Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mangrove Jack's strawberry & pear cider

Hi All.

As stated in the other thread the raspberry & lime cider from mangrove Jack's was a hit so im brewing this one for 'my wife'
    Popped it into the fermenter yesterday using the supplied yeast. M02. It started at 22C. I cooled it down in my very high tech evaporative cooling system(fermenter in water bucket with a fan) to 16C
    Saw it was going to be a cold night and switched it off. Found it at 10C this morning, left it off and it was at 18C when i got home today. No activity yet. The yeast said 12-28C. Im trying to keep it as low and stable as my fancy system allows. Would the yeast still work at say 8C?

Thinking of doing a hard ginger beer with the leftover sweetener. Since 'my wife' prefers a dry cider.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Yeah that's a bit cold. I'm going to say anything under 20°C might see the fermentation slow down to a crawl or even stall completely, and the yeast may or may not give off unwanted flavours. I fermented mine at 20°C ~ 22°C for about 6 days and it was done. I wouldn't let it go much colder than the recommended temperatures, to be honest.

Comment

O forgot to mention.
      Hydrometer reading 1.051
      So should be 7% before priming
      7.5% at the end is quite strong.
      I did add1kg of dextrose.

Thanks Toxic. Ill have to heat it up a bit then since there was still no bubbles this morning.

Comment

Remember 7% is granted it ferments completely dry. It probably won't go that far and will probably stop at around 1.010~1.012, giving you an ABV of around 5%~5.5%, which is more like it. Just make sure it's stable before you bottle.

Comment

How did you get to 7 %
          The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

The hydrometer has different gauges, one is gravity and another is alc %. I never measured the first cider but that thing put me out quick! So i believed the 7% without doing a calc. 1051 -1011 = 4% plus prime 4.5% this seems a bit low to be honest but ill only know once its hit FG but even then 5% max. Im still to cold so no bubbles yet today is hotter im anticipating activity today.

Comment

Originally posted by jannieverjaar View Post
              The hydrometer has different gauges, one is gravity and another is alc %. I never measured the first cider but that thing put me out quick! So i believed the 7% without doing a calc. 1051 -1011 = 4% plus prime 4.5% this seems a bit low to be honest but ill only know once its hit FG but even then 5% max. Im still to cold so no bubbles yet today is hotter im anticipating activity today.

Put the fermenter in a cooler box with a 2l bottle of hot water and cover it with a towel. It'll warm up quick.

Comment

Left the fan off today. Temp increased to 18. And bubbling has commenced! Will restart the cooling process tomorrow morning. Since its supposed to hit 30 + outside

Comment

Bottled! Got home early today and decided to go for it. Bubbles have been quiet for about 5 days. Checked and got an fg of 1.006. Nice and low. Got almost all the cider out. Very solid yeast bead so I could get it all the cider isn't clear though. Will clear over a few weeks im sure.

Now my random small question.
                  Please educate me. If i use an online calculator i get 6% 1051og and 1006fg.
                  If according to my math i get 5% so i think my formula is wrong. How do you calculate?

Jannieverjaarkoeldrank

Comment

(OG - FG) * 131.25 = 5.9%

If bottle conditioning ... 5.9 + ±0.5 = 6.4%

Online Calculator > https://www.homebrewsupply.com/abv-calculator
                    JIGSAW
                    Last edited by JIGSAW; 23 September 2018, 10:39.
                    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Thanks jigsaw. Would be nice to understand where the 131 conversation factor comes from but now the calc works. So im happy. Just waiting out the bottle conditioning...............

Jannieverjaarkoeldrank

Comment

I completely forgot to update this. I have to say that there is a good reason for it though. After the 2 weeks of bottle conditioning it was HORRIBLE! The pear gave a sour garbage dump quality to the finish. I wasn't impressed at all! Then I just let it sit until this week my brother asked about it.
                        The pear is still there but way in the background now. Its still not something I would buy 6pacs of but its drinkable.
                        I've got over 30 left that should be enough so I can give you a 6 month update.
                        I don't even consider them homebrews at this point but they are not bad enough to just throw out .
                        Looks great though.
                        Bottle priming let this one down though

Cheers
                        Jannieverjaarkoeldrank

Sent from my SM-A750F using Tapatalk

Comment

If it's any consolation, I also turfed a fair amount of mangrove Jack's raspberry and lime cider. Blame the deadish sulphur farting yeast that came with the kit. Will not buy again.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Comment

I can go with blaming the yeast but I'll add the pear flavor to my list. Had 2 of these today with my potjie really isn't un drinkable but a Windhoek would have been better.

For anyone looking for a cider to brew.
                            STAY AWAY from this MJ pear what what.

Sent from my SM-A750F using Tapatalk

Comment

Cheaper and tastier to buy 20l of liquifruit and pitching safale 04

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X