Kveik liquid yeast in SA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for sharing Harhm.

I haven't posted any results as promised as I only got around to bottling the Kveik last thursday. Things got a bit rough before my wedding and I simply didn't manage to get around to it so the Kveik was lagering in fermenter for almost two months prior to bottling. Comparison with the US-05 will not be possible unfortunately.

Will give it a bit more time to carbonate and give my opinions. At bottling, it came through quite dry, with a soft fruity flavour/aroma. Gave me enough of an idea of what the yeast is all about and how I might be able to use it going forward.

Saved the yeast though so hope to do more experimentation with it still this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Harhm View Post
      http://brulosophy.com/2019/04/08/fer...iment-results/

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk
      Interesting to see that they fermented as low as 18 and from the group, many preferred the lower temperature than the higher temperature.

Comment

One of the channels Im subscribed to on YT also posted this informative video a few days ago ...

This video is all about the magic yeast known as kveik.
        This yeast ferments super fast and makes beer taste great very quickly also.
        I have spent much time speaking with the leading Kveik experts in preparing this informational video.
        There is much within the video that is not commonly known at this point that really needs to be understood by brewers that are using it and considering to use it.

EDIT: The GF brewers might also like some of his videos covering that unit.
        The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Herewith my thoughts on the first use of the Ragnarok Kveik strain from Liquid culture.

Kveik .jpg

So the beer came out a success. The poor head is due to my bad carbonation practices so doesn't say anything about the yeast. Though no finings was used, I am still surprised about the haze in the beer considering it was cold crashing for an extended period of time after the primary. Compared to the same beer fermented with US-05, it came out dryer, which is nice. Significant fruit flavours but it is difficult for me to tell where the flavour from the yeast ends and where the flavour from the hops (J-17 and Southern Passion) starts. The hop combination and the yeast blended very well. The fermentation tastes very clean to me. No funny or off flavours at all.

Definitely not a neutral yeast, even at the temps I fermented it at. Love the results though and will be switching from US-05 to this Kveik strain for now when brewing my house pale ale recipe. Appears to be a very user friendly yeast and I can't help but think it can be a very good yeast for new brewers without temp control, obviously better for some styles than others.

Comment

I did not cold crash this Blonde as close to 0C as I always do but just brought the temp down to 8C in my serving fridge for 2 days and bottled it as per normal. Its really good, used Magnum for bittering and Cascade with J17. After 2 weeks in the bottle its still a bit hazy. I'm fairly sure that the haze is mostly due to my process and not necessarily caused by the yeast.
            Looking down to the older posts, I see you had similar haze as my beer. Wondering if you've brewed anything further with this strain?

Comment

I've brewed a bunch of kveik ales, it does drop clear after about weeks. However, I fine for 2 days and have crystal clear beer thereafter. I have a just kegged a landlord and decided to try keg fining. Let's see how that works out.

I can easily get by with Voss and 34/70 only. I do not need to propogate the stranda too and try out my simonaitis at some point.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by The Flying Brew View Post
                Looking down to the older posts, I see you had similar haze as my beer. Wondering if you've brewed anything further with this strain?
                Thanks for the feedback Flying Brew

Have not brewed with Kveik lately but will try do it again soon. Finished brewing some strong beers for winter but 1st need to brew a Lager before Ill be back to brewing my APA or Blonde house Ales with Kveik.

Back to Kveik tasting notes: Ragnarok Kveik fermentd @ 40C with normal pitch rate gave me some nice clear citrus (orange) flavours that I dont normaly get from J17 but they go well together, adding a little cascade to the mix is always a plus for me.

Next Kveik beer will be with S.passion, again fermenting high and maybe at the same time doing a splitbatch at low temp to compare.

I would like to get my hands on some of the tropical Kveik strands - Ebbegarden and maybe not try and get it to fall clear but rather use it to brew a awesome NEIPA. Just wondering
                Harhm
                Last edited by Harhm; 2 May 2019, 19:48.
                2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

Hi Harhm, in my opinion the J17 and S-Passion combo worked quite well with Ragnarok. My dry-hops was mostly J17 though. The flavours from Ragnarok strain could work with NEIPA already but might have to get creative on ensuring there's sufficient body in the final beer.

Anyway, busy with some Belgian type beers again but look forward to playing with this strain again later in the year. Find it very convenient having access liquid strains from Liquid Culture. Really think the local guys should support them so that they can keep their doors open and broaden their range.

Comment

Call me crazy or stupid I just pitched Kveik Ragnarok in a 1.035 Lite Lager. Im fermenting it @ 12° side by side to the same wort pitched with 34/70 lager yeast
                    Harhm
                    Last edited by Harhm; 17 May 2019, 09:59.
                    2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

Call me crazy or stupid I just pitched Kveik Ragnarok in a 1.035 Lite Lager. Im fermenting it @ 12° side by side to the same wort pitched with 34/70 lager yeast
                      Looking forward to these results!

I've heard reports of Kveik strains sometimes not liking low gravity worts but really don't know whether to place any value on that. Wondering if you might get too high attenuation but who knows @ 12C.

At least you should have results pretty darn soon.

Comment

Hi Harhm, how did the fermentation go at 12 degrees C?
                        The Flying Brew
                        Last edited by The Flying Brew; 26 May 2019, 18:02.

Comment

Originally posted by The Flying Brew View Post
                          Hi Harhm, how did the fermentation go at 12 degrees C?
                          No surprises with Kveik at 12C, it does not like the cold, it was dead in the water for 36 hours [emoji38]

Kveik @ 36 hours

34/70 @ 36 hours (side by side to Kveik)

I moved it to my 22C chamber and left it there for 6 hours to slowly raise the temp and pitched a Kveik starter @ 42 hours around 48 hours it had a 1/2 inch Krausen

No problems with the low OG 1.035 It finished in 5 days. Its at 4C now, hoping to bottle early this week.
                          Harhm
                          Last edited by Harhm; 27 May 2019, 13:00.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. Think I'll keep it where I had it between the 23 and 26 mark.

Comment

Life's a peach with Voss. My rye ale is merrily bubbling away in my ferm vessel with a heater set to 26c. Whilst my Pils is doing it's thing in the ferm fridge - been a while since I fermented outside of the fermfridge, pleasant aroma and sound coming from the blow off tube, and yes I didn't plan it properly hence the outside of the fermfridge, kinda forgot about the Pilsner...

Gjearnes Voss (locally known as ragnarok/LC018) for the win!

Also Cape Town winters will ensure you dont peak over your temps

Comment

One of the last pale ales left of the first Ragnarok (kveik) brews. Doesn't look like it's interested in clearing up at all, so the turbidity is something I will expect with this strain as it looks pretty similar to the other pics on this thread. Will fine the next one as a test with gelatine. Pretty happy with it and has brought smiles to friends whom have had it. Looking forward to the next one ready for the keg. Wouldn't be scared to mash a bit higher with this strain considering it gives a pretty high attenuation. Nice dry finish but if I mashed a degree or two less, it could have become a bit watery.

Ragnarok.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X