Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

I've brewed a bunch of kveik ales, it does drop clear after about weeks. However, I fine for 2 days and have crystal clear beer thereafter. I have a just kegged a landlord and decided to try keg fining. Let's see how that works out.

I can easily get by with Voss and 34/70 only. I do not need to propogate the stranda too and try out my simonaitis at some point.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by The Flying Brew View Post
    Looking down to the older posts, I see you had similar haze as my beer. Wondering if you've brewed anything further with this strain?
    Thanks for the feedback Flying Brew

Have not brewed with Kveik lately but will try do it again soon. Finished brewing some strong beers for winter but 1st need to brew a Lager before Ill be back to brewing my APA or Blonde house Ales with Kveik.

Back to Kveik tasting notes: Ragnarok Kveik fermentd @ 40C with normal pitch rate gave me some nice clear citrus (orange) flavours that I dont normaly get from J17 but they go well together, adding a little cascade to the mix is always a plus for me.

Next Kveik beer will be with S.passion, again fermenting high and maybe at the same time doing a splitbatch at low temp to compare.

I would like to get my hands on some of the tropical Kveik strands - Ebbegarden and maybe not try and get it to fall clear but rather use it to brew a awesome NEIPA. Just wondering
    Last edited by Harhm; 2nd May 2019 at 19:48.
    I love brewing session beers and lagersTime is on your side, never rush a beer Have fun, its only beer

Hi Harhm, in my opinion the J17 and S-Passion combo worked quite well with Ragnarok. My dry-hops was mostly J17 though. The flavours from Ragnarok strain could work with NEIPA already but might have to get creative on ensuring there's sufficient body in the final beer.

Anyway, busy with some Belgian type beers again but look forward to playing with this strain again later in the year. Find it very convenient having access liquid strains from Liquid Culture. Really think the local guys should support them so that they can keep their doors open and broaden their range.

Call me crazy or stupid I just pitched Kveik Ragnarok in a 1.035 Lite Lager. Im fermenting it @ 12 side by side to the same wort pitched with 34/70 lager yeast
    Last edited by Harhm; 17th May 2019 at 09:59.
    I love brewing session beers and lagersTime is on your side, never rush a beer Have fun, its only beer

Quote Originally Posted by Harhm View Post
    Call me crazy or stupid I just pitched Kveik Ragnarok in a 1.035 Lite Lager. Im fermenting it @ 12 side by side to the same wort pitched with 34/70 lager yeast
    Looking forward to these results!

I've heard reports of Kveik strains sometimes not liking low gravity worts but really don't know whether to place any value on that. Wondering if you might get too high attenuation but who knows @ 12C.

At least you should have results pretty darn soon.

Hi Harhm, how did the fermentation go at 12 degrees C?
    Last edited by The Flying Brew; 26th May 2019 at 18:02.

Quote Originally Posted by The Flying Brew View Post
    Hi Harhm, how did the fermentation go at 12 degrees C?
    No surprises with Kveik at 12C, it does not like the cold, it was dead in the water for 36 hours

Kveik @ 36 hours

34/70 @ 36 hours (side by side to Kveik)

I moved it to my 22C chamber and left it there for 6 hours to slowly raise the temp and pitched a Kveik starter @ 42 hours around 48 hours it had a 1/2 inch Krausen

No problems with the low OG 1.035 It finished in 5 days. Its at 4C now, hoping to bottle early this week.
    Last edited by Harhm; 27th May 2019 at 13:00.

Thanks for the feedback. Think I'll keep it where I had it between the 23 and 26 mark.

Life's a peach with Voss. My rye ale is merrily bubbling away in my ferm vessel with a heater set to 26c. Whilst my Pils is doing it's thing in the ferm fridge - been a while since I fermented outside of the fermfridge, pleasant aroma and sound coming from the blow off tube, and yes I didn't plan it properly hence the outside of the fermfridge, kinda forgot about the Pilsner...

Gjearnes Voss (locally known as ragnarok/LC018) for the win!

Also Cape Town winters will ensure you dont peak over your temps

One of the last pale ales left of the first Ragnarok (kveik) brews. Doesn't look like it's interested in clearing up at all, so the turbidity is something I will expect with this strain as it looks pretty similar to the other pics on this thread. Will fine the next one as a test with gelatine. Pretty happy with it and has brought smiles to friends whom have had it. Looking forward to the next one ready for the keg. Wouldn't be scared to mash a bit higher with this strain considering it gives a pretty high attenuation. Nice dry finish but if I mashed a degree or two less, it could have become a bit watery.

Ragnarok.jpg