No announcement yet.

Kveik liquid yeast in SA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've done Oslo, I prefer Skare for my pseudo pilsners, anyway kveik doesn't ferment simple sugars any faster than other yeast.

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Comment

• Yep. I'm not hoping to gain time, I'm hoping to get a clean fermentation at warmer temperatures. I want to see if I can ferment the same clean mead without having to keep it at 20°C for 3 weeks. I know Kveik generally is more nutrient intensive, but that's a price I'll pay with a fat smile if I can get a clean ferment at room temperature right through the year.

Comment

• Pitched my first Oslo friday. It was done this morning. 36h later! (Fermented at 30C) I set it down to 25 to clean up. Will bottle next weekend. I'll review the taste but so far its awesome. ( cant really stuff up a citra centennial blonde though! ) its going to be awesome

Sent from my SM-A750F using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
          Also got a pack with my last order just in case they get sold out .... yet to try it

Eish, somehow the post I made earlier is just gone, so here i go again

Pitched on Thursday afternoon and fermented at about ±33ºC.

It's Sunday afternoon now and she seems done. I will switch off the reptile heater now.

Now for my question:
          I forgot to do a bit of "top-crop" so would it be ok to do my usual beer-on-beer (new wort on old yeast-cake) ?
          The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
            Eish, somehow the post I made earlier is just gone, so here i go again
            Apologies for that. I've had issues with the host, and we restored the database from a copy that was made about 5 minutes before your post.
            Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Comment

• Yes just pitch beer on beer but then you need a blow off tube. Its gonna get bubbly!

Comment

• Yes, again. It'll be a slight overpitch. If you can, grab some slurry instead

Comment

• I've heard some crazy low pitch rates suggested, like one teaspoon of yeast slurry. So like groen said. " slight over pitch " .
                  which one did you get? BKT only had oslo and Ragnarok left when I ordered.

Comment

• Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
                    Yes, again. It'll be a slight overpitch. If you can, grab some slurry instead

Ok, i will scoop some over into a new fermenter

Originally posted by jannieverjaar View Post
                    I've heard some crazy low pitch rates suggested, like one teaspoon of yeast slurry. So like groen said. " slight over pitch " .
                    which one did you get? BKT only had oslo and Ragnarok left when I ordered.

Got Lallemand Voss Dry Yeast from Beerlab

LINK

Comment

• Just checked my SG. this Oslo got to 1008. 82.5% attenuation. Its Really high! And drops out well two.

Comment

• Do try running it at 25c constant for a pseudo lager, done in 7 to 10d

Comment

• Ok, so I tested my beer twice over a 24hr period and it's sitting @ 1.016 and definitely not dropping or fermenting.

I kegged today and saved some of the yeast to re-use (soon)

My main surprise was that this Lalbrew Voss only dropped to 1.016 .... Anyone else with sort of similar results ? I did mash at 68ºC tho, but BS predicted 1.012

Comment

• Does not sound right though, I haven't use Lalbrew yet, but I usually get it right down to 1.01 to the extent where I don't check FG as often anymore
                            groenspookasem
                            Banned
                            Last edited by groenspookasem; 19 May 2020, 21:41.

Comment

• I'm with groen on this the midtbust did 1010 as a rule but my mash is usually at 66 65 not 68

Comment

• Pardon my laziness but I don’t have time to read all 15 pages of the thread and didn’t want to start a new one on a subject that already exists. I have a few questions about Kveik:
                                I mostly brew ales. Which would be the best strain to get?
                                Liquid or dry?
                                I don’t have a fermentation chamber. In winter my carboy sits between 18 and 22 so I can get away with just a blanket and the occasional hot water bottle. In summer it’ll get way too hot for “normal” yeast though. Is using Kveik a “cheaper” option than a fridge with a temperature controller? I still want to buy an old fridge and turn it into a fermentation chamber but I don’t know when I’ll get that done.
                                From what I’ve read some of the Kveik strains work optimally at or above 30 degrees. Do they produce off flavours at lower temperatures or simply work slower?
                                I’m thinking of trying Kveik when it gets warmer and using a reptile heating pad to get temperature up if necessary, as a cheap alternative to “normal” yeast and a temperature controlled fridge.

Comment

Working...
                                X