Irish creamy red ale kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CraftyZA View Post
    I ferment as long as i can. Start ales at 16, then slowly work it up to 18. 14 days to ferment. 2 days at 20 for a cleanup, then another 4 days at 1 degree to cold crash. Pilsners and lagers crash for 14 days.

The 1 time I tried us05 fermentation only started on the 2nd day. Must have been a bad batch.
    I see my next experiment coming up:! Directly fill some bottles after a week then the rest after another week or two.
    Cheers,
    Lang
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

Originally posted by jannieverjaar View Post
      Man I would love a keganator. I'm watching @Langchop thread to see all the pitfalls.

Sent from my SM-A750F using Tapatalk
      Not doing a keganatorator I'm afraid due to space constraints, but am already taking the leap into kegging and will probably have a jockeybox-chillplate-ish setup
      Cheers,
      Lang
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Clearly I didn't have to add the gelatin. Now I'm worried that my bottle carbonation might struggle. It's only day 2!

Btw... I think you worry too much. Colour looks amazing and clarity is like crystals
        Cheers,
        Lang
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
          I make a starter and use Voss kveik yeast,
          Where did you pick this up? Anywhere in SA?

Comment

Originally posted by camsaway View Post
            http://www.wortsandall.co.za/showthr...-Crescat-Yeast

As per that thread, look like Crescat might stock that ?
            The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Originally posted by camsaway View Post
              I imported some from Norway - shipping is a pita, I also have some crescat that I nursed back to life from old stock.

I could share some if you're dead keen? I have some washed from my last brew and also some from the parent starter that I'd need to propagate first. Where are you based?
              groenspookasem
              Banned
              Last edited by groenspookasem; 23 December 2018, 21:31. Reason: meh

Comment

So time for an update. I took some to the family. My brother is the closest thing I have to a taste tester as he used to frequent Pretorias brew craft.
                First taste is a bit bitter but thereafter it's good! Still has a bit of a craft taste but in his words 'he's paid for worse beers. I like it but I can drink 2 or so at a time definitely not a session beer. Looks even better now

Cheers
                Jannieverjaarkoeldrank

Comment

Clearly I didn't have to add the gelatin. Now I'm worried that my bottle carbonation might struggle. It's only day 2!

Random:
                  Do not bottle your beer in clear bottles, unless you are using hop extract that will not be affected by (sun)light. You may end up with the beer that smells like the angry end of a skunk. (It is exactly the same chemical. )

Comment

So time for an update. I took some to the family. My brother is the closest thing I have to a taste tester as he used to frequent Pretorias brew craft.
                    First taste is a bit bitter but thereafter it's good! Still has a bit of a craft taste but in his words 'he's paid for worse beers. I like it but I can drink 2 or so at a time definitely not a session beer. Looks even better now

Cheers
                    Jannieverjaarkoeldrank

Good clarity!

For the style, it should not be bitter, so there may be an issue there.

As for the "tastes like craft" ... that might be a compliment or a massive red flag. Unfortunately a lot of people associate off flavours with "craft". Have a look at beer off-flavours/aromas and rate your beer against them. Your brother might be picking up a wild yeast infection in your beer.

Comment

Thanks. I'll read up on the flavors. I only bottled 4 in clear bottles. It's only so I can see the beer clear. It's also the test bottles to check carbonation. All gone now

Comment

Working...
                      X