaced with a much larger rectangular type hopper.
                -A hopper extension available which doubles the hopper capacity (still testing this)
                -Improved the way to attach the hopper to the mill body more rigidly
                -A drill drive kit is likely to be available to drive a mill with a power drill (still testing this)

Screenshot_20190528_173050.jpg.
                Screenshot_20190528_173438.jpg

Main features of the mill:

-All parts zinc plate corrosion protected
                -Fluted roller of draw hardened 080M40 steel
                -Adjustable gap mill plate
                -Single mill gap adjusting screw
                -2 sealed roller ball bearings
                -Grain barrier prevents unmilled grain bypassing around the outside of the roller.

I currently have 5 units being manufactured and expected to be available around mid June.
                Current cost for a complete manual setup (base mill + hopper + manual crank handle) would be under R2k.

And now its finally time for me to get planning a long overdue brew!
                Langchop
                Last edited by Langchop; 29 May 2019, 09:28. Reason: wierd, I cant stop lists becoming paragraphs
                Cheers,
                Lang
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Okay, I am chuffed to say I am just about near finality with this mill setup.
                  Looks good!

Comment

Agreed, looks very well made! Good job!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Comment

WoW, that looks great.

Keeps us updated on the drill drive kit ... is it just a socket/adapter from crank handle thread to drill chuck?

Chuck.jpg

or something completely different?
                      The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                        WoW, that looks great.

Keeps us updated on the drill drive kit ... is it just a socket/adapter from crank handle thread to drill chuck?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1958[/ATTACH]

or something completely different?

No, its an offset geardrive I am playing around with like in this video, so the speed can be better regulated, and increased torque:

https://youtu.be/WOSdknYnECI
                        Langchop
                        Last edited by Langchop; 29 May 2019, 09:30.
                        Cheers,
                        Lang
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

It's looking pretty awesome Langchop. Unfortunately have mill already else I could have been a customer. In my opinion the drill attachment option is fairly critical so all the best with figuring that out.

Comment

No, its an offset geardrive I am playing around with like in this video, so the speed can be better regulated, and increased torque:

https://youtu.be/WOSdknYnECI
                            Aah ok, noted.

In the video with that setup, the roller is turning anti-clockwise with the big wheel ... can a normal drill with speed control actually be connected to the front which will mean the roller turns clockwise??
                            Something like this >

For a right-handed person using the "manual crank handle", the roller would also have to turn clockwise ...correct?

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                              Aah ok, noted.

In the video with that setup, the roller is turning anti-clockwise with the big wheel ... can a normal drill with speed control actually be connected to the front which will mean the roller turns clockwise??
                              Something like this >

For a right-handed person using the "manual crank handle", the roller would also have to turn clockwise ...correct?
                              You Sir, are very observant!!

Its a video from some time ago: The bending guys bent the parts for this mill the wrong way, so in order to use it for testing I just built it up as a mirror image of how it is meant to be. You will see the drill is also going in reverse direction. The actual mills are cranked clockwise like in your video.

In your video, the issues the guy is having at low speed is also the main reason I opted for the geared system. Power drills will tend to 'jolt' and have very limited torque at low speeds, if electronically controlled like most are. I have done quite a bit of digging info on milling speeds, and the general consensus seems to be an absolute max of about 350rpm, otherwise mill quality gets quite erratic.

The thread on the drive is M12, so would probably just fit into a 13mm chuck, but the D profile might make the shaft eccentric relative to the drill.

Thanks for the useful feedback Jigsaw, it really does give me insight into peoples perceptions. I may resurrect a 'flexible' coupler that I played around with in the beginning. I have also been looking into a simple geared setup for people who prefer to just 'stick a drill on', but for down the line.
                              Cheers,
                              Lang
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Ok that makes sense. Thanks for the feedback

Comment

Working...
                                X