No announcement yet.

Kveik liquid yeast in SA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also wondering if you did a starter with the Kveik. General suggestions that I've seen online is not to over pitch but I think those are mostly for brewers whom want to get plenty of the Kveik flavour whereas I want to get more of a restrained/neutral fermentation.

Comment

Yep it was done or very close to done fermenting after 3 days, I decided to leave it for 2 more for a total of 5 days at 40C. Next up is a cold crash for 2 days (just to see how it does with my normal cold crashing schedule) and bottle it at the end of day 7.

I didn't make a starter and also did not under pitch, I just let the yeast heat to room temp, shook it up nicely and pitched the whole vial with 200 Billion cells in 26 L at 1.040. Yes apparently the 2 ways to really let the yeast do the talking is to under pitch and to ferment at high temp.

Unfortunately I didn't have the space to do a split batch this time around, hopefully Ill do a high vs. low temp with normal pitching rates next. This is also a new Blond recipe so I don't know what to expect.

I would like to hear your feedback regarding the Kveik on a beer that you have brewed before.
      Harhm
      Last edited by Harhm; 7 February 2019, 10:00.
      2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

Hi Harhm, I'm bottling the first pale ale this weekend which was my normal US-05 ferment at 16degrees. I'll do the Kveik on the second cube (wort from the same boil that was split). And probably ferment at the lower end - around 30degreesC. Hopefully I will have time to pitch this Sunday after bottling.

The beer is fairly light for a pale ale and dry-hopped with only 26g, so it should be possible to taste the difference brought by the Kveik fairly easily.

Comment

Originally posted by The Flying Brew View Post
          Hi Harhm, I'm bottling the first pale ale this weekend which was my normal US-05 ferment at 16degrees. I'll do the Kveik on the second cube (wort from the same boil that was split). And probably ferment at the lower end - around 30degreesC. Hopefully I will have time to pitch this Sunday after bottling

The beer is fairly light for a pale ale and dry-hopped with only 26g, so it should be possible to taste the difference brought by the Kveik fairly easily.
          Perfect SO-5 vs Kveik.
          2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

Originally posted by Harhm View Post
            Perfect SO-5 vs Kveik.
            Indeed however I think the Kveik one will not be sitting in the Fermenter for 4 weeks. So there's at least a second variable at play.

Comment

I have done a few beers with voss kveik and achieved full attenuation after 1 or 2 days, all at 36C. My last brew I left for 7 days and dropped temp from 36C to around 18C after 3 days, as I felt there's no need to run at high temp for cleaning.

I also pitched fridge temp yeast into 38C wort and had a very active fermentation 2 hours later, my s-airlock is destroyed and I need to clean my fermentation fridge. Pretty much exploded out of the airlock. The first kveik beer I made, I underpitched (around 20ml) of very dubious cell counts yeast then left it 14 days to ferment out. It took a while to kick off but I have made all my batches from this little revived yeast and have successfully harvested up to near on 3l of it.

I have not yet tried the ragnarok, but can only assume that if it's the same strain from voss that it's the same strain from voss. I would recommend fining it, the first blondes took a while to drop clear and flocculated hard in the bottle. I have a few bottles left from 2 months ago, those that didn't fit into the keg, aged okay fro a blonde.

My next four or five beers will not be fermented with kveik. I'm doing three ipas (digital,macc and burton) and two lager fermented double brew day pilsner and marzen beers. I need a fourth keg it seems...

Have fun with the kveik, I found it to be a pretty damn hardy yeast that destroys sugar in no time flat. I also didn't pick up any off flavors with running it warm, bit still need to do a low and slow ferment with it
              groenspookasem
              Banned
              Last edited by groenspookasem; 7 February 2019, 14:41. Reason: what is this? a post for illiterate people? fixed everything, from punctuation to spelling. shame shame sham (sounds of shame

Comment

Just a Kveik question - what % attenuation did you guys get with Kveik yeast.

Ragnarok LC018: 68 C mash for 60 min, 1.040 OG - fermented at 40C for 5 days = 69.3 % attenuation.
                Harhm
                Last edited by Harhm; 15 February 2019, 07:17.

Comment

Pitched Ragnarok Kveik on Wednesday evening at 22 degrees C. Mash as 67C, 60min, 1.042OG. At 12hours, it was still at 22C but showing activity. I added heating pad to get it to my planned fermentation temp of 26C. At 24hours after pitching, temp was 26C and SG measured of 1.018. Thus far a 56% attenuation. Will check again tomorrow morning which will be at 60h mark. Should be close to finish by then. I can see myself bottling this on Sunday but will probably give more time for dry-hopping and cold crashing.

Sample was very cloudy. Though it tasted very clean, it had a lot of tropical fruit flavour (papaya comes to mind). Don't want to say too much at this stage as the hops would also have contributed to some of the fruit flavours and fermentation still under way. Since this is a split batch, it is going to be a very interesting comparison with the US-05 fermentation

What I find interesting is that as other brewers have noted, the fermentation seems fairly tame. Compared with the hefeweizen that overnight plugged the airlock, blew lid off and spewed yeast all over fermentation chamber, the Kveik fermentation looks really calm (like a slow lager fermentation). When I took measurements last night, the hefeweizen had only reached 18% attenuation over the same time frame.

For the first time using the Ragnarok Kveik, I will just ferment it out normally so that I know what we are working with. If I get a similar 70% attenuation, I might add a secondary strain like US-05 in future fermentations to get a better attenuation.

Comment

Do try at higher ferm temp, that's where the magic happens. I didn't take a reading during my porters fermentation (36C), but had krausen *blow* out the airlock at such speed that my ferm fridge needed a clean with evidence on all four panels. I did leave it at 36c for 3 days, then dropped to 21c for 4 days. As a darker beer, I could easily tell than it was very cloudy and fined it accordingly

Comment

Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
                      Do try at higher ferm temp, that's where the magic happens. I didn't take a reading during my porters fermentation (36C), but had krausen *blow* out the airlock at such speed that my ferm fridge needed a clean with evidence on all four panels. I did leave it at 36c for 3 days, then dropped to 21c for 4 days. As a darker beer, I could easily tell than it was very cloudy and fined it accordingly
                      Haha, I prefer not needing to clean my fermentation fridge due to blow-outs... I was trying out this lower temp to see if it could be used as a neutral yeast. Doesn't seem possible with Ragnarok at this stage but will know better in a couple of weeks and can then decide on how to use it going forward.

Comment

Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
                        To get the real flavour out of the yeast its best to ferment at higher recommended temps..
                        Why bottle? Kegit

Comment

Originally posted by Archers View Post
                          To get the real flavour out of the yeast its best to ferment at higher recommended temps..
                          Hi Archers, understood. I was trying to get less of the flavour out of the yeast...

Took a reading last night at 48hrs after pitching. Was down to 1.009, which calculates to a 78% Apparent Attenuation and looked like it might drop another point or so. Sample tasted significantly harsher than the one taken at 24hrs. Expect it to mellow out with a bit of patience.

Comment

Originally posted by Harhm View Post
                            KveikRagnarok LC018: 68 C mash for 60 min, 1.040 OG - fermented at 40C for 5 days = 69.3 % attenuation.
                            I did not cold crash this Blonde as close to 0C as I always do but just brought the temp down to 8C in my serving fridge for 2 days and bottled it as per normal. Its really good, used Magnum for bittering and Cascade with J17. After 2 weeks in the bottle its still a bit hazy. I'm fairly sure that the haze is mostly due to my process and not necessarily caused by the yeast.
                            Harhm
                            Last edited by Harhm; 4 March 2019, 12:53.

Comment

We should be able to confirm this when I bottle the Kveik as mine is still in the fermenter busy crashing at 1 degrees C as I've not yet managed to create the time to bottle... Not sure when I'm going to get around to it so expecting it to be pretty clear...

Comment

http://brulosophy.com/2019/04/08/fer...iment-results/

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X