Kveik liquid yeast in SA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Flying Brew View Post
    One of the last pale ales left of the first Ragnarok (kveik) brews. Doesn't look like it's interested in clearing up at all, so the turbidity is something I will expect with this strain as it looks pretty similar to the other pics on this thread. Will fine the next one as a test with gelatine.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2020[/ATTACH]
    Nice one, its still a very good looking beer
    2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

IMG-20190628-WA0000.jpg
      Here is the Cream Ale I brewed with Ragnarok in post #57. Centinial and S.Passion
      OG 1.035 fermented at 22C finished in 5 days. FG 1.007 Attenuation 79% abv 3.5% IBU 13. I did a 2 day cold crash @ 4C.

I bottled it 4 weeks ago.Light and crisp with citrus slight spice and orange pith, dry finish, nice lingering bitterness.
      I also didnt use gelatin to clear, It has been at 4c for the past 2 weeks I dont think it will clear more than this.
      Harhm
      Last edited by Harhm; 1 July 2019, 10:40.
      2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

That looks divine, I reckon that hop haze plays a big role in turbidity when it comes to kveik. I had some real clear beers using it, and noticed hazy ales when dry hopping kveik, finings helps and only clears up two weeks later in the keg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Comment

Looks Awesome Harhm. You, didn't share the ibu or fg. How low was your alc% sounds like you managed to get it low but not watery.

Sent from my SM-A750F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jannieverjaar View Post
            Looks Awesome Harhm. You, didn't share the ibu or fg. How low was your alc% sounds like you managed to get it low but not watery.

Sent from my SM-A750F using Tapatalk
            Thanks guys, I edited my post above to include FG and abv.

Comment

First run with Stranda kveik, the smell in the fermfridge is amazingly good.

Comment

Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
                First run with Stranda kveik, the smell in the fermfridge is amazingly good.
                How did the beer come out and where do you get your kveik strains from Groenspookasem? I've just been using the LC strain the last couple of months. Got some supplies at NFP yesterday and they are bringing in Hornindal and Oslo (neutral kveik strain) from the states. Pretty keen on bringing Hornindal on board. Interesting times.

Wondering if you guys also found that the Kveik can lead to a pretty light-ish body. Seems to be a consistent character between my brews with it.

https://www.experimentalbrew.com/pod...ing-long-beach

Comment

Originally posted by The Flying Brew View Post
                  Got some supplies at NFP yesterday and they are bringing in Hornindal and Oslo (neutral kveik strain) from the states.Wondering if you guys also found that the Kveik can lead to a pretty light-ish body. Seems to be a consistent character between my brews with it. https://www.experimentalbrew.com/pod...ing-long-beach
                  Any news from NFP ? Im looking for a Oslo culture.

Comment

I'm looking for a pretty neutral Kveik, around PTA/Fourways. Anyone got any leads?

Comment

You might be in luck Harhm. They posted to some groups yesterday that they have Aurora and Oslo left after fulfilling backorders.
                      Cheers,
                      Lang
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

I got mine from Kveik - Norwegian Beer Yeast - Buy/sell - Kjøp/salg super friendly bunch of people - direct from source, cheap as chips

#1 Gjernes (Voss)
                        #2 Rivenes (Voss)
                        #3 Stranda/Langlo (Stranda)
                        #4 Muri (Olden)
                        #5 Hornindal (Raftevold)
                        #6 Lærdal (Lærdal)
                        #7 Granvin (Voss)
                        #8 Tormodgarden(Sykkylven)
                        #9 Ebbegarden (Stordal)
                        #10 Framgarden (Stordal)
                        #11 Lida (Hornindal)
                        #14 Eitrheim (Hardanger)
                        #15 Nornes (Voss)
                        #16 Simonaitis (Joniškelis, Lithauen)
                        #17 Midtbust (Stordal)
                        #18 Gausemel (Hornindal)
                        #22 Stalljen (Hornindal)
                        #26 Arnegard (Ål)
                        #32 Jovaru (Lithuanian, OYL-033)
                        #38 Aurland (Aurland)
                        #39 Marina (Kshaushi, Russisk)
                        #40 Rima (Kshaushi, Russisk)
                        #41 Skare (Ørsta)
                        #43 Opshaug (Strandadalen)
                        #44 Jordal (Jordal)
                        #48 Hovden (Stranda)
                        #53 Vinje (Stordal)

As usaual:
                        Freeze tube.
                        Prices with international shipping:
                        20 USD / 15 GBP / 17 EUR

Comment

So you imported yours?

Comment

yup, can't recall the details, but was pretty quick and easy. the world is smaller with the internet about. i dont mind vendors turning a profit - but the price gouging in this country is effin ridiculous. Also, keep in mind that if you go this route, dont for the love of all things good and holy use sapo.

Comment

I've imported a few things and learned how SAPO is a mess, but I'm just wondering how cheap and effective it actually is to import liquid yeast

Comment

there's quite a few mail forwarders that you can use - google would give you results more accurately than me. I've had stuff from the US in about 3 days delivered to my desk. So bootleggers/yeastbay etc is now within reach. that's what grates me of the local vendors generally speaking, instead of doing a service with a marginal profit - it's always 100% or more added to the cost. pretty sure they go the same route and pay the same shipping and import fees, but double / triple the price to you and me. anyway it's around $10 per vial, from bootlegger/yeastbay, so you could get two for the cost of it locally and perhaps some variety to boot.

dont even get me started on cape town pricing. cam lock quote in cpt R1160 excl shipping. Got it in JHB for R150 exc shipping. near on 1000% markup !

Comment

Working...
                                X