Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kveik liquid yeast in SA

Hi all,

Anyone know if Kveik is available in SA?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
    Hi all,

Anyone know if Kveik is available in SA?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    This seems to be the only thread on this forum that deals specifically with Kveik? I presume you managed to get a hold of some since your post in November. I think it's worth having a dedicated thread for this. Kveik got a lot of airtime in 2018 and homebrewers need to brew with it before we can establish how it can fit in with our arsenal of strains. I suspect craft brewers will also be more comfortable brewing Kveik if homebrewers have paved the way a little.

Comment

Hi,

I'm not big on the detail of this one, but check out Liquid Culture. (www.liquidculture.co.za)
      Specifically strain LC018 Kviek Ragnarok.

You can buy direct, BrewKegTap are distributing and they are planning rollout to other LHBS in 2019. (Met them at AfricaBrew a couple of months back - I've just brewed with their NEIPA yeast which was exceptional).

Cheers,
      Cameron.

Comment

Hi Guys
        For those looking for a Kveik yeast strain, please send us a email or reply to this thread, should we have sufficient interest we will look at have a special batch made up sooner rather than later.
        info@brewkegtap.co.za
        Why bottle? Kegit

Comment

Hi, yes I am interested!
          "Well, I suppose if I’m being honest, there were a few times in the past where I admit I did have a drinking problem,

But I can truthfully say that I’ve become more responsible since then,

and today I always make sure that I have enough beer around so that I’ll never have a problem drinking again."

Comment

Still interested, I did import some, but will happily get some more

Comment

Might give it a go also ....

PS: Any dried versions available in SA ?

Slightly off topic : Back in the 1940/50/60's my dad and granddad used something like Kveik on the farm ... they made bread, beer, mampoer, you name it from this yeast. the wet yeast then gets scooped into cheese cloth and hung in a tree to dry till next use ... amazing how yeast was treated back in the day
              The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

If you were in cape town...

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                  Might give it a go also ....

PS: Any dried versions available in SA ?

Slightly off topic : Back in the 1940/50/60's my dad and granddad used something like Kveik on the farm ... they made bread, beer, mampoer, you name it from this yeast. the wet yeast then gets scooped into cheese cloth and hung in a tree to dry till next use ... amazing how yeast was treated back in the day [emoji38]
                  Same here, my granddad and uncle also made mampoer, I remember them drying the yeast in the oven with the door open like granma would dry the rusks. I think they poored the yeast onto brown paper in a shalow baking try.

Im also looking for some Kveik, have not deside maybe Sigmund-Gjernes from Voss or Ebbegarden from Stordal or both.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
                  Harhm
                  Last edited by Harhm; 11 January 2019, 15:17.
                  2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

https://www.brewkegtap.co.za/online-...Jhb-p129413674

The latest Kveik yeast just released by Liquidculture available at Brew Keg Tap

https://liquidculture.co.za/strains/..._style_strains

Harhm
                    Last edited by Harhm; 23 January 2019, 12:27.
                    2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

Originally posted by Harhm View Post
                      https://www.brewkegtap.co.za/online-...Jhb-p129413674

The latest Kveik yeast just released by Liquidculture available at Brew Keg Tap

Temperature range: 20°C to 40°C.

Sounds like the perfect summer yeast! I'm going to have to try it, and I guess the best part is you can harvest and store as much as you want!

Comment

Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
                        Temperature range: 20°C to 40°C.

Sounds like the perfect summer yeast! I'm going to have to try it, and I guess the best part is you can harvest and store as much as you want!
                        Also good for impatient people . Not that im implying anything
                        Cheers,
                        Lang
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

Originally posted by Langchop View Post
                          Also good for impatient people . Not that im implying anything
                          I'm not impatient, I just hate waiting for anything...

Comment

Ordered some fresh yeasts last night. Good to have some gen-0 up the sleeve. To keep it at high temp, I installed an aquarium heater in the vessel, drill the lid and feed through the electrical cable secured with a rubber gasket. I run my little 50W at max temp ~36C but 34C on the thermal label. Dead keen to hear your thoughts on this beasty yeastie !

Comment

My Ragnarok Kveik is on its way. Ramped my fermentation fridge temp up to 40 last night, im good to go Ideally I would like to do a split batch of one of my house beers, have not decided.
                              Harhm
                              Last edited by Harhm; 23 January 2019, 16:50.

Comment

Working...
                              X